News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:10:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are pull tests required when not in competition by AMA regulations?"  (Read 2982 times)

Offline johnbyrne

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Hi all

I need to understand the AMA requirements for pull tests when not in competition.  I've read through the AMA documents and can only find pull test requirements for when in competition. Are there regulations and/or requirements I've missed within the AMA documents for when not in competition? If so are pull tests required before each fligth and how would one do it when flying alone?

While on this topic, when at a competition is it a breach of AMA regulations when they pull test only before the first flight of the day?
AMA 759448

Dwayne

I'm a sport flier who used to fly at Whitier Narrows in California which is a AMA sanctioned field and we never pull tested. As far as I know you only have to during a competition.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
While its not mandated for sport flying, it is still never the less a good thing to do. It a safety issue and public safety should be important to all of is, we have to present the most responsible image possible these days.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Without pulling out the AMA Safety Code, I believe it says "pull test before flight", and also a similar list of safety check for RC models.  It doesn't say "every flight". 

In general, if each set of assembled equipment is tested once, it's good for the day.  The Safety Code is there for your own (the model owner's) protection.  If the lines break and the model gets loose under normal flying conditions, you can (and should) be blamed for any damage.  Proving you passed pull test would be handy in your legal defense.
Paul Smith

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
The AMA Safety Code can be found at http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf The part specific to the question is

"1. I will subject my complete control system (including the safety thong where applicable) to an inspection and pull test prior to flying. The pull test will be in
accordance with the current Competition Regulations for the applicable model aircraft category. Model aircraft not fitting a specific category shall use those
pull-test requirements as indicated for Control Line Precision Aerobatics."

This applies to all forms of flying, not just competition. As Paul correctly pointed out: "prior to flying" and not "prior to every flight". That DOES leave something open to question IMHO.

Regards,

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline johnbyrne

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
UPDATE:

I called and spoke with Greg Hahn, the AMA technical director today.  I told him that I understand the pull test requirments in a contest but it was less clear for non contest flying. He said they leave it up to the pilot as to what is needed to be safe when not in a contest and recognizes that flying by yourself makes pull tests difficult. He agreed that pull testing a new plane is a good idea and doing so will certainly meet the safety code. Other than that the position of the AMA is to leave it up to the pilot to do what he feels is best and safe. Bottom line is that one does not need to do a pull test prior to a sport flight to meet AMA regulations or code when not in a contest if it was done as some point prior to that.

So do pull tests folks if your plane has never had one to meet the AMA code and do it per the competition rules and you meet the code. 
AMA 759448

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Now when you are out flying and the plane gets loose because of some reason the lines/control system has a failure, what are you going to do when your home owners insurance won't cover what ever damage may be done.  The first question from the AMA is, was all safety practices used?  No I don't pull test every time I go out to fly, but I do check all connections and walk the lines.   I also do a good tug on the lines on a new set up tho. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
A little clarification.  At a contest: You will pull test before your first flight.  If you leave the lines and handle connected, as they were for the pull test, you should not need a second pull test.  If you disconnect and roll up your lines or change handles for example, you need a new pull test.

For sport flying: When I build a new set of lines I pull test each line to 60 % of the required total pull test for that model.  The 60 % gives me a margin of safety.  After the model is built or repaired, I subject the leadouts to a pull test greater than the required amount to again have a known safety margin. To pull test the model only I use a weight of the required amount connected to both leadouts, with a spreader bar set to the leadout spacing if the spacing is more than one inch. 

I have pulled the bell crank out of a new model but it is better to have it fail then rather than when flying or at a contest during pull test.  It was a Navy Carrier model and failed at 35 lbs when it required a 50 lb test.  I had to redesign the bellcrank mount for the Skyray.  I changed it from being supported by two ribs to being supported by three ribs plus bracing to the spars. 

You can easily do a pull test solo.  Tie the handle to a tree and pull on the model the proper amount.  I use a loop of rope around the tree and each end of the rope is tied to an end of the handle.  This will give you a balanced load on the lines and model.
Clancy

Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
A little clarification.  At a contest: You will pull test before your first flight.  If you leave the lines and handle connected, as they were for the pull test, you should not need a second pull test.  If you disconnect and roll up your lines or change handles for example, you need a new pull test.\

That is not correct. From C/L General, paragraph 6:

6. Pull Test. The pull test shall be applied prior
to each flight or heat by the officials or their
assistants (contestants may be designated to be
assistants).

Clear as a bell, you have to pull test prior to each competition flight.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Brett,  tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  Have you really pull tested before each and every flight? VD~

Clancy, where do you hook the scales so you are pulling the right amount? S?P The only scales/pull test equipment I have seen that be done by oneself is at VSC.  The bucket setup they used to use at the NATS  was another one.  In reality I don't think any of us would fly a plane that was not safe with the overall control system. R%%%% H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Are pull tests required when not in competition by AMA regulations?"
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »
Brett,  tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  Have you really pull tested before each and every flight?

I pull test when the officials require it, and that is almost always before every flight. When the officials do not choose to pull test before every flight, I take them aside and note the quoted passage above. It is then up to them to decide how to proceed. As a pilot it is my duty to cooperate and function as the officials of the event desire, once they decide to proceed a certain way I am either going go along with it, or leave.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 04:46:07 AM »
Lines are less expensive than aeroplanes . therfore TEST EM before Ea. days flying.

AND if some pillocks walked through them or suchlike , if they have to be rearanged

they may have become deranged ,and the aeroplane could catch it . So pull them  .

I personally take a set of the plane, spike the handle to the deck,or the ends to a

fence,and see how Stretchy they are. Despiraling Ea. wire individually can reduce

wandering  aeroplanes deviant tendancys markedly.Take care of your wires . But

dont be a pansy ! .

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »
All this is fine but what about the safety thong?  Should the system be pulled from the handle or the thong.  Pulling from the thong will only pull the thong and the bellcrank.
ama 5871

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »
All this is fine but what about the safety thong?  Should the system be pulled from the handle or the thong.  Pulling from the thong will only pull the thong and the bellcrank.

I am not sure what the question is here.  It always helps to check the rulebook ---

"The safety thong may be a point of attachment for conducting the pull test or the thong may be tested spearately from the test of control handle, lines and control mechanism.  When the thong is tested separately, it must be pulled to the test load specified for the particular model involved.  The method of thong attachment shall also be able to withstand the required pull test."

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here