News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:32:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Atlantis - "Who is this guy"  (Read 10542 times)

Offline Marco Beschizza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Atlantis - "Who is this guy"
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »
In reply to a question by Bryan Higgins  - June 06 2009 "Who is that Guy"

After twenty years out of Stunt I am slowly but surely being drawn back into Stunt and believe I will be called a ;re-tread", and by chance I came across this question in Stunthanger while trying to track down Doug Harlow in Australia.

I am the guy that built the Atlantis that Bryan asked about in the picture you posted and air brushed it. In all I built 5 Atlantis models, 1978 - 1986 all the same design except I called them different names, changed the plane to one piece and the wing construction to Detroit to save weight from No.2. Time Traveler (No.2) was the most spectacular and won several awards at the Model Engineering Exhibition in London and the Badger Air Brush trophy. Number 3 Time Warp was lost of the first flight when a line snapped and the last Polaris which I built two of, 4 & 5 where the best of the series for me in Stunt. Sadly no pictures exist.

How I came to build these models will be of interest. Doug Harlow came to England with this Atlantis to fly in the World Championships, if I remember correctly it was in 1976-7. He was well known down under and the Aussie team was a great bunch of guys. I got on with them all well as I had quite few Aussie friends I had all ready learned how to drink Aussie style which is not great for one eyesight the next day.

His plane was stunning not only in size but also in how he finished it and Doug was nothing less than an admirable character. His Atlantis in pure white with a fine pin strip layout and full sheet construction was probably the most impressive model in shear size to turn out in England at that time. However after the champs had ended Doug decided not to ship it back and put it up for sale, so I bought it off him. The next six months I studied it completely, flew it extensively, drew up plans and started my period building the Atlantis. The plane flew better than I could fly at that time as I was using scaled up Noblers and so I had a teaching ground to improve upon by having a world class model.

I believe the Atlantis did originate from a USA-1 but cannot be sure or at least influenced Doug to design his Atlantis. Doug's model was 62 inches wing span and flew around corners like a 20 ton duck (excuse the phrase Doug, no disrespect) as it was near or over 70 ounces if I remember correctly, so I have no doubt why he laid on the ground to fly overhead eights, he probably had twenty pounds of lead in both trouser pockets. It was powered by and Enya 45 which was ok but I felt left the plane, in my opinion grossly underpowered. So you had to fly in carefully and smoothly which Doug did to perfection. I went down the G60 Super Tiger road and they then pulled steady and well and got the weight down as well to 55 ounces with less paint and turned towards more performance than looks using ST45's rear exhaust, ring-less on Polaris 4 & 5. I also improved the appearance by changing a few curves which I felt made the plane more attractive in the air. But the entire series was all airbrushed to perfection which became kind of my signature. The one on the Annual stunned everyone at the Nationals as no one had seen anything like this before. People walked over from everywhere, even from free flight and the Nitro sniffers down at the speed circles as well. Most admired the paint, others call it sacrilege. Time Traveler was probably the most elaborate air brushed plane and was in dark blue, but did not fly well. That model became a wall piece. The Polaris pair still 62 inch wing span at 55 ounces flu like birds and were bright red. It was without doubt the most memorable period in my life and the friendships I made across Europe while flying you cannot quantify. Those thoughts never left me.

So now it seems I am destined to build another Atlantis, got a itch that does not go away, probably a Polaris and my wife seeing all this past activity has given it the thumbs up. I now live in the USA, near Seattle, have found a club and flying field, got a good work shop so time to join, draw up some plans, build jigs, find some wood and you know the rest.

Anyway Bryan,  hope this answers your question fully even if a little late, and yes Elliot, thank you for your kind reply to Bryan and you did spell my name right. And who ever thought up Stunthangers, full marks, it a great site.

With kindest regards to all the line pullers out there,

Marco  8)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Atlantis - "Who is this guy"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:52:26 AM »
Air brushing is an art into itself.  Glad you are back.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »
Near Seattle?  Jolly good.  Welcome.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:23:27 AM »
Marco,
Great seeing that you have resurfaced.
I remember so well visiting your home in London and admiring your air brush skills during the 78 Championships.
You and your wife were kind, generous hosts and I so remember the "furry" decor of your comfortable home. I guess we were all "Hippies" back then.
Given the opportunity, you and I could probably have gotten into all sorts of trouble back then.
One question. Why did you move from cold, wet England to cold , wet Seattle?

Les McDonald
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »
Marco,

Seattle? That's Awesome. There is quite a group around here for you to fly with. Watch out for Howard.   ;D

We have several flying sites that work out pretty well and lots of pilots. With all that airbrush work, we will just have to introduce you to Shultzie.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:59:05 PM »
 Why did you move from cold, wet England to cold , wet Seattle?

Les McDonald

Hey....Watch it buster......Some of us like it up here!! #^

Nothing wrong with a little snow at times!   

From somewhere near Seattle...

Paul Walker

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:01:41 PM »
Why did you move from cold, wet England to cold , wet Seattle?

Les McDonald

Hey....Watch it buster......Some of us like it up here!! #^

Nothing wrong with a little snow at times!  

From somewhere near Seattle...

Paul Walker
I guess its better to meet a wet head than a hot head????
Gary Anderson

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
>>From somewhere near Seattle...<<

Paul, I think we are all somewhere near Seattle. Some closer than others.   :o
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:38:37 PM »
Great to see you are still around Marco.   It's a long time since we met on some airfield near Bedford in England with Jim Mannall after the World Champs at Utrecht in 1976.   I enquired about you when visiting Glen Allison in the UK last year!!  Other fond memories of that year was the late Arthur Eaves who flew despite having two artificial legs.   Doug Harlow dropped out of flying around 4 years back after a brief return.

The Atlantis was designed with USA-1 influence by OZ modeller Peter White in 1973 (see pic below).  The plan is available from Peter ( see www.vicstunt.com site in plans section for details).

All the best Marco.

DH

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 06:09:26 PM »
Peter White, originally from Victoria (Australia) and now residing in Western Australia, is the gentleman who designed the Atlantis.
They are nice looking planes and I believe flew well.
Doug harlow won the Loxton Nats ('75) with an Atlantis.

Bandolero

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »

Paul,
Lets review.
Today, in Miami, it was really cold. Somewhere around 69 degrees for the high. Middle 50s tonight---brrrrrr.
Tomorrow low 70s, plenty of sunshine but a bit breezy with 10 to 15 mph winds out of the Northeast.
Later in the week possible light showers and high 70s.
If I had a stunt plane I could go flying!
What's the weather like in Seattle? Do people speak Spanish in Seattle?

Les McDonald

I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 07:47:08 PM »
Les,

Pretty nice today. In the low 50s and mostly clear with winds out of the SW at about 10-15. The time to fly is in the Spring and Summer when the temp sores to the mid 70s.

I thought you did have planes you could fly?   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »
Marco
Thank You for the e-mail and reply. " Wow", what an exciting adventure in without a doubt one
of the most celebrated times in Stunt Flying.  The planes are just incredibale.
Glad you are back in the sport.  Please send us updates of your next build. H^^

Bryan Higgins
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 08:56:58 PM »
Indeed, Randy. The weatherguessers have been predicting "stunt heaven" weather (50's, grey sky, no nasty sun, no sunscreen, no dark glasses needed, light breezes) and a passel of Christmas cookies. I almost went Saturday, but I'd just gotten a cortisone shot in my neck, and they told me to stay off it.  And yes, some of us speeka da Hispanish... LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »
Les,

Pretty nice today. In the low 50s and mostly clear with winds out of the SW at about 10-15. The time to fly is in the Spring and Summer when the temp sores to the mid 70s.

I thought you did have planes you could fly?   ;D
Hi Randy,
Sunday it was around 62 degrees with some sun, maybe two mile an hour wind. Ya we did go flying!!!!! Great fly day here in good old Fresno, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 09:19:25 PM »
Randy,
Uh, summers are a problem around here.
Middle 90s, 100 percent humidity, thunderstorms everyday from late May till October.
If we experienced 70 degrees in July the entire population of Miami would be convinced the end was near.
Marco probably made the right move, no doubt working for Boeing and makin the big bucks!

I only have one plane, my first I-Beam Stiletto. It's on the wall in our guest room slowly dying of old age, it has'nt seen sunlight for over 29 years.

Les McDonald

Offline Marco Beschizza

• New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »
Okay, sorry to write marathons, all of a sudden this has become extremely interesting and very unexpected. I am sure it will carm down in a day or two.

Les, thank you for your e-mail early this morning, I was really taken back by you contacting me, I will get back to you on a personal note. Everyone else who wrote thank you so much for expressing the passion you all have, life may well take another road once again.

I never imagined this response would happen, ever. I have lived in five countries, England until 1985, then Germany unto Dec. 1999, then Italy and America in 2000 as a hyper jump situation related to business, Canada from 2001 to June 2006, the USA since June 2006, hope now to stay-put because this place is great.

As to the weather let me put you in the picture. Living in England you are wet permanently and your ears whistled from the wind, whiskey, the Scotch type is all that keeps them warm. In Scotland you will drown for sure waiting for a bus. Germany it was much the same except in Stuttgart where I was it dropped to 20 C below most of the Winter, but you cannot beat the beer,  but head South and drive through the Mont-Blanc tunnel into Italy you entered in the rain and come out in scorching heat (in the Summer) and run Into crazy Italians and endless good food.

Canada was interesting as I spent 2.5 years in the Okanagon desert (Penticton) and you got four seasons. Twenty five below with five foot of snow, a bright fresh Spring with life reviving through melt water, Red hot summers 115 F and a beautiful Autumn along with Bears, rattle snakes, black widow spiders and Forest fires. I decided enough was enough when a bear walked passed out home carrying a garbage can under its arm and one eyeballed my wife and I while taking a walk. Not funny, she was pregnant, my wife not the bear.  Loved the place. Then 2.5 years in Vancouver BC and from day one I planned my escape. Hated it. Talk about rain, that place takes the biscuit, it has to be the stand in for the Amazon jungle. Rain drops are two centimeters across and it never stopped. You would have to buil;d a Stunt model out of metal to get any use out of it.

Now, I live West out on the Pacific peninsula (Port Orchard) near Seattle, West across the sound, good cold Winters with rain and some wind, nice Spring whether you could fly all day every day, great summers nice and still, the last was a scorcher and the Autumn is mind blowing out at the Pacific mountains and there is enough wind to sail for ever all year around these islands in the Puget sound. So some who wrote a reply have got it right. This place is quietly unique and I have never heard anyone speak Spanish!

Les, how come you have no plane to fly !!

and Ty Marcucci, what is N30 I am woundering ?

Now a little something for Dalas Hanna - Arther Eves. A tribute I always wanted to express but had no where to write it.

In all sports there are characters and occasionally one or two are very special. Arther Eves was such a person. I knew him extremely well and when he was homeless because of Squatters in his home he lived with my family for almost a year and my children experienced the opportunity to understand life is not always easy for everyone.

Arther suffered a horrific accident in Germany and lost both legs. He was parked on the side of an Autobahn adjusting something in the trunk when a car hit him driven by a drunk driver. He was near to death on two occasions and underwent extensive surgery for two years which probably weakened his heart. Plus he was for a long time on Morphine. He recovered and picked up the pieces of his life in a way most would have given up on. To attempt stunt was more than a challenge but after some time he overcame so many huddles and on his third set of legs he finally got his balance and was a Stunt flyer. And fly he did, week in, week out.

You either loved Arther or hated him, he was brash, abrupt at times but inside he was as cheerful and as genuine a person anyone could be. He was even called in to help invalid victims at convalescent hospitals to overcome there disabilities and thus demonstrated one day how to go down a flight of stairs outside a bank in a wheel chair. That was something to believe.

I ran a dental laboratory within a dentists office in the heart of London at the back of Knitsbridge. A well to do area. Dr, Martin Green came to me and said there is a strange man asking for you at reception. His name is Arthur, great send him in. The reply was "really", I then said with a smile, Ill come out. Arthur had bust a knee and could not drive home. A simple fix, a nut and bolt, a bit of metal and a braze was all that was needed. We took off to get some bits at a store across town and the only place to park was on a hill. The hand brake on my car was bust, so I said jump out and I jammed his right foot under the back wheel and said don't move. When I got back the car was still there with Arthur laughing and explaining to passers by this is a new hand brake under development. I said next time you go public change your socks.

Back at the lab we got him welded up in no time while he hopped about like Long John Silver on one leg and Dr, Martin Green found a new friend. He left in his car which was half red and half gray, too cars he had cut up and welded together at the middle after he explained to the police it was legal.

That was Arthur and I am sure so many will remember him for flying a half A stunter in the hanger at Barkstone Heath on the second night of the Nationals. He wrapped it around what looked like a very expensive light 30 ft up and it was hanging there the next day looking like a piece of exotic female underway. There was never a dull moment with Arthur. After I left England he once drove out to see me but was stopped at the border. The Germans refused to let his car in Germany and turned him around. On the return journey his home made carburetor caught fire in Holland and the car apparently made a spectacular bonfire in the middle of Amsterdam I believe.

You cannot condemn him for who he was or what he achieved and so many missed him when he left us. He was Vivid in every sense of the word and admired by so many and the world is the sorrier place for loosing such characters.

I had endless laughs with Arthur and miss a great friend and Stunt lost a real trier.

Thanks for the replies,

Marco

Marco

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 11:17:39 PM »
I know other people in Port Orchard with airbrushes. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 11:30:13 PM »
Marco, we have a nice flying site at the Tacoma Narrows airport which is very close to Port Orchard. Hopefully you can hook up with other NW Skyraiders  (Randy Powell, Don Shults, Pete Peterson, Mike Haverly Steve Helmick and myself fly there) and fly some stunt. We also have events at many of the other local airports around the Puget Sound . You're in a good spot for CL flying. Contact me if there are any club members you want to get in touch with as I have "the list".  Regards
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »
Les, while you are here I thought I'd ask you if this was your plane. My brother gave me the photo which he took.  I  liked it so much I loaded it on my PS3 and it is now displayed on my 46" TV . So you can have your old planes "on the wall" without actually owning them.    Notice the Red and Green slacks, they are in season.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 12:12:08 AM »
>>Now, I live West out on the Pacific peninsula (Port Orchard) near Seattle<<

OK wait a minute. There's a stunt pilot in Port Orchard and I didn't know about it?

Randy (who lives in Port Orchard - well, close anyway. In Wildwood)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 05:49:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing that about Arthur Eves (got the spelling right for his name this time) Marco.  A great inspiration for many.

By the way, did you track down Doug Harlow yet?   He moved from where he was back in the 70s but I can't remember the current address.  I think it is Winston St
Yarragon VIC 3823.

Let me know if you haven't got him and I'll get it for you whilst down that way at the Nats in a weeks time.  I'm 600 miles north of him!

DH

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 08:31:44 AM »
Marco, have read your stories in which you have had quite a life.  Very interesting reading.  Maybe need to right a book about all your adventures.  I guess I am stuck here in the central part of our great USA, a place called KANSAS right next to Missouri where I spent part of my life.  You are up there with a great group of gentlemen.  I know as I have met most of them.  Maybe meet you at VSC(Vintage Stunt Championships) in Tuscon ARIZONA.  I was there one year when all four seasons happened in one week.  MERRY CHRISTMAS
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »
Paul,
Lets review.
Today, in Miami, it was really cold. Somewhere around 69 degrees for the high. Middle 50s tonight---brrrrrr.
Tomorrow low 70s, plenty of sunshine but a bit breezy with 10 to 15 mph winds out of the Northeast.
Later in the week possible light showers and high 70s.
If I had a stunt plane I could go flying!
What's the weather like in Seattle? Do people speak Spanish in Seattle?

Les McDonald

Por Que you ask that question...Si   

Today, high's in the 30...Cold front came in...Still could fly "If I had a plane".!!      ......    If I had a plane that wanted to go out....!

No really, flying when it's 40 out isn't "horrible".  Been there, done that...

But, if it is nice all the time, when is the "Building season".??.....Now, don't respond like some other noted fliers I fly with and say its building season when my last plane crashed!  Shoot, I would be out flying year round if it was that nice out all the time...It just doesn't teach respect for mother nature if its nice out all the time!

Say Les....If you have nothing to do in July, I could always use a judge at the Nats....What do you say???

Paul W

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 09:30:15 AM »
I know other people in Port Orchard with airbrushes. 
Seems those other people in Port Orchard have lots of time on their hands these days for socializing too!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »
Les, while you are here I thought I'd ask you if this was your plane. My brother gave me the photo which he took.

I'm pretty sure that Stiletto belongs to Les.  Dad took the picture at the '75 Team Trials.

That was around the time I was still wearing short pants and Buster Browns.   ;D

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »
Les, while you are here I thought I'd ask you if this was your plane. My brother gave me the photo which he took.  I  liked it so much I loaded it on my PS3 and it is now displayed on my 46" TV . So you can have your old planes "on the wall" without actually owning them.    Notice the Red and Green slacks, they are in season.

Peter,
Yeah that's my old 700. All the information about it is in "The Stiletto Chronicles" currently running in Stunt Nrews.
Obviously I am standing no where near my airplane since I have NEVER owned a pair of red or green pants. Not like those anyway.

Les McDonald

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 11:03:49 AM »
Marco,

Glad to hear that you are back at it!

It is great to hear your stories.

You will be meeting a great crew in the Seatte area. But: Fair warning. Howard is another unforgettable guy.. a little warped fun is always available. Don't tell him, but he really is a good guy.

Merry Christmas!
AMA 7544

Offline Marco Beschizza

• New Pilot
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »
Hi Dallas,

Thanks for the info about Doug and I am sure you have also personal memories of Arthur. I managed to get an email passed onto Doug some time back and he responded through someone else, but I got bombed by a Doom-B virus that wiped a lot of hard drives so I lost a heap of contacts. Now I run Linux, got tired of "Kill Bill" and reinstalling.

What he told me was he went back to stunt after a long break and got pissed off at some judge or something like that and looked for another sport to satisfy his competitive nature. He also mentioned he had moved and how he was now enjoying other family activities.  I think he took up Bowls which sounds a bit tame to me in comparison to Stunt, anyway what ever grabs you. Maybe you might have his e-mail address possibly and any chance you have Glen Allisons e-mail address or telephone number as we got talking last year on the phone and all that stuff went with my hard drives.

This whole experience is like I just became an Archeologist.

Kindest regards,

Marco

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 11:51:19 PM »
>>Now I run Linux, got tired of "Kill Bill" and reinstalling.<<

I knew there was something I liked about you. I'm a long time linux user.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Marco Beschizza

• New Pilot
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 12:24:35 AM »
Hi Randy,

Sorry to hear about your job loss, hang in there, I have been self employed my entire life and that's brings endless problems, survival periods, highs and lows, loves and hates. Its tough either way now and getting tougher.

Been running Linux for some time, UBUNYU 64 bit. I do a lot of CGI graphics and film work for educational projects that I run and Linux is ideal for open GL rendering. Linux lets it run free. Windows is a joke. However Linux is a bit tight on programs but they are slowly coming through, desperately looking for something to replace After Effects so one computer is stuck using Server 64 bit.

Now I have got the Stunt Ich again I am trying to figure out how to get some of my graphics onto a wing without endless hours airbrushing. I reckon its possible with some trail and error. Take a look. Hope these come through if not will re-size them. The originals renders are 8K

Marco

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 12:11:31 PM »
Marco,

Very nice work. Looks sort of like it was done with Blender 3D. There are a number of interesting 3D and various drawing programs under Linux. I've been trying to learn Okular lately. Makes a good replacement for Corel.

I use Fedora 12 right now, though I have been messing with a couple of other Linux distributions using VirtualBox. I also have a Windows installation under VBox that I use for the couple of programs I haven't gotten around to either finding a Linux equivalent or haven't wanted to start from scratch with data. That works fine. Between Vbox and Wine, if you have to run some Windows app, you can.

We can now return to our regularly scheduled topic.   b1
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Marco Beschizza

• New Pilot
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 02:05:51 PM »
Hi Randy,

Yes back to the culture. I will keep you up to date on what I am doing in graphics through direct e-mails before we start a revolt.

What I am doing now is looking at whats the best way to start back flying. I think a quick kit maybe a part built Nobler or something similar to get off the ground and practice. Behind this a longer build project up to the summer with something cool. I am going to get my wife involved with this and my daughter as I have done enough anti social sports over the years.

Any suggestions on engines and kits out there !!

Marco

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 04:18:32 PM »
Marco,

Well, like I suggested, there are a couple of options. There are several ARF planes that fly pretty well amd cam be assembled very quickly. Of the larger planes, the Top Flight Score is not bad and certainly Brad Walker's T-Rex is reputed to be a very nice flying plane. There is also an Impact that I believer is ARC (almost ready to cover) that would be a killer plane. For smaller stuff, Pat Johnston's P-40K (RSM) is a very nice flying unit as is the Brodak ARF profile version. You could also contact Pat and he can do a laser kit for you that could be built quickly. Or just look at the RSM catalogue online. They have several laser cut kits. For that matter, I have a Walter Umland Van Loo Chipmunk sitting under by work bench not doing anything that I could front you.

As far as engines, you'll get as many recommendations as there are people on this board. Eventually, you'll probably want to look at something like a PA (Precision Aero), RO-Jett or similar engine, but initially, I'd say look at the OS 46LA. it's inexpensive and they run quite well if set up right. I've seen planes with these engine that are extremely competitive. And you can get them just about anywhere. I even have a couple engines I'd be willing to part with including a 46LA. Or if you are looking at a larger plane, something like an ST51 is a good choice. There are, of course, numerous other options, but for starters, until you decide what you want, something like a OS 46LA or ST.51 is not at all a bad choice.

Of course, you might end up going electric or to a 4-Stroke. There are many, many options.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »
Marco, if you want to get in the air quick and have a decent flying plane I would recommend a Vector . They come in ARF (built and covered), ARC (built not covered) and kit versions. they are low cost at S &S Hobbies http://www.sshobbies.com/    and fly on a wide range of engines. OS LA46 is cheap, easy to get and performs well. It will put you in the air with minimum fuss. If you want a larger plane a Strega or T-Rex comes in ARF/ARC forms.
This will let you fly while you build your own plane.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 06:41:03 PM »
Pete,

Good suggestion on the Vector. It's a fine flying plane and a 46LA would be a good choice.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »
On the Vector 40...check with Pete F. about the controls...I haven't flown it, but word on the street is that they're way too fast. I hate that!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »
Hi Dallas,

Thanks for the info about Doug and I am sure you have also personal memories of Arthur. I managed to get an email passed onto Doug some time back and he responded through someone else, but I got bombed by a Doom-B virus that wiped a lot of hard drives so I lost a heap of contacts. Now I run Linux, got tired of "Kill Bill" and reinstalling.

What he told me was he went back to stunt after a long break and got pissed off at some judge or something like that and looked for another sport to satisfy his competitive nature. He also mentioned he had moved and how he was now enjoying other family activities.  I think he took up Bowls which sounds a bit tame to me in comparison to Stunt, anyway what ever grabs you. Maybe you might have his e-mail address possibly and any chance you have Glen Allisons e-mail address or telephone number as we got talking last year on the phone and all that stuff went with my hard drives.

This whole experience is like I just became an Archeologist.

Kindest regards,

Marco

Marco, I've sent you a pm with Glen's UK phone number.  I'll also see if I have his email on this computer as I'm 200 miles from home at present.

Yes, that was the fact re Doug and some sort of problem with the organisation down Melbourne way from what I heard.  Playing bowls or golf from what I hear!!   I'll see if I can get an email address or an exact postal address from one of the Vic boys at the nats next week.

DH

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 08:18:26 PM »
Marco,

"Of course, you might end up going electric"
Shame on you mw~

"Or to a 4-Stroke"
A real mans motor!!! y1

Just joking Randy, you know your my main man.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Marco Beschizza

• New Pilot
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 08:27:38 PM »
okay you guys,

looked at the Vector which could fit the bill. Have to be careful at the moment as our car is not to big, its a Kia-Sport.  And thats bad enough, we have to big dogs, Germans! All you see in the rear view mirror is teeth on a bad day and noses on a good day.

We need a bigger car but that is not going to happen too soon with this economy. So to go flying and if the tribe wants to come and see this fly then a Vector might be a good choice to start.

However, I like the Brodak - Legacy, so whats that like and how heavy do these ARF come out at on average in onces and how much needs tweaking to get them right.

Another kit I like is the Intrepid XL, how do these kits fare out quality wise. There are some nice choices out there.
Scratch built is the way to go but will take time but it still might be better to run one up from sheet if I face half ton models. They take the fun out of it.

Good chioce of motors though

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Marco

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Hi Herb, Doug is moving again mid Jan, Will let you know new address at the nat's ,have a good trip, not looking foreward to 2 days driving.
Regards, Noel C.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
The Legacy is a very nice plane as is the Intrepid. I haven't seen a Legacy kit, but I can tell you that Randy Smith's kits are first rate. Laser cut and will almost fall together. Generally good wood choice, too.

The other option is, there are a lot of first rate fliers around here and many have planes in their hangers that they may be willing to part with. That would get you into the air very quickly.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »
I met Mr. Beschizza today. Cool guy.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
I met Mr. Beschizza today. Cool guy.

Ditto!  y1

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 12:09:30 AM »
Just read this thread.  Awesome story!  This is what Stunt forums are about eh!

Cheers
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 03:08:03 AM »
Back in 1981, when I was 14, my favourite book was 'The World of Model Planes', by Martin Hedges.  There were lots of great models in there, and one that was particularly impressive was on p.142.  The caption read, "Marco Beschizza's fabulous Atlantis, a huge stunter powered by a Super Tigre 60 with a truly amazing airbrushed spray-paint color scheme.  The model is fitted with flaps and elevators to enable tight corners." 

For some reason, my own attempts at airbrushing have never been quite so inspirational...

Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I recently saw Marco. Unlike most of us, he looks about the same as in this picture. Nice guy.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here