News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:20:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trophy Trainer nears completions.  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Trophy Trainer nears completions.
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »
Well the Trophy Trainer is nearing completion.  I have some minor touch ups and the tank installation to do and it will be ready to fly.  I think Tom Warden would be pleased, I hope so.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Trophy Trainer nears completions.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:47:33 PM »
Needs decals.  You should put pressure on your supplier to get them done!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
Looking good Andrew!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »
                      Andrew ,  how much does it weigh and what are you going to power it with ?

Bill Barber
AMA 325076

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:36:32 PM »
To all
Thanks for the kind words, all up less spinner it weights just over 34oz.  It is powered by a Brodak .40 currently swinging a 11x5 APC prop.  If anybody has a suggestion for a three blade that works well with a Brodak 40 I am eager to hear from you.  As far as the decals I intend to put lots of pressure on my supplier ASAP Larry....

Now that phase I of the "Plan" is nearing completion I will be able to put my full attention on Phase II the new Humongous and is nearing completion as well.  Yes, I have been building two new planes at the  same time.  Both planes are slated for use at next years VSC.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »
Hey it loks great so far.  All you need is numbers as some times I think some go over board on graphics.  Look at Jimmy Rhoades plane, number only.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
Thanks Doc, but I do have an update.  The weight I stated was wrong, it was due to the way I read the scale dial.  It's really 43ozs.  It read 2lbs 11oz, oh well I went from very happy to now so very happy but only flight testing will tell how well it flies and that's coming soon.
Andy ???
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »
Andy; good looking TT! My TT weighs in at 52 oz with an LA 46. I'm going to build another, hopefully this year. At your weight the B40 should do just fine. Keep us posted how you like it's flight characteristics. My Chipmonk is B40 powered, but I've never put a three blade prop on it, so I'm no help there.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
HI Andrew,

Many have great results with the APC 10 1/2 X 4 1/2.  That would give you another 1/4" clearance.  A repitched, cut down 11" CF prop *might* be the only option for a 3 bld.   ???

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Fred Vander Hoek

• VanCam
  • New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:38:03 AM »
Hi Andrew,
 I just ran across the thread. I cant help but admire the great job you have done on your TT. I scratch built (2) of the original .35 size TTs back in the 70s. A very good Friend of mine Virgil Wilbur gave me the plans. I won 2nd place in my first ever Novice Stunt contest with a (Avitar) Red and white Trophy Trainer powered by a O.S.Max .35S. As I recall they were great flyers. Good Luck with yours!
Best regards,
~VanCam

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:45:53 AM »
It looks like an I-beam wing on this TT.  Is it?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Fred Vander Hoek

• VanCam
  • New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 10:57:53 AM »
Yes Sir, I really liked the I-Beam Concept back then. I hand drawn up my own plans for it. I still have some of the plans in storage about a hundred miles from where I live now. I covered the intire model with light silk span. It's been so long I cant remember the AUW. Tom Lay did his handy work on the O.S. Max 35s.
~Fred

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
 Looks great! It might be worth trying a black Tornado 10x6 3 blade on the Brodak. That prop works well on a lot of stuff. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Fred Vander Hoek

• VanCam
  • New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »
   Here is the Red & White TT before paint. I tried to lighten things up just because I liked doing things like that. It seemed to pay off when flying the pattern. BTW. I nicked named the 2nd TT, ITT.
 I am looking forward to hearing about Andrew's TT when she maideneds.
~Fred

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 03:20:36 PM »
It's really amazing to see all the different versions of this fine plane.  I-Beams, built of flaps and elevators, it really is cool.  The original plans I got from Tom many decades ago were very much like what I built this time.  I never new of the other versions.

Here is an update, the plane has been to the field a couple of times and I have settled on the APC 10.5x4.5, it seems to work best with my Brodak-40.  I also had to replace the NVA, it was sucking air causing the plane to go lean but only in the air.  The plane shows great promise, it corners very well and if all goes well tomorrow it will be entered in it's first contest this coming Saturday.  Oh and one last note, the stencils have been ordered from my friend Stan Tyler for the name and AMA number they will be painted on in blue.  That will pay homage to the red, white, and blue color scheme Tom Warden used on the original.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »
Glad to hear it is going so well, Andrew!  Good luck on the contest trail.

Well, this thread has gotten me fired up to build the TT.  I got the plans a while back and Tom Lay sent me some pictures of the Warden built TT used in the movie by Tom.

Got a couple T&L McCoy .40 Red Heads, so I am going with one of those.  Need to use them on something! LOL!!

Sweet looking TTs guys, and I especially like the Bronze and gold one, Fred!  It is sweet!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »
Thanks Bill.  All in all things when quite well at the contest, as my friends were saying the plane flies much better than I do.  The plane corners very well and in general will only get better as I get better flying it.  I just got the stencils from Stan Tyler to paint the name and my AMA numbers on the wing.  The Brodak 40 is more than enough power for the plane, it stays tight in the overheads and handled the moderate wind we had quite well.  Good luck building yours I am sure you will enjoy it.  My friend Dennis Coleman has the Umland kit and after seeing mine fly he is now stoked to build his.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »
Andrew, you are way ahead of me.  Glad to hear the TT is working for ya.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 11:57:41 PM »
Hi Andrew,
 I just ran across the thread. I cant help but admire the great job you have done on your TT. I scratch built (2) of the original .35 size TTs back in the 70s. A very good Friend of mine Virgil Wilbur gave me the plans. I won 2nd place in my first ever Novice Stunt contest with a (Avitar) Red and white Trophy Trainer powered by a O.S.Max .35S. As I recall they were great flyers. Good Luck with yours!
Best regards,
~VanCam
As a very young pup during the 50's I flew with a "Virgil". As I recall a good flyer and made nice airplanes. We flew in the Bell Gardens area of Southern California, give or take a city or two. The name Virgil Wilbur is so familiar that it makes me wonder. I don't know his age then, but I'm guessing he would have been in his early 20's or so.

Any Chance this is the same Wilbur???

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Fred Vander Hoek

• VanCam
  • New Pilot
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »
Hey Brian,
 Yep, Bell Gardens that would Be thee Virgil Wilbur for sure. Posted is a photo with Virg in the back ground getting out of the sun to cool off. Picture was taken at Garr High School where the 91 & the 605 fwys collide in the mid 70s.
~VanCam

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 06:18:02 PM »
Hey Brian,
 Yep, Bell Gardens that would Be thee Virgil Wilbur for sure. Posted is a photo with Virg in the back ground getting out of the sun to cool off. Picture was taken at Garr High School where the 91 & the 605 fwys collide in the mid 70s.
~VanCam
Thanks for the response, any idea what became of him? I know he wouldn't remember me from Adam, so no point going down that road. I'm just curious how he is and if he still flys. Were his planes as good looking as I recall, or do I just remember them as a small kid looking at a grownup's plane and thinking "how cool".

Thanks for the photo, wish it was bigger.  y1

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here