News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Be careful where you “practice”  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Be careful where you “practice”
« on: October 24, 2020, 10:39:07 AM »
Be careful where you practice....

At work, and in my machines cycle time I wrote down the pattern. Then started “flying” it with an imaginary handle. Everything was going well until I heard someone behind me saying “what are you doing?  I said that I trying to memorize the stunt pattern.....I thought that was obvious.....

Well now it’s break time and they’re all sitting on one side of the room , apparently worried that whatever it is is catching.....😂
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Be careful where you “practice”
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:49:14 AM »

At work, and in my machines cycle time I wrote down the pattern. Then started “flying” it with an imaginary handle. Everything was going well until I heard someone behind me saying “what are you doing?  I said that I trying to memorize the stunt pattern.....I thought that was obvious.....

Well now it’s break time and they’re all sitting on one side of the room , apparently worried that whatever it is is catching.....😂

Scaring the "normals" is part of the appeal.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 12:45:41 PM »
I once memorized the modern stunt routine while on a 5 hour flight from Honolulu to San Francisco.  Repetition, over and over, for 5 hours ensured that I would never make a mistake in pattern sequence.

I used to take every opportunity to practice the stunt schedule, even in poor weather" cold, wind.

After I quit competition flying,  I now carefully choose flying conditions, opting only for warm days, and calm winds.  It is now a lot more fun to spend a day at the flying field.  I can now make an awful pattern, and not punish myself for mistakes.  Who cares?

There is no more any "practice".
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »
I flew about 50 patterns in my classroom between classes while still building my first Twister. The first time I flew my twister I flew it in at a 45 degree angle on the reverse pull out of the wingover because I assumed a real, untrimmed, plane would perform the same as my imaginary plane I'd been flying in my head. The first of many "imagination meets reality" experiences.

Offline Mike Danford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 01:05:16 PM »
Sitting around one late evening at Brodak’s, Dan Banjok had a gnat buzzing around him... rather than shoo it away line most people, he immediately grabbed an imaginary handle and pretended he was flying the gnat...

I about peed myself... hilarious. 

Your coworkers wouldn’t be so skeptical if you had at least been flying a gnat... but even an imaginary plane?!!

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
I flew about 50 patterns in my classroom between classes while still building my first Twister. The first time I flew my twister I flew it in at a 45 degree angle on the reverse pull out of the wingover because I assumed a real, untrimmed, plane would perform the same as my imaginary plane I'd been flying in my head. The first of many "imagination meets reality" experiences.
Oh my!!!  That’ll leave a mark..... LL~
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 03:32:51 PM »

You should have followed up with this . That work is a 4 letter word with no redeeming social value and you were simple utilizing your mental powers on a more salient problem.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 06:58:58 PM »
I just figure it out as I go. Starts with the RWO, then various loops, myriad horizontal 8's, verticals and overhead stuff. I don't think I've ever missed doing a maneuver as a way to avoid getting Pattern Points. It'd be easy enough to forget the hourglass. There are others that I have done, however.

We only know one guy that flew an official flight but didn't do the RWO. Burned an attempt with that snafu, but at least his tailwheel didn't fall off, and he didn't fall on his butt during the landing. On that flight, that is.  VD~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 11:06:21 AM »
Once upon a time I "dry flew" patterns all the time when I was pretty sure no one was watching until I discovered that it was not helping, in fact it was hurting.  Maneuvers were growing and intersections started overlapping.  Then one day I figured out why.  When I hit an intersection or a corner in my imaginary pattern the plane had already passed it in the real world.  So I quit doing the arm motion stuff and just let my mind draw the maneuvers and picture my plane following them, sort of a Fancherized daydream.  That worked,  Ted would be proud.  Now my problem is getting the plane off of the circle after the flight.  It just wants to do it again. 

Skipping a maneuver - Flew my first full competition pattern somewhere around 1962.  In all the years from then till 2017 I never lost pattern points due to pilot error. ;D  Then at the Gieseke memorial I blurted out "OMG did I forget the F'n triangles" just after finishing the horizontal 8. :o (Don't engage in excited utterances while flying electric) ~^  I looked at the judges and they nodded back.  I added them  to the end and they scored them sans pattern points.

To this day I still call out the next maneuver on officials.  What is really scary is that when I drift off into a stunt daydream (like you never do that?) it is always a triangle.  I am sure that there is a psychological disorder that covers this.  Probably something like Dreiwinkel's syndrome.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 09:51:00 PM »
Jut tell them its a new form of Feng Shui practise , and bring a pile of spare handles to work .

When the Chinese Government finds out , theyll have the whole Chinese stunt team arrested ! .

Advertise Here

Advertise Here