News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are there any pictures and results from Joe Null?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Are there any pictures and results from Joe Null?
« on: May 09, 2022, 05:24:24 AM »
Please show us what you got from Joe Null
AMA 12366

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Are there any pictures and results from Joe Null?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 06:55:56 AM »
Please show us what you got from Joe Null
Stunt events aren't until next Friday and Saturday. Just open flying until then.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 07:54:30 AM »
Stunt events aren't until next Friday and Saturday. Just open flying until then.
Thanks Mike I thought it was this weekend
AMA 12366

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 06:13:01 PM »
 Seems some who were there can write how much he disliked clover as now flown but can’t show scores
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 07:00:28 PM »
From a facebook post...

Offline EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 06:24:32 AM »
Seems some who were there can write how much he disliked clover as now flown but can’t show scores

He was just being modest Eddy, as you can see by the scores, it wasn't sour grapes about the new clover since he seems to have mastered it already just fine.  ;)
EricV

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 08:57:09 AM »
I was not there so I cannot attest to the quality of the flying but, knowing some of them, it was pretty good.  What sparked my curiosity though was the 2.5 point spread from 4th to 8th (last).  When they set the Expert base at 500 there were probably 10 Advanced fliers for every Expert and scores, at least in our area.  Now scores are nearly 75 points higher than when PAMPA was formed.  Equipment accounts for much of that but without some adjusting to the scoring ranges you get everybody bunched up and that is what, in my military days, we called a "Blivit".  This is not anybody's fault, it just evolved over time.  I am only observing, not criticizing or offering a solution. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 12:17:33 PM »
I was fortunate enough to judge Expert and I was REALLY impressed by the flying skills.   y1  y1
As I recall, there was a total of eight entries and six were electric powered.
First and third were engine powered and the total point spread as I recall was twenty seven points from first to eighth place.
Although a bit shifty, the wind was not near as vicious as the previous two days.

Anyone want to hear about a few RC idiotic occurrences?   ~^  ~^

Bob Z.

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 04:28:12 PM »

Anyone want to hear about a few RC idiotic occurrences?   ~^  ~^

Bob Z.
[/quote]

Yes! Please.

Jerry

Online Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 07:57:08 PM »
Yep

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 07:21:25 AM »
One bozo flew across the circle missed Allan Buck by about four feet. Then crashed.
Same guy crashed again around 50 feet from the circle.
Another crashed just inside the circle (fortunately, nobody was there). Plane disintegrated, batteries caught fire, burned for around ten minutes. Incredibly dense smoke for the first few minutes. Pilot blamed radio failure.
And quite a few idiots did low passes over the circle(s).

I think we're headed for "the big one" if these cowboys don't develop a more strict sense of responsibility.

Bob Z.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 10:39:25 AM »
One bozo flew across the circle missed Allan Buck by about four feet. Then crashed.
Same guy crashed again around 50 feet from the circle.
Another crashed just inside the circle (fortunately, nobody was there). Plane disintegrated, batteries caught fire, burned for around ten minutes. Incredibly dense smoke for the first few minutes. Pilot blamed radio failure.
And quite a few idiots did low passes over the circle(s).

I think we're headed for "the big one" if these cowboys don't develop a more strict sense of responsibility.

Bob Z.

When the EAA and the AMA decided to allow R/C flying in the evenings in a restricted area at Oshkosh, I ran into the same crap. They were to be flying park flyer type airplanes and quad copters, and had an area about about half a football field to fly in, and there was a several hundred foot buffer to where the KidVenture circles were. Two or three bozoes were obviously flying way out of bounds and over flying the C/L circle where I was flying and buzzing the circle. There was no way to deny it. As it got dark I packed up and went over to find the AMA dummy in charge and it was like a zoo. They had a curfew also but many were still flying. I finally found the guy in charge and he was just an idiot and obviously lost control of the group, which had grown quite large. I got his name and position title with the AMA, gave him a REALLY good ear full of what I thought of him and the R/Cers who were definitely acting in a manor that would threaten other people and any future possibilities of flying there, and left. When I got home I emailed all sorts of people at the AMA from the then president on down and also the people I knew at EAA. This was the last year I was able to attend, so I don't know if anything was ever done but I never heard back from either organization. I run into the type here from time to time also. It seems like the bigger the airplane, the bigger the ego that goes with it. Just absolute lack of respect.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 01:36:49 PM »
I was there during Joe Nall Week as I have been since the circles were built for us about 11 years ago. It was a conversation between Pat Hartness, Founder and Chairman, and me. This was an entirely RC event until he was kind enough to build the circles.
They also put in a flight line for electric powered RC planes. At that time, this meant foamies and small airplanes. Well, 10 years layer, epowered  airplanes have become fast, bigger, and heavier. And that flightline now has about 300 active Fliers during Joe Nall Week.
This year, we had too many overflys and crashes within our boundaries. Since I am the flight line director, I bring my problems to Pat and Mike Gregory, the Event Director each year. And every time I have asked them for something, it has always been done and done right.
I met with both of these gentlemen late Saturday afternoon after all our folks had gone home. We spoke for quite sometime where I shared my deep concerns about our folks safety and that I was not wlling to bring  CL folks back to a dangerous environment.

They agreed 100% and we discussed a variety of options that would make our airspace 100% clear of any other aircraft.
As we determine the best strategy, I will share that  information.
There is no place whose management and leaders are more supportive of us than at Triple Tree.
Finally, the difference between our poor flying and poor flying by an RC pilot is one of where the mistakes and crashes occur. Our planes are tethered while theirs are not. So before they are called idiots and other names, let's climb down from our mountain tops and realize we have poor pilots as well. No one means to crash to upset someone else. With hundreds of pilots,  some will not be accomplished. I believe CL guys also are not all accomplished either.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 02:12:55 PM »
I was there during Joe Nall Week as I have been since the circles were built for us about 11 years ago. It was a conversation between Pat Hartness, Founder and Chairman, and me. This was an entirely RC event until he was kind enough to build the circles.
They also put in a flight line for electric powered RC planes. At that time, this meant foamies and small airplanes. Well, 10 years layer, epowered  airplanes have become fast, bigger, and heavier. And that flightline now has about 300 active Fliers during Joe Nall Week.
This year, we had too many overflys and crashes within our boundaries. Since I am the flight line director, I bring my problems to Pat and Mike Gregory, the Event Director each year. And every time I have asked them for something, it has always been done and done right.
I met with both of these gentlemen late Saturday afternoon after all our folks had gone home. We spoke for quite sometime where I shared my deep concerns about our folks safety and that I was not wlling to bring  CL folks back to a dangerous environment.

They agreed 100% and we discussed a variety of options that would make our airspace 100% clear of any other aircraft.
As we determine the best strategy, I will share that  information.
There is no place whose management and leaders are more supportive of us than at Triple Tree.
Finally, the difference between our poor flying and poor flying by an RC pilot is one of where the mistakes and crashes occur. Our planes are tethered while theirs are not. So before they are called idiots and other names, let's climb down from our mountain tops and realize we have poor pilots as well. No one means to crash to upset someone else. With hundreds of pilots,  some will not be accomplished. I believe CL guys also are not all accomplished either.

I'm sorry Mark but I have to disagree. If you purposely fly your model over an area where you are told you are NOT supposed to fly, and you crash it, you are an idiot in my book. I have been down this path before at Oshkosh and at home. If you are not competent enough to operate your model within the restraints and guidelines as they are presented to you, then you should NOT be allowed to fly. Especially in an event such as the Joe Nall event where there is LOTS of media coverage. It's that simple and should be explained to all pilots before they sign up and unload. We have had this issue at Buder Park, where giant scale acro models frequently fly outside the field boundaries and over fly the C/L circles, which are WAY outside the field boundaries, opposite the direction of the area the R/C models operate over. In TRYING to discuss this situation with the offenders, their excuse is that they sometimes need to do it to line up with the runway they want to use. Never mind that using this particular runway approach may be down wind most of the year, but it's also closest to their pit. I answered that with "If you fly the aerobatics that you fly with these models, including low level hovering,  you sure as hell ought to be skilled enough to be able to set up a short approach no matter what the wind, but coming into the approach into the wind was a much smarter way to execute it. A smart pilot doesn't land down wind if he doesn't have to." The organizers can't let this get out of control, whether it involves C/L flying or not. Like the old saying goes, it only takes one bad incident to spoil it for everyone.! If that means that they need to restrict who flies and who doesn't, meaning a limit on the number of registered pilots, than that should be considered.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 08:49:00 PM »
I'm going to agree with Mark.  Poor flying in RC has a long tradition.

I judged RC Pattern in 1972 as a youth, and distinctly recall our small group of about three judges in folding chars scrambling when an errant RC Scale plane came at us.  Missed us, but just barely.  Thinking at the time was that RC Scale pilots had different goals than RC Pattern pilots, concentrating their efforts on building more than piloting.

And Mark's efforts to address this concern with the event and facility management may likely improve the situation.

thanks,

Peter

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 07:56:56 AM »
I fly R/C as well and have attended a few local events that had more than 50 registered pilots. Saw a few silly things happen and decided that the event was not fun enough to make the trip worthwhile. I fly R/C pattern (not well) so I limit myself to those events for the most part. I have always felt that flying model airplanes was more of a thinking game rather than a matter of raw skill; I have seen a few young pilots with an enormous amount of talent but for most of us being able to fly well requires some thought. This is particularly true in R/C.  Overflying a restricted area to me is simply poor judgement; the pilot did not asses if he had the skill needed to perform the flight safely.  In all of my years flying R/C I have witnessed only a few crashes in which the pilot confessed to making a mistake; in most cases they blame it on some form of equipment failure (but then again you wonder about how well maintained the model might have been).  If you were to believe the reported number of "equipment failures" you would walk away with the impression that the equipment is incredibly unreliable...

In this case the R/C pilot who crashed into the C/L area should have told that he was done flying for the rest of the event; that was a rather egregious mistake to make.

Teo

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 01:07:10 PM »
At my former club, we successfully mixed control line and R/C activities by simply alternating flights.
Having been to the Joe Nall where there are hundreds of R/C pilots, it would be difficult to get the cooperation necessary to alternate.
Mark will get it ironed out.
BTW, we discovered that heli and controline activities mix best... though the heli noise is rather irratating.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here