News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:21:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ski Dombrovski  (Read 2335 times)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ski Dombrovski
« on: March 17, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
I just heard from Chuck Holtzapple that Ski Dombrovski passed away yesterday. Anyone who knew Ski, or ever saw any of his work, knows that Ski was at the very top of the craftsmanship and innovation charts. He was also one of the kindest and gentlest men I've ever known.

Ski's Lacemaker was one of the most beautiful and original CL Stunt models ever designed and crafted. If you ever had the opportunity to see it in person, you would certainly agree. If Ski didn't have so much talent in so many different disciplines, he might well have become one of the best fliers around as well. His interests were eclectic, and he excelled in all of them. He was apparently one of the world's authorities on Bonsai trees (remember them from the Karate Kid 2?).

Over the years I had many phone conversations with Ski, and I always came away from them with more knowledge than I went in with. He was a great teacher. I will miss him greatly.

Godspeed Ski - Bob Hunt

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Ski Dombrovski
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:26:51 AM »
           That's very sad news. Ski was a true professional. My son and I enjoyed many laughs with him. Ken

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 11:49:13 AM »
   I actually got to meet Ski at the first control line NATS I went to at Lawrencville, IL in 'the early 90's. Chris McMillin introduced me to him, and I think he had the Lacemaker there that year and it is indescribable. I know I took some photos but they are buried deep. If someone has a photo and can post it so others can appreciate it, that would be a fitting tribute. A very nice gentleman and sorry to hear of his passing.
   DAn McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »
I was at that same Lawrencville nats and the real talk around the pits was people showing others his STOOGE!  It was an absolute master piece!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 06:11:36 PM »
Sad indeed.
Ski created a model that was clear over the wood with very little trim painted. I believe the 93 Nats?
Windy thought it should have won the Concours because the fit and finish were exquisite and there was no visible flaw in the fit....

Last time I saw him fly he was flying a Fox 35 powered Nobler ARF....

A nice guy

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 11:52:22 AM »
I am sorry to hear about this, Ski really was a nice guy to me.

About 5 years ago right before I had started having some health issues I contacted Ski about kitting his Lacemaker and although he was okay with it he actually asked me if I wouldn't mind making another one of his models first. He said he couldn't tell me the "name" of it and I really thought he was joking but he said that was because he had never really given it a name, so he sent me some pictures and then we chatted and  he then said let's call it the American Eagle mainly because of the color scheme. For those that knew him may say he was making a joke but I guess we/I'll never know. BTW check out that cool cowled in muffler..

Enjoy the pictures..

God Bless you Ski... Enjoy the mild winds and perfect scores.  AP^
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 12:58:12 PM »
I am sorry to hear about this, Ski really was a nice guy to me.

About 5 years ago right before I had started having some health issues I contacted Ski about kitting his Lacemaker and although he was okay with it he actually asked me if I wouldn't mind making another one of his models first. He said he couldn't tell me the "name" of it and I really thought he was joking but he said that was because he had never really given it a name, so he sent me some pictures and then we chatted and  he then said let's call it the American Eagle mainly because of the color scheme. For those that knew him may say he was making a joke but I guess we/I'll never know. BTW check out that cool cowled in muffler..

Enjoy the pictures..

God Bless you Ski... Enjoy the mild winds and perfect scores.  AP^
  Yes I remember seeing both these airplanes at the Nats.  Really beautiful .  I never actually met him but sure admired the work.  Don't remember that he actually flew them there.  Sorry to hear of his passing.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
Humble, funny, wise. Ran deep. He is missed.

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »
I remember the red, white and blue plane as one of the most stunning stunt planes I had ever seen.
Never really knew Ski but his workmanship spoke volumes about him.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:19 PM »
Ski was a really interesting and caring person. Long before I ever considered Stunt as being worthy of any of my time I saw that Lacemaker plane and Ski! I was totally blown away! this past September I saw him at the NVCL Stunt fest with a friend who was flying a really well trimmed out Banchee. The friend and his plane won Advanced that day. However after remembering the Lacemaker to him he mentioned to me how I might have better results with my own plane_ he only saw me fly one pattern! Since then I've taken his advice and he was absolutely right! I did what he suggested as he suggested it to me and I am a happier camper now. I will always remember and appreciate his help and kind word. So sorry to learn of his passing.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 02:20:36 PM »

Does anyone have some pictures of his Lace Maker?  I sure would like to see them..  Thanks 
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Ron Varnas

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 07:00:25 PM »
Sad news indeed about Ski's passing :( a true Master modeller in all aspects.
I've put up Ski's "Lacemaker" a few times as one of the best looking Stunt ships of all time.

Apologies for pic quality, it's taken from a early Stunt news mag.
RJV Melb. Australia

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here