News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:44:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF Super Clown  (Read 1668 times)

Offline aba183210

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
ARF Super Clown
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:21:23 AM »
I am in the process of finding a replacement for the Ringmaster I have now. The way I bought it (ARF) it is too heavy to do anything besides wingovers. It can barely complete a single loop-if I try another it will almost hit the ground after completing the loop. I am sure it won't do any figure 8s at all, so it is pretty much useless as a stunt trainer as it is.

The plane weighs 38 ounces and no, I cannot save any weight anywhere. The only viable remedy is to build an entirely new fuse because that is where the "fat" is. I tried different propellers and motors but it simply won't fly like the other Ringmasters I have seen. In addition, the way the battery is installed contributes to an uneven vertical CG and cannot be installed anywhere else (it hangs under the wing, in a box).

I just finished  building a Brodak Baby Clown that I have yet to maiden; it weighs about 7 ounces RTF. I have heard good things about this plane and saw videos of it and it looks like a good plane. I am aware that the 1/2 A is more squirrelly but I think I can control it because I have been flying CL for 1/2 year.

But I want to get something ARF so I can finally progress to other stunts besides wingovers while I complete other projects (see below). My Magician (RIP) was a wonderful plane that turned beautifully but a faulty battety mount came loose in flight and the plane could not be saved.

So, is the Brodak ARF Super Clown (electric) any good or will it need surgery to replace any substandard components? I know that the motor mount will have to be reinforced, but I want to be sure. Yes, I have a Sig Banshee and a Brodak Magician, as well as a a Baby, 150, and Junior Ringmasters that are waiting their turn at the building bench. I just want to have something to fly while I get done with all these projects (I build very slowly).

Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:41:10 PM by aba183210 »

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: ARF Super Clown
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 12:09:58 PM »
I inherited both versions of the ARF super clown. Glo and electric. I had to reinforce the electric version motor mount. Other than that i did nothing and it flys great. Both are really fun performers. We had an electric "E-fest" thing at our field in 2014. I flew the pattern in the middle of the runway for a noon time demo. RC guys were impressed and several folks said they'd probably order one to try.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Re: ARF Super Clown
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
Beefed up the cowl and using the Brodak electric package for it.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here