News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:12:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beautiest control line model  (Read 26687 times)

Offline fred cesquim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
Beautiest control line model
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:17:18 PM »
i have asked Brazilian friends about what is the pretiest model airplane in our contry, we have agreed that Bene Rodrigue´s Cheyenne 2000 is the winner.
but what about the prettiest worldwide?
i have a few contenders, what are yours?
not in particular order:
BOB HUNT SATURN
BILL WERWAGE ARES
STEVE WOOLY ARGUS
ED CAPITANELLI STARDUSTER (you may think it´s odd to have this one listed, but since i´ve built one turned out to be a pretty surprise to me)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Re: Beautiest control line model
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »
This should be an interesting topic!  There are soooooo many ...

My top 3 picks:

1 Bob Palmer Thunderbird II
2 Bob Palmer Thunderbird II
3 Bob Palmer Thunderbird II

Dennis,
ducking now!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
My top 2 are:
1)Hands down -  Gialdini's Sting Ray
2) Wooley's Cobra

Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:31:12 PM »

Walkers Bad News
rad racer

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 04:31:46 PM »
If a 59 Ares doesn't get your motor running you should see a doctor.

I also think Dave Ree's T-38 was one of the most beautiful and unique CLPA ships I ever saw.

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »
totally agree with The Cobra!beatyfull

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »
One of my all-time faves is Paul's B-17 stunter. I saw him fly it at the 2001 Nats back when I was flying senior. Beautiful model and an amazing feat of engineering. Truest poetry in motion.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »
One of my all-time faves is Paul's B-17 stunter. Beautiful model and an amazing feat of engineering. Truest poetry in motion.

I'll second that.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »
For pretty airplanes, how's this one?

Al

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »
The Colossus is a great looking classic that you don't see every day.  Here's Gordan Delaney's Colossus.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 10:15:07 PM »
For artistry and detail, the ki-61 Tony that Gordan Delaney designed and built is truly a sight to behold.  Here is the matching pair of Tony's built by Gordy and Roger Kramar.  Roger and Gordan are terrific craftsman.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 06:08:14 AM »
USA-1 and Ballerina III

Always liked the Tucker Special too!

Sorry - don't have the pictures.

Offline Mel Gray

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 08:17:43 AM »
Hi Fred,

I know that this is a fun question and topic but I must say that, just like asking "Who's the most beautiful woman in the world?", there can be no correct answer.  They are all beautiful.

Mel
Mel Gray
Monument, CO  80132
AMA63434
NAR72053

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »
I know I'm showing my age, but back in the day it was the Veco Thunderbird with up right engine and followed by the Nobler green box version.  Since then it has been almost all of them.   Now for the homeliest design has to be Wild Bill Netzband's(rest his soul) Gold Brick which I should get flying again.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
Love these-

Ares
Argus
Cobra
Quasar
Stiletto
Thunderbird 2

Vr,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
I love so many of them,but for pure style and sexiness nothing beats an Ares in my opinion.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »
My choice is the Starlight by Charles Mackey.
A beautiful design and a great flying plane.
Shown here with Charles lovely wife Birdella.
My second choice would be Ron Burn's Wildcat.

Bob Z.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 05:24:48 PM »
Now are we talking "Design" or "Paint Job"?

If you are talking "Design" then.....

And you have to classify that into catagories, ie., "I" beam, Cap stripped, Fully sheeted, solid, etc., etc.

And if its "Paint" job .....

Personally, I don't like any paint job that is real busy, or gawdy.  ~^

Jerry

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
Now are we talking "Design" or "Paint Job"?

If you are talking "Design" then.....

And you have to classify that into catagories, ie., "I" beam, Cap stripped, Fully sheeted, solid, etc., etc.

And if its "Paint" job .....

Personally, I don't like any paint job that is real busy, or gawdy.  ~^

Jerry

Jerry,

Observant reply.   H^^

Your opinion means a great deal to me.

How well or not so well did you view my efforts with the ARGO and the 007 Skyfall Flite Streak?

Please, I can take it. Well kinda.  :'( 

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 07:13:53 PM »
Jerry,

Observant reply.   H^^

Your opinion means a great deal to me.

How well or not so well did you view my efforts with the ARGO and the 007 Skyfall Flite Streak?

Please, I can take it. Well kinda.  :'( 

CB

Charles,

You do absolutely beautiful work from the pictures I've seen posted! If I were you I'd be mighty proud and happy to show off my work.  y1

Actually, I'm a one, maybe three color paint kind of guy....

Cheers, Jerry 

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 07:30:33 PM »
For pretty airplanes, how's this one?

Al

Critical Mass is probably my favorite of his bunch, but any of Al's models could be in the running for this title.  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 07:31:05 PM »
[quote author=Robert Zambelli

Bob Z.

Bob

You beat me to it! This is the plane that caused the huge controversy at the 2002(?) Nats over being docked for the weathered finish. It was judged, apparently, on the premise that a properly finished stunt design shone lika new car and could be reduced to a Nobler with a sheet of sandpaper. Ron's scale weathering rivaled the look the plastic model masters were capable of.

I'd give Al Rabes Critical Mass (or any of his others) the nod.

Ara

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »

Bob Z.

I'd forgotten about that one. An incredible model judging from the very few photos I've seen, and another of my all time favorites.

Wayne Willey

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 04:22:33 AM »

Charles,

You do absolutely beautiful work from the pictures I've seen posted! If I were you I'd be mighty proud and happy to show off my work.  y1
Actually, I'm a one, maybe three color paint kind of guy....
Cheers, Jerry

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry,

I thought I would reply while I was taking a pain pill and throwing up. Not necessarily in that order.

I had surgery.  :X

Anyway,

Thank you for the reply.

The Skyfall 007 Flite Streak.

I think I counted 7 colors on the Skyfall 007 Flite Streak. It's not all paint.

I explained in the finishing and painting build of the Skyfall 007, I was only going to use what Krylon aerosol can paint I already had hanging around, except for the final clear coat.

You can blame RknRusty for my moves on the FS because it was Rusty who convinced me to try aerosol cans.

And I was reluctant because I had a lifetime of using professional spray equipment, my job and my living and that's a lot of years, even with that said, I still opted to use Rusty Rattle Cans, Vinyl Graphics and Paint Masks from CFC Graphics. I couldn't say no to Rusty's pitch. He's good!

Hey! No clean up and no wasted paint material. I like that. You get better each time if you pay attention while using them.

The ARGO.

I have absolutely no idea how many colors are on the ARGO model? Fortunately I cannot count that high.  n~

Rusty Rattle Cans, Vinyl Graphics, Paint Masks and a final clear coat, so I manage to get it done. Not too shabby.

Looks just as good as the photo, even better in person. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

I'm feeling a bit better and don't think I'll be sick again, maybe tomorrow? :X so I'll reply a bit longer.  

Will you please critique my Mig-3? Yes, it has more than your respected number of colors, but I followed a scheme I found on line. Great scheme so I couldn't pass it up.

Tamiya water based paint forward of the LE only, applied with an Air Brush and Rusty Rattle Cans again, Vinyl Graphics from CFC Graphics and the final clear coat. Not to mention a full kinda scale cockpit with over 300 separate hand made pieces, all painted by hand or aerosol cans. Yes, I'm nuts, the proof is me getting this surgery at my age.

BTW. CFC Graphics gets plenty of business from me, good thing he's inexpensive.  ;D

I know the Mig-3 may be a bit overdone with surface detailing because this model may never see a contest but I really love putting together models that are creative and different in their own way and without using expensive professional equipment.

So, you may not want to try this at home without using expensive professional equipment?

Jerry, remember, I can take it, well almost, so let me know what you think? I really don't get to see many other models to compare?

Thanks in advance.

CB

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 05:10:47 AM »
I'd forgotten about that one. An incredible model judging from the very few photos I've seen, and another of my all time favorites.

It was 1988       
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 05:53:31 AM »

It was 1988     

At the Norfolk Nats.  Dick Houser and I walked into the room and there was the F4F in the back row (and if I remember correctly, all by itself!)  We assumed that they had pulled it off the front row and put it there to ensure everyone saw it.  I mean, why else would it be sitting there?  It could have been entered in scale (except for the stunt geometries) and trophied.

I guess we shouldn't have been surprised.  At the very first Nats I went to (one of the ones at Chicopee) I was entering a Magician 35 that I'd been flying a few years learning the pattern.  Granted it wasn't too much to look at.  In the beauty judging not only did they put it in the last row, they set it out in the yard just outside the entrance to the building!  Dick was really upset by that treatment.  I just laughed.   Absolutely true story!!

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 09:15:49 AM »
I will limit this to models I've seen in person, in no particular order.

Les McDonald's Tropicaire and all his Stiletto's
Bill Werewage's P-47's
Ron Harding's P-40 at the Lake Charles Nats

Curt

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
never heard of the Colossus or the Staright, really lovely planes!
this is just for fun, no contest at all, good so we can learn more about great designs
i am talkingk about model lines, not finishes
BTW CHarles, you´re a great modeller and do outstanding paint work, intricate details!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 10:22:23 AM »
Fred,

Thank you for that.

Here's one of your fellow modelers from Brazil. I know you have seen his work.

Marcelo Cremon.

I'd like to know how he does that great mask wrap? Fits perfect everywhere? I believe it's all paint. Probably drew it in CAD?

All outstanding models these are of his, requiring hours of building and Marcelo's fine detail and finishing.

The design and work in that take apart! Wow!  H^^

Marcelo Cremon, a fellow modeler doing excellent work.

Thanks again Fred.

CB

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »
Maybe it's old age, but other than my flippant "Bob Palmer's Thunderbird II" response - well, I've been around long enough to see more beautiful stunt models than I can possibly remember.

Lots of good responses here!  A few "Amens!":

1 - Ron Burns' F4F Wildcat was probably one of the best "finishes" ever.  Sad that judges at that level were so stuck on the status quo, but I think in truth that was a problem for the event for many years.  Has it changed?

2- My first reaction to the question was to think "lines", I'm with Jerry Arana.  Completely setting aside finish, Palmer's TBird, Phelps' Patriot, and about a dozen Ares-Argus-You name it I-Beams come to mind.

3 - Regarding finish: I'm with Jerry again.  Some like coffee; I can't stand the stuff but love tea.  Personally I think what an artist can do with 2, 3 or 4 colors is amazing.  With all due respect Charles, your graphics are out of this world - but I think too much simply looks "busy" and detracts from graceful lines ...  (Song playing now: "Tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free ...").  And remember, I still think your best graphics are things like "The New American"! - Three (3) colors counting white !!!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »

Bob Z.

Bob

You beat me to it! This is the plane that caused the huge controversy at the 2002(?) Nats over being docked for the weathered finish. It was judged, apparently, on the premise that a properly finished stunt design shone lika new car and could be reduced to a Nobler with a sheet of sandpaper. Ron's scale weathering rivaled the look the plastic model masters were capable of.

I'd give Al Rabes Critical Mass (or any of his others) the nod.

Ara

I am not sure at which Nats that Ron Burns Wildcat received the low score in appearance points.  It is my understanding that the appearance judges were RC Pylon racers in an attempt to use judges without any preconceived ideas about designers, builders or individuals involved with those CLPA aircraft.  Apparently, the RC pylon event determines takeoff order based on appearance which in that event meant multiple colors (evidently bright being an important factor) and shine.  That impressively finished "weathered" F-4 was doomed.

(I witnessed the demise of Ron's Wildcat at a contest in Whittier Narrows several years later.)

Keith

Eric Viglione

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »
Well, I've been to Muncie enough times to know what a 20 or 19 pointer looks like... tough crowd.

But, I don't think that was really the question asked, I am guessing we are strictly talking about the aesthetics of a design itself? Otherwise I could rattle off top finishers pretty quick...

For looks, classic has to go to the Cobra or Ares, hard choice. For 70's or 80's foamy stunt, Martine's Mariner or Buso's Vegas, for modern stunt, man, so hard to choose... I really like the lines and swoopy tips of Katana, that's why I built one, (and because of how it fly's when I test flew a pattern on Randy's I was sold)... but the lines and cowl work of something like Ted's Trivial's are dead sexy and hard to deny. Derek's Evolution, or Doug's Bear's & Furias have side views I like to see in flight.

Honorable mention has to go to the dark horse of Uncle Jimby's Systrema, it was a sight to behold... quite the looker, even if I might have chose a different shade than purple, heh heh.

So many choices! I guess that is why our shops are stacked with plan's and kits that we'll never have time to build in our lives... lot's of great choices.

EricV

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:21:09 PM by Eric Viglione »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »
I believe an Imitation II designed and built by Bob Duncan. Information from Brett Buck.

I saved the photo because I liked the model.

Really interesting design and model.

CB

Edited for proper designer and Builder.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:31:11 PM by Avaiojet »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »
I believe an Imitation II design by Ted? I saved the photo because I liked it.

That one is designed/built by Bob Duncan - who has a garage full of models of similar quality. Another one of those guys no one hears about or knows about, because making it 2400 miles to the NATS (where he would be front row/20 point candidate year after year) is too much of a trip.

Brett

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »
    That one is designed/built by Bob Duncan - who has a garage full of models of similar quality. Another one of those guys no one hears about or knows about, because making it 2400 miles to the NATS (where he would be front row/20 point candidate year after year) is too much of a trip.

Brett

Brett,

Credit for this design and the build goes to Bob Duncan. Thank you for that correction.

I would be interested in knowing a bit about this model? Clearly thought went into the design. Span would be a start and engines used?

I have this ridiculous twin project I was going to start, actually salvaging a used R/C Beech Twin tail 18, pointless when you really think about it.

So,  having plans for this model would be exciting. I like it a great deal and I would build one. I am looking for a couple of twin engines NIB.

I would also be interested in seeing other models that Bob Duncan my have in his garage. Drone?

I actually misplaced my Mig-3 photos and stumbled onto Bob Duncan's design by accident looking for the Mig-3 file. I'm sure I've had this photo for a good while because I forgot all about it. Obvious why I saved it.

Fruitless to copy a photo and certainly not the way to go. The only way to build the model is from Bob Duncan's plans.

Thanks again for that correction.

CB

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »
Brett,

Credit for this design and the build goes to Bob Duncan. Thank you for that correction.

I would be interested in knowing a bit about this model? Clearly thought went into the design. Span would be a start and engines used?

As far as I know, it's an Imitation, just with two engine nacelles. I think it is two "new" 25LAs. I flew this model and it flies very well, about like the original, except with much more/better power than a single ST46. I think he also has an twin electric version, but all of these flights were done in the 100+ degree Woodland sun after 8 hours of judging, so I may be forgetting the details.

Ted had a notion to build one wth 2 20FPs, and in fact there may be a Bobby Hunt lost-foam wing jig in his garage somewhere for the project, but I have no idea whether or not Bob used this as inspiration or not. 2 20FPs would be PLENTY of power for the airplane, really, overkill.

I would note again, the quality of the finish on this and all of Bob's airplanes is as good as it gets, clean and flawless, better than MANY NATs concours' winners.  And he has a bunch of them.

Brett

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 03:46:45 PM »
Gordan Delany's plush interiored Bellanca?
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry,

I thought I would reply while I was taking a pain pill and throwing up. Not necessarily in that order.

I had surgery.  :X

Anyway,

Thank you for the reply.

The Skyfall 007 Flite Streak.

I think I counted 7 colors on the Skyfall 007 Flite Streak. It's not all paint.

I explained in the finishing and painting build of the Skyfall 007, I was only going to use what Krylon aerosol can paint I already had hanging around, except for the final clear coat.

You can blame RknRusty for my moves on the FS because it was Rusty who convinced me to try aerosol cans.

And I was reluctant because I had a lifetime of using professional spray equipment, my job and my living and that's a lot of years, even with that said, I still opted to use Rusty Rattle Cans, Vinyl Graphics and Paint Masks from CFC Graphics. I couldn't say no to Rusty's pitch. He's good!

Hey! No clean up and no wasted paint material. I like that. You get better each time if you pay attention while using them.

The ARGO.

I have absolutely no idea how many colors are on the ARGO model? Fortunately I cannot count that high.  n~

Rusty Rattle Cans, Vinyl Graphics, Paint Masks and a final clear coat, so I manage to get it done. Not too shabby.

Looks just as good as the photo, even better in person. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

I'm feeling a bit better and don't think I'll be sick again, maybe tomorrow? :X so I'll reply a bit longer.  

Will you please critique my Mig-3? Yes, it has more than your respected number of colors, but I followed a scheme I found on line. Great scheme so I couldn't pass it up.

Tamiya water based paint forward of the LE only, applied with an Air Brush and Rusty Rattle Cans again, Vinyl Graphics from CFC Graphics and the final clear coat. Not to mention a full kinda scale cockpit with over 300 separate hand made pieces, all painted by hand or aerosol cans.

I know the Mig-3 may be a bit overdone with surface detailing because this model may never see a contest but I really love putting together models that are creative and different in their own way and without using expensive professional equipment.

Charles,

I personally love detailed canopies. Yours is out standing BUT, scale finishes won't get very many points, as mentioned in other posts, as a "Shinny" very drtailed, paint job will. Unfortunate but true. AFAIC one color applied perfectly is harder to do than several (busy) colors to hide small flaws in paint lines.

With the exception of Larry Fernandez.............How he hides those mono coat seams is beyond me! LL~ LL~ LL~

Sorry Larry, couldn't resist.

Jerry

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 04:32:54 PM »
 As far as I know, it's an Imitation, just with two engine nacelles. I think it is two "new" 25LAs. I flew this model and it flies very well, about like the original, except with much more/better power than a single ST46. I think he also has an twin electric version, but all of these flights were done in the 100+ degree Woodland sun after 8 hours of judging, so I may be forgetting the details.

Ted had a notion to build one wth 2 20FPs, and in fact there may be a Bobby Hunt lost-foam wing jig in his garage somewhere for the project, but I have no idea whether or not Bob used this as inspiration or not. 2 20FPs would be PLENTY of power for the airplane, really, overkill.

I would note again, the quality of the finish on this and all of Bob's airplanes is as good as it gets, clean and flawless, better than MANY NATs concours' winners.  And he has a bunch of them.

Brett

I had two OS LA 25's NIB, I never should have sold them.

Most likely Bob Duncan has things going there, he could have increased the span an inch or two to accommodate both engines, looks like offset on the outboard nacelle, some flap area between the fuse and the nacelles and probably a few other treatments that are important. Personal set-up secrets.

Do you know Bob Duncan well enough to get plans? I could make a couple of copies and mail what he sends back.

I wouldn't play around with my usual antics, it's not the model for that, I would build it right and you know I can do that. I did have interest in it, could have been a year or so when I pulled the photo off line. it's really an interesting design and as you say, the surface appears to be flawless. Gotta love a builder that pays attention to details.

The scheme was thought out also and he did a fine job with color choice.

It's unusual and exciting, I could build it over the winter.

What say, can you get plans?

It'll keep me from this stupid Beech 18, which I should toss. If you saw a photo of this Beech you would have plans sent overnight.

About time I build a real performing model. I'm up for it.

CB

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
    You must have read that Brett offered up that it was just an standard Imitation with two engines, as far as he remembered. You do read other posts don't you? If so I think you will remember that the Imitation was discussed in another thread on the forums, in which the plans were presented and source for them mentioned. All you need to do is order those plans and add your own embellishments that you mentioned since you don't think that Ted Fancher and Mr. Duncan did quite a good enough job for you.  I also noticed that you were the only poster presenting his or her own airplanes, even though they haven't been flown and are not even in the same universe as the other models mentioned. I think this is just another clear example of a thread hijack by "Hey look at me and my hanger queens!" Mr. Aviojet.
   LET"S GO BLUES!!!!!
  On to the next round of the playoffs!

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2017, 05:22:25 PM »
Dennis,

I haven't seen that graphic in eons! There is no more New American ...

I know color well and I know what works for my tastes and interests ...

Charles, I don't even remember the design of the "New American" - what I really, really liked is the simple graphic I posted.  Which is why I've saved it!  As I implied, tastes vary.  I much prefer simple color combinations; your own mileage can and will vary.

Funny story though: several years ago a friend and I decided to check out an art fair.  As we walked through the front door I pointed out 3 paintings - quite distant from us - that I said had to have done well.  Each was a tasteful pattern of simple colors.  And as we drew near enough to see the details, we found each had received a Blue Ribbon award.

I don't believe we need to be an artist to appreciate great art, nor a Nats winning flier to appreciate a great stunt pattern ...

Just my view, others are free to disagree.

Dennis,
and again - I love this graphic!

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »

I will nominate The U Name It by Larry Scarinzi. I think that this stunter is one of the most beautiful stunters in the world.
                                                                                                                                                                              Juan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »
Yes, that one was way ahead of its time. #^ #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »
Love the Quasar
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2017, 08:33:23 PM »
Keith Trostle's Rabe Bearcat in Gulfhawk livery: a thing of beauty!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2017, 05:17:57 AM »
I am not sure at which Nats that Ron Burns Wildcat received the low score in appearance points.  It is my understanding that the appearance judges were RC Pylon racers in an attempt to use judges without any preconceived ideas about designers, builders or individuals involved with those CLPA aircraft.  Apparently, the RC pylon event determines takeoff order based on appearance which in that event meant multiple colors (evidently bright being an important factor) and shine.  That impressively finished "weathered" F-4 was doomed.

Keith

Keith

Thanks for that bit of history. Guess I'm not steamed anymore knowing it wasn't the CLPA community that judged Ron's Wildcat so unfairly.

Ara

Offline Alexey Gorbunov

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2017, 05:52:55 AM »
Jack & John Sunderland Chevelle

Dwayne

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
Lot's of beautiful planes out there, for me it will always be classic beamers. I remember one back in the  80's that was red and flew clockwise only saw it once but what a stunner. y1

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
Really a nice color choice on this model. The Golden Era.

Outstanding!

CB

Offline Alexey Gorbunov

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
Looks like the most beauiest hot-rod!  CLP** (PE**)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here