News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are facebook and Youtube hangouts slowly killing Stunthanger?  (Read 8259 times)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Are facebook and Youtube hangouts slowly killing Stunthanger?
« on: January 08, 2019, 11:10:52 PM »
Seems like topics have tapered off a bit lately.

I wonder if the several facebook control line pages and the twice-weekly YouTube hangout are slowly draining Stunthanger of content. 
I follow many of the facebook CL pages and I watch the YouTube hangouts.  I see a lot of stuff out happening out there in the control line universe and it seems like only a bit is making it onto this forum.

Remember to keep posting here as well, folks! 

-
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:36:34 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Are facebook and Youtube hangouts slowly killing Stunthanger?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:27:30 AM »
We can not compete with FarceBook so please remember if you wish to keep a dedicated Stunt website to post topics here as well. Down 27% from last year
AMA 12366

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 04:54:17 AM »
Seems like topics have tapered off a bit lately.

I wonder if the several facebook control line pages and the twice-weekly YouTube hangout are slowly draining Stunthanger of content. 
I follow many of the facebook CL pages and I watch the YouTube hangouts.  I see a lot of stuff out happening out there in the control line universe and it seems like only a bit is making it onto this forum.

Remember to keep posting here as well, folks! 

-
Most of the people here arent on facebook. And most of the people on facebook arent on here.

And the youtube hangout... nah it isnt hurting SH.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Tom Vieira

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:35:01 AM »
I find FB to be the quick and dirty "shoot the @#$%" and "look at my shiny new plane" deal.  While, when you want a good technical discussion (and occasionally watch the bon fire of ruffled feathers  VD~ ) you come here.

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 05:43:04 AM »
   I have two different types of posts.
The first is when I'm just shooting off my mouth.

The second type is when I spend hours organizing
a Build Post with careful descriptions and photos.
I try to make it a discussion and I try to reply to
every question.
  I like to think that I'm adding to the quality of
Stunthanger.

Not a snowball's chance in hell that I'm going
to make that effort for facebook or Youtube.

Cheers! - K.
Keith Morgan

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 06:32:54 AM »
I think that FB and Stunthanger are not flying in the same circle. FB is tipically "volatile", most of that contents come up and fly away within days.
Good exceptions are big and carefully selected photoalbums, like made by Natasha Salomatina, Claudia Kehnen and Attila Csontos e.g.
But if I want to see and participate in serious technical etc. topics, I come here. Where ever other place? Here I found all interesting things looking back to many years.  I think, there is no wonder as real "gems" of C/L stunt, like Igor, Lauri, Peter Germann, etc. came all here from far Europe, to exchange ideas.
Yes, FB is polluted with many dirty sentences, characters, etc. but this is no reason to keep ourselves away. If somebody do not want to show too much from private life, it is not necessary to do that. Well, I do not use my genuine name over there. I translated mine to "Steve Grassfield".
Who knows me from real life, smiles. Who not, that virtual person is known by him as real, no problem.
Istvan
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:55:48 AM by Istvan Travnik »

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 07:26:36 AM »
I use the FB forums to recruit for SH. I invite everyone that I meet on the C/L forums to come join SH. Everyone else here that visit the other FB forums might want to consider doing the same my .02.

George
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 08:58:38 AM »

Not a snowball's chance in hell that I'm going
to make that effort for facebook or You tube.

Cheers! - K.
[/quote]

Ditto! I'm with you Keith.  y1
Jerry

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 09:08:25 AM »
We can not compete with FarceBook so please remember if you wish to keep a dedicated Stunt website to post topics here as well. Down 27% from last year
This forum will always be better than the FB groups and I'm 1 of 2 Admins of the biggest Control Line FB group on FB and I have no problem saying that. This site is the real deal.

FB has been good in the last year of getting ALOT of old time flyers back in the game who had quit for many years and never heard of Stunt Hanger. We do advise alot of folks on there to come here but be sure to follow the rules to the T when registering.

I'll always support this site first.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »
Because of a terrible rape in our family by somebody our person met on facebook I WILL NEVER JOIN THAT RAG! With the percentage of North Americans viewing that crap everyday is it any wonder our Nation is in such terrible condition?
Stunt Hanger is the one place where I can sit and enjoy this great hobby at my leisure.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 10:29:38 AM »
All the good technical stuff is on this site and you can always get a straight answer from an "expert". It is the number 1 place for info but there a bunch of guys out there who do not know what Stunt Hanger is.  There  are lots building /flying CL models. Most are sport flyers or returning to the hobby. Few if any are interested in going to contests. They do like posting pics of builds and finished airplanes, and they aren't just guys from the US. The FB group membership is international. From what I've seen CL is alive and well all across the globe. I personally have met and flown with 3 guys from my area that I had no idea were here in TN. They aren't competitive and had no knowledge of the Stunt Hanger page but knew of the facebook group. Without that group we never would have met. I think any forum/group that connects modelers is a good thing. You may be surprised to find out there are people flying right in your own backyard that you've never run across.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
I think you are Right Ty. Not everyone who comes here wants to win the NATS or even enter contests, but may have just gotten in to the hobby for fun and remember how much they enjoyed it at some time in the past. So, we have people on here who have an interest in control line, but all for different reasons.

That makes it a little hard for some, as we do not know what another persons interest is. Many fun flyers love Fox 35 stunts because of past experience with them. Same with McCoy Red Heads or what ever we flew in the past. It is just a hobby for many.

I my self am stuck way in the past with almost all ignition planes. That is what I love and fuel is cheap for me as it is locally available without ordering it.

Then there are those that need the latest and greatest advancement in equipment to stay competitive at the top. There is nothing wrong with any from the guy who just got back into the hobby for fun, to the top competition flyers. But without knowing the interest of others we can give the wrong answers to their questions.

Having said all of that, what I miss most about going to contests is the comraderie of other stunt flyers. My health and my wifes have just not been conducive to traveling hundreds of miles to condests. Maybe this year.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:14:54 AM by Jim Kraft »
Jim Kraft

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 10:47:40 AM »
I keep tabs on the combat via face book and the Canadian face book site.  Stuka Stunt goes for several days without a post.  The Barton site is how I keep up with the guys/gals on the other side of the pond.   But Stunt Hanger is my number one site.  Almost forgot the Brotherhood of the Ring site.H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 11:35:24 AM »
facebook is killing ALL forums.  That's not exactly news!
Want to do something simple that will help?  Increase your picture size.  The fact that I have to go through a big process to reduce the size of normal Iphone photos to post them here CERTAINLY reduces my participation.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 11:41:14 AM »
Want to do something simple that will help?  Increase your picture size.  The fact that I have to go through a big process to reduce the size of normal Iphone photos to post them here CERTAINLY reduces my participation.
Do you post from your phone on here? I do. And I never have to resize any of my pics when posting. 

I use the Tapatalk app and all is well.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
      Hi:

I think that Ty is right on about his post! 

I promote Stunthanger to all who show interest in CL flying.  How many of these who are interested in CL flying is unknown to me.  That is the best that I can do.

All the best for 19,

Frank McCune

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
I was on facebook for a while. After some time it got aggravating, so I whittled my friend list down to family only. That was better, but even so things came up that created friction. About three years ago I deleted my facebook account and have never looked back.
facebook is a social cancer, and I’m glad to say I’m in remission.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 12:26:08 PM »
I was on facebook for a while. After some time it got aggravating, so I whittled my friend list down to family only. That was better, but even so things came up that created friction. About three years ago I deleted my facebook account and have never looked back.
facebook is what you want it to be.  Different things to different people.  I don't participate in friction there, EVER.  When people post politics of ANY kind, I just block them, no exceptions.  Yes, I have many friends who I do not see on facebook because of that.  So, for me, it's models, cars, motorcycles, not much else.
I know plenty of people like you who don't like facebook at all.  Which is fine.  Life is fine without facebook!  I'm not trying to sell anyone on it.
But as the original post postulates...it IS killing forums, most of the major modelling forums are a twee shadow of what they once were, or have shut down.  It's not the fault of the way Stunt Hangar is run, it's just the way the world changed.

Offline Allan Leonard

• A&P Mech
  • Ensign
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »
I'm can only assume that the "Control Liners" on FB and YT are of the more liberal type otherwise they would have been shut down. S?P

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 01:29:32 PM »
I'm can only assume that the "Control Liners" on FB and YT are of the more liberal type otherwise they would have been shut down. S?P
Bold statement considering the YouTube is with members of StuntHanger. And the facebook....  well theres quite a few that are regular posters here that are members of my co-owned group.   And for the record it's that attitude right there is what pushes folks from here....  oh yea... more libs here than in my group. But honestly. That shouldnt matter. We arent in this hobby to gossip and brush each others hair and talk about politics...

Yea I went there cause you went there.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Tom Vieira

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »
language fellas.....

that's a turn off to some folks as well.  personally, I don't care, but some do.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 02:03:18 PM »
I do both facebook and Stunthanger.

facebook has provided an open outlet for some of the off-topic stuff that used to show up in Stunthanger.  Maybe that 'splains some of the 27% drop in Stunthanger postings.

Stunthanger's rather small limitation on the size of pitchers is a downside vs facebook.  You can post all the BIG pitchers you want on FB.

Stunthanger is  better dedicated forum for the serious Control Line believer.
Paul Smith

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 02:08:06 PM »
I do both facebook and Stunthanger.

facebook has provided an open outlet for some of the off-topic stuff that used to show up in Stunthanger.  Maybe that 'splains some of the 27% drop in Stunthanger postings.

Stunthanger's rather small limitation on the size of pitchers is a downside vs facebook.  You can post all the BIG pitchers you want on FB.

Stunthanger is  better dedicated forum for the serious Control Line believer.
If people who look at StuntHanger on their phone would use the Tapatalk App to look at stunthanger. They would be able to post any pic they want as tapatalk will resize it automatically when its posted. Every pic I've posted since 2016 has been with that app.

Now I understand not everyone uses their phone. Best thing to do is find a pic host site like the old days.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 02:24:15 PM »
People like you are the problem.
Let me be more clear:
You are a fucking asshole.
YOU are the reason why forums are dying. 
It's not your politics.
It's the fact that you are a DICK who does not know how to behave in a public space.
Dude, talk like that will get you booted from here. Keep that for in person discussions.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:42:53 PM by mike londke »
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »
Dude talk like that will get you booted from here. Keep that for in person discussions.
And on facebook as well. Dane and I have no patience for that mess. 

Now in person. Hey its whatever.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 02:50:00 PM »
Screw THAT.  I'll own what I say.  Ban me, it's fine.  But I am truly OFFENDED by some ASSHOLE who tries to turn some discussion about a model airplane forum into some political discussion...it was either just someone who is really, really stupid, or just a weakass attempt at trolling.
And it is a prime reason why these forums are dying.  Right there.  Because people cannot restrain themselves.
I was only giving you a friendly reminder. It wasn't that you disagreed with the guys post, that's fine,  it was the profanity and name calling. Take your own advice and restrain yourself.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »
PS I really do not have a problem with being banned, and I have no suggestions on how the folks who run this site run their site, it's theirs to do as they see fit, it's all good to me, I kind of left all forums long ago, so I will be fine if I get booted off this one, too, I'll keep posting my time-wasting models and other projects on facebook, and I won't see any politics there, and it's all ok by me.
All I'm saying is if you would talk like that in my group you would be gone. No profanity or politics. It's that simple.

Same goes for this forum as well. Follow the rules. It's not hard.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 03:32:23 PM »
People like you are the problem.
Let me be more clear:
You are a fucking asshole.
YOU are the reason why forums are dying. 
It's not your politics.
It's the fact that you are a DICK who does not know how to behave in a public space.

Sparky???????????

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »
I'm leaving,  Not some big deal, not some big long goodbye post.
It's just that forums really got old for me a long time ago.  This adventure was dipping my toes back in, and it reminded me of why facebook works so much better FOR ME...you guys do what you want, enjoy.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
FYI... it's the same on FB DEPENDING on the group you are in. That nonsense wont fly in my groups.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »
You guys haven't noticed the "report to moderator" down in the right hand bottom of all posts? Some cleansing wouldn't hurt this thread at all. 'Bye, Curtis.   n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 03:55:53 PM »
FYI... it's the same on FB DEPENDING on the group you are in. That nonsense wont fly in my groups.

Exactly.  On FB, when someone talks politics, I just block them and it's done and done.  On forums, it's always creeping in, and I don't want it.  So long.  Again!

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »
You guys haven't noticed the "report to moderator" down in the right hand bottom of all posts? Some cleansing wouldn't hurt this thread at all. 'Bye, Curtis.   n1 Steve
Typical fey liberal response.  Oh, you read a swear word.  LET'S TELL THE TEACHER!  Hit the report button.
REAL Americans handle things themselves, and don't REPORT things.
And they NEVER, NEVER use EMOJIS.  Those are for teenage GIRLS.
Some of us learned to use ENGLISH and can express ourselves without those cheesy foreign lazy-azz shortcuts called EMOJIS.
Is there one here with an outstretched middle finger?  Nope?  FIGURES.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 05:04:57 PM »
Typical fey liberal response.  Oh, you read a swear word.  LET'S TELL THE TEACHER!  Hit the report button.
REAL Americans handle things themselves, and don't REPORT things.
And they NEVER, NEVER use EMOJIS.  Those are for teenage GIRLS.
Some of us learned to use ENGLISH and can express ourselves without those cheesy foreign lazy-azz shortcuts called EMOJIS.
Is there one here with an outstretched middle finger?  Nope?  FIGURES.

I thought you were leaving.
Don’t go away mad, just go away.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 05:22:19 PM »
I thought you were leaving.
Don’t go away mad, just go away.
You wrote that yourself?  That's BRILLIANT.  Can I use that?
That's why I come on to the internet, to meet real original thinkers like yourself.
Say...if they charged a nickel for every post, would you have posted that?  Your post was SO WORTH IT.
I'm not mad.  I'm laughing.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 05:38:43 PM »
Aren't you glad now that you cranked your cakehole open to disgorge your two(Canadian Socialist) cents in?
You wanted to be heard, I guess nobody listens to you in real life?
So you suggested that someone REPORT me.  And you reported me, too.
I'm gathering from your signature lines that you think yourself some sort of proper conservative American, and that you were sticking it to some sort of Third Bathroom using liveral?
Boyo, you got THAT wrong.
Firstup, your GRANDFATHER said the same thing about YOUR generation and YOU never stormed Normandy Beach.  YOU could not even storm the beach at Coney Island. EVERY generation says the same old hooey about "THESE KIDS TODAY!" but I guarantee you my seventeen year old daughter has more grit than YOU and would find you to be the weakass rainbow coalition lover that you are.
You think you are a conservative?  How many slaves do you own?  None?
How many wives do you have? ONE?
It's because you are WEAK.
You lack moral fortitude, it's Unamericans like you that are rotting this country from the inside, and no amount of POR-15 is going to stop it.
And General Mattis is a QUITTER.  Couldn't hack the mustard.  WEAKLING.  I'm not going to quote from a guy who gets his feewings all hurted becuase he does not like his boss.
Go back into your panic room/safe space and pull your pink blankie over your head now, Steve.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 05:42:45 PM »
Hi Curtis.  Having a bad day are we?  Has to be the winter weather.  Gives my right knee a lot of pain.  Assuming the same with you? Things will be better in the spring. Hang tough.
Oh, no, not at all.  Feeling great.  Building a Dave Diels Douglas Devastator, and filling up the hot tub for a soak while the glue dries on the fuselage stringers.  This is just fun excercise while I smoke a cheap cigar and look at the internet...nothing online REALLY affects me these days.  Hope your knee feels better, try home acupuncture with T-pins, it might work, and you don't need to pay a Chinese guy to stab you instead.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 05:53:55 PM »
Oh, no, not at all.  Feeling great.  Building a Dave Diels Douglas Devastator, and filling up the hot tub for a soak while the glue dries on the fuselage stringers.  This is just fun excercise while I smoke a cheap cigar and look at the internet...nothing online REALLY affects me these days.  Hope your knee feels better, try home acupuncture with T-pins, it might work, and you don't need to pay a Chinese guy to stab you instead.

Hey Curtis, you might want to consider getting back on your meds.
Just sayin

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 06:18:06 PM »
How do you access the YouTube hangout about control line?

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:33:58 PM by RC Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
All I can say about this thread is 'WOW"  and I think Jamie and Dane will understand why.   This is so unnecessary.

Mike

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
I would love to increase the picture size. Stunt Hangar is already giving twice as much as other forums for pictures. We are now on our third drive on our own box at a super high price per month. I don't have the zillions of Dollars like Farcebook.
AMA 12366

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »
POR-15. Good stuff. Used it on the 72 Challenger i restored.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2019, 06:48:39 PM »
Aren't you glad now that you cranked your cakehole open to disgorge your two(Canadian Socialist) cents in?
You wanted to be heard, I guess nobody listens to you in real life?
So you suggested that someone REPORT me.  And you reported me, too.
I'm gathering from your signature lines that you think yourself some sort of proper conservative American, and that you were sticking it to some sort of Third Bathroom using liveral?
Boyo, you got THAT wrong.
Firstup, your GRANDFATHER said the same thing about YOUR generation and YOU never stormed Normandy Beach.  YOU could not even storm the beach at Coney Island. EVERY generation says the same old hooey about "THESE KIDS TODAY!" but I guarantee you my seventeen year old daughter has more grit than YOU and would find you to be the weakass rainbow coalition lover that you are.
You think you are a conservative?  How many slaves do you own?  None?
How many wives do you have? ONE?
It's because you are WEAK.
You lack moral fortitude, it's Unamericans like you that are rotting this country from the inside, and no amount of POR-15 is going to stop it.
And General Mattis is a QUITTER.  Couldn't hack the mustard.  WEAKLING.  I'm not going to quote from a guy who gets his feewings all hurted becuase he does not like his boss.
Go back into your panic room/safe space and pull your pink blankie over your head now, Steve.
And this guy is calling people a$$#0les? Look in the mirror bud. I thought you said goodbye already Troll.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2019, 06:49:26 PM »
I would love to increase the picture size. Stunt Hangar is already giving twice as much as other forums for pictures. We are now on our third drive on our own box at a super high price per month. I don't have the zillions of Dollars like Farcebook.
Fair enough.  I ain't paying the bill.  But my guess is it would help participation.  That's opinion.  Not fact.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2019, 06:52:06 PM »
WOW! Never thought this thread would evolve into this! Looks like Stuntanger  is back.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »
And this guy is calling people a$$#0les? Look in the mirror bud.
I'm not Bud.  Bud is my brother.  He works as a bouncer at a strip club and keeps a Hatori Hanzo sword hidden in a golf bag in his trailer out in the desert,

Say...is there anyone there with you?  You MIGHT want to have someone there read over your posts before you hit "send".  Just thinking...a second opinion before posting might be good for you.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2019, 07:42:26 PM »
I'm leaving,  Not some big deal, not some big long goodbye post.
It's just that forums really got old for me a long time ago.  This adventure was dipping my toes back in, and it reminded me of why facebook works so much better FOR ME...you guys do what you want, enjoy.

With as many reports I got on you maybe facebook is a better place for you. Have fun
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:39:57 PM by RC Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 07:43:45 PM »
With as many report I got on you maybe facebook is a better place for you. Have fun
He wont be in my group rest assured.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 07:48:15 PM »
He wont be in my group rest assured.

He's no longer here either
AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 07:54:07 PM »
He's no longer here either

Seemed like a 'Jet clone to me, good riddance.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »
...and after a brief but entertaining hiccup, Stunthangar resumes it's peaceful slumber....

On the plus side I've learnt what POR-15 is.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 09:28:33 PM »
 Hard to figure specific reasons, but I've noticed for quite some time now that there aren't nearly as many posts/threads related to new builds and related activity as there used to be on the forum. I really miss that. On the other hand, there has been an ongoing noticeable growth in posts that don't really have much (or anything?) to do with building or flying our C/L models. Somehow, it would be nice to see the focus here get back to C/L modeling, the forums original intent. Leave all the other unrelated stuff to another forum or something. For example, I'm a Hot Rod guy too, but I don't come here wanting to see or talk about car stuff. I don't know how much real difference it makes, but all us of keeping that in mind might help out Sparky by not chewing up extra server space too?

Thankfully, there are still a token few examples like Doc and Ty that keep cranking out and showing us new projects. There are some other "regulars" that we can usually count on too, but it seems like very few anymore. Some of this probably has to do with our aging group, but there's still plenty of folks here that could be adding fresh new content. I'll admit that I've slowed with my own additions, only for lack of any new activity since last spring in my shop. Same problem as some others here I'm sure. I will be back to work soon with painting the P-38 though, and look forward to adding some new stuff here then.

Another thought is that myself, I've always used building and finishing posts from others here as inspiration to get off my duff and get down in the shop. Personally, lack of new content here definitely makes a difference in my level of ambition and related shop activity. For a long time now I've really missed seeing Sparky's building/painting posts here, always good stuff, and at a level to aspire to. I get his desire to use some other formats, but I'd much rather just find his additions right here on the forum rather than chasing some other complicated avenue. That's just one example, but things here are definitely a lot different than they used to be, and I miss it.  D>K

BTW, I don't participate in FB or any other social media, and if I have my way I never will.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:55:55 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 09:48:18 PM »
    Well, one issue that is affecting things is something we can't do anything about, and that is time marches on! As times change, people change and their situations change and they have to adjust accordingly. I think most of us have read posts by Andre Ming on the list, mostly related to combat, Fox engines and such. I knew Andre from a Yahoo special interest group related to vintage enduro motorcycles called VINDURO  that he owns, and I think I joined that group before Stunthanger came into existence. VINDURO was a hot and happening forum with tons of technical information on rebuilding, repairing, restoring and racing vintage off road dirt bikes. Many, many cool guys and many members are/were former factory racers, mechanics and such. I forget how many members it has reached, but like this site, had members from all around the world and I have been fortunate enough to have met some of them and able to call Andre and the others friends. But, like the subject of this thread, facebook comes along and a VINDURO facebook page gets started up and members start drifting over there. Action on the original Yahoo slowed to a crawl but it is still up and running and has seen some renewed interest as Andre has retired and has more time to devote to it, and others drifted back due to the same burnout on FB as others here have experienced. I have never participated on FB because mainly I don't have time to spend on it. I don't know how some of you guys do it, but sometimes I have trouble checking in here! But there is one huge similarity between Stunthanger and VINDURO, and I'm sure other groups  share also, is the ability to archive information. I have done it on both sites numerous time to recall some tidbit of information I needed but wanted to make sure of. They can't do that on facebook, from what I understand. This site is a virtual encyclopedia of almost ANYTHING that you could want to know about building and flying a stunt model and all the other disciplines listed here with it. I don't think you can come close to that on facebook. And on top of that, it's a much SAFER site in many ways. The passage of time will tell the whole story of how things progress and I intend to stick around and watch it happen.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 04:37:14 AM »
    Well, one issue that is affecting things is something we can't do anything about, and that is time marches on! As times change, people change and their situations change and they have to adjust accordingly. I think most of us have read posts by Andre Ming on the list, mostly related to combat, Fox engines and such. I knew Andre from a Yahoo special interest group related to vintage enduro motorcycles called VINDURO  that he owns, and I think I joined that group before Stunthanger came into existence. VINDURO was a hot and happening forum with tons of technical information on rebuilding, repairing, restoring and racing vintage off road dirt bikes. Many, many cool guys and many members are/were former factory racers, mechanics and such. I forget how many members it has reached, but like this site, had members from all around the world and I have been fortunate enough to have met some of them and able to call Andre and the others friends. But, like the subject of this thread, facebook comes along and a VINDURO facebook page gets started up and members start drifting over there. Action on the original Yahoo slowed to a crawl but it is still up and running and has seen some renewed interest as Andre has retired and has more time to devote to it, and others drifted back due to the same burnout on FB as others here have experienced. I have never participated on FB because mainly I don't have time to spend on it. I don't know how some of you guys do it, but sometimes I have trouble checking in here! But there is one huge similarity between Stunthanger and VINDURO, and I'm sure other groups  share also, is the ability to archive information. I have done it on both sites numerous time to recall some tidbit of information I needed but wanted to make sure of. They can't do that on facebook, from what I understand. This site is a virtual encyclopedia of almost ANYTHING that you could want to know about building and flying a stunt model and all the other disciplines listed here with it. I don't think you can come close to that on facebook. And on top of that, it's a much SAFER site in many ways. The passage of time will tell the whole story of how things progress and I intend to stick around and watch it happen.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
On a FB group. Stuff is archived. As long as the original poster didnt delete the post. It can be found with the Search feature like here.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Angelo Smyth

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 05:04:31 AM »

AMEN to that!
-A.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 07:20:27 AM »
Now in no way am I saying FB is better than here. Because it isnt. You simply cannot get the info on FB like you can here.

The FB Control Line Flying group is just another place to talk control line. It has its perks but also has its downsides. It's more or less catered to the sport flyers with a mix of everything else.

And the Youtube hangout is a place for those of us to live stream and work on projects and talk about control line flying in real time. Live. Sure topics do veer off and such but that's the way it goes.

Heck a couple of us often get on live stream and BS and build our planes at random times of the day or not and it's not on youtube.

Year or so ago Tom Creasey and I would get on every sunday morning and shoot the bull and work on our winter projects. Without Sparky bringing the hangout to us we would have never even thought about it.

Now I'm not trying to sell facebook to anyone nor will I beg or tell anyone they must get on our group. It's just another place to talk control line. It has its rules just like here. 

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
Seems like topics have tapered off a bit lately. I wonder if the several facebook control line pages and the twice-weekly YouTube hangout are slowly draining Stunthanger of content. I follow many of the facebook CL pages and I watch the YouTube hangouts.  I see a lot of stuff out happening out there in the control line universe and it seems like only a bit is making it onto this forum. Remember to keep posting here as well, folks!

I think it related to lessened activity. The decreasing amount of posts in happening in all forums, RC Groups, RC Universe, Cox Engine Forums, Brotherhood of the Ring, Stuka Stunt, Hip Pocket Aeronautics and etc.  Recreational activities even such as motorcycle riding is down. We've had 2 motorcycle shops locally close within the past couple years.

The only reason why it seems there is more activity in facebook is that it is widely used, and even the curious can easily join. You just click join, and after admin clicks OK, you're in.

However, there is a tremendous amount of off topic type tangent posts within those FB groups. It is what it is, good for some things, not so good for others. Perhaps occasionally mentioning Stunt Hangar or posting a link back to Stunt Hangar will encourage people to come this way.

My postings are down, but that is because of my involvement in charitable activities and age has been creeping up on me. I'm not the same I was 10 years ago.

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »
I'm not sure I'm wording this correctly, but the few times I've looked at facebook, it has looked to me like a great venue for narcissism.
Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2019, 08:34:14 AM »
Now for a millennials' perspective ;D

The facebook pages and Stunthanger CAN go hand in hand.  People wanting to connect with other modelers will think to look on facebook first, as there are facebook pages for just about everything under the sun.  Having a few good experienced people on that page helps newcomers sort through the influx of information that is put out on it.  In my opinion, there are quite a few folks on those groups that barely know what they're doing and have no business dishing out advice, but that's just me.  Its still a good way for folks getting back into the hobby to get information or ask a quick question.  I usually send folks a PM with a link to this form, and that if they have any more questions, to jump on here and do some research.  facebook can be a good recruiting tool for here. 

There is the picture size issue, and I understand that there is nothing to be done about it. I post pictures of projects on facebook to just get it out there and maybe inspire folks.

For those that poo-poo facebook, like already mentioned, its what you make of it.  I have a lot of family and friends that I keep in touch with on social media.  I use it to monitor my Soldiers, ranging from 19-24 years of age.  Kids post everything on social media, so I keep tabs on them that way and can usually identify issues that they're having (marital issues, depression, significant life events, ect) through their posts.  facebook also helps me remember their birthdays and anniversaries  LL~ .  I also use it as a networking tool for work, keeping in contact with people that I have previously worked with and some work-related pages that we in the UAS community use to share information.  There's allot of people out there that seem to try to win the political battle by posting useless garbage on it, but that's pretty easy to filter out.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »
It is each it's own to me..  all serves it's purposes.  :)

Stunthanger - Technical infos, AMA Events,  New ideas, Resolving Trim & Run issues, Flying techniques, Set ups, Classified section, etc.

facebook - Photo, Video, New control line product like ultra light CF props, composite wing / fuse parts etc.  Also Control Line clubs in other countries,  World Championships FAI Events World Wide. 

You Tube -  Flight Videos at the WC, Nats, Local contest. Self coaching flights,  building techniques, painting tutorial etc.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:14:04 AM by Joe Yau »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »
I do not think the picture size is a problem, even the ones I post.  If not large enough I click on link/address below the picture and enlarge if it needs to be for viewing.   But as far as FB if I get something I don't like I delete it.   have a niece that could use a good bar of soap in the mouth.   I'm no angel either and have to ask forgiveness once in a while. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
To Wayne's point of the decline of pertinent posts on this forum and Sparky's post about being down a good percentage.  If you think it has slowed down here, check out Leonard's forum.  It has become almost stagnant.  Some of it I am sure is due to attrition..

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 04:17:31 PM »
Attrition is definitely one of the causes.  Just think of all that have died in the last year alone, that used to post on here. One was a local club member.  I can think of one out of south Louisiana, two from Florida, etc. I think for every new member, we lose two.

Absolutely TY and it is only going to get worse.

Mike

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 05:01:21 PM »
I am with you on that but the solution is to figure out how to take lower resolution pictures.  Sparky just had to add another drive just for pix.  I download mine to "paint" and resize the ones I want to 25%.  Only takes a couple of minutes.  It would be nice if something on SH end could automatically resize them but that takes time and $$$.  My IPhone takes them about 400% too big.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
I am with you on that but the solution is to figure out how to take lower resolution pictures.  Sparky just had to add another drive just for pix.  I download mine to "paint" and resize the ones I want to 25%.  Only takes a couple of minutes.  It would be nice if something on SH end could automatically resize them but that takes time and $$$.  My IPhone takes them about 400% too big.

Ken
Tapatalk app!!!!!!!!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 05:46:41 PM »
I use facebook mainly as a place to post photos. Most of C/L planes and people. Probably around 1500 pics at present. Unfortunately not organized very well. Originally intended to just post a few action shots but  it got a bit out of hand.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »

facebook is a social cancer,

Quite possibly the best description of FB I've ever heard. IMO it's coming up on having ruined and entire generations "real life" person to person social abilities. Sean makes some good points but I'm still convinced the world would be a better place if it had never existed.

Wayne Willey

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »
Quite possibly the best description of FB I've ever heard. IMO it's coming up on having ruined and entire generations "real life" person to person social abilities. Sean makes some good points but I'm still convinced the world would be a better place if it had never existed.

yea..  But it all depends how you use it.  I actually have two facebook page.  One is dedicated to CLPA, and the other for Hi-End Audio systems (home & mobile). Lots of great infos in fb.  H^^

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2019, 06:21:37 PM »
facebook is a social cancer,
This YouTube video makes an interesting point in a humorous sort of way, I think you all will enjoy because of its frankness. First time I had E-mail and a terminal of my own to work from was my first job in aerospace back in 1982. (In college, I was limited to punched cards and a few shared then primitive 8 bit business and scientific computers accessed late at night because they were booked during the day.)

The humor is in the man's explanation and the cartoon art, not jabbing the millennials, but explains the problems that full access at a very young age with social media creates.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:38:52 PM by George Hostler »

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2019, 06:51:26 PM »
For a short time, SH had a Farcebook page. That was until I found out that Mark Suckerburgh was a CIA agent and Darpa was the real inventor and everything is monitored and all DATA is sold for a profit. What better way to gather DATA on everyone than to have them spill their guts on every move they make throughout the day. Oh, I almost forgot one better way is to have them Pay for their own DNA test to see who they are? Think I am wrong? I bet I am not!

If you are on facebook do yourself a favor and leave it before they know what color toilet paper you have in your bathroom.

If you have facebook on your phone they monitor your movements within 10 feet 24-7 pretty creepy
AMA 12366

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2019, 07:50:29 PM »
I've tried in vain for years to get my (grown) children to get off facebook and not tell the world everything going on in their lives.  I've seen one daughter upset and outraged over others opinions about what she does.  That thing has an off switch.  Better for everyone in my view to dump it.  I also wonder: I'm on the computers quite a bit-like everyone else but could it be we are doing more 'modeling' on the keyboard these days than at the building table?  Maybe that's why a whole lot less seems to be getting done? 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2019, 07:58:29 PM »

I also wonder: I'm on the computers quite a bit-like everyone else but could it be we are doing more 'modeling' on the keyboard these days than at the building table?  Maybe that's why a whole lot less seems to be getting done? 

Dave

Bingo.  :)

Wayne Willey

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »

From a flip phone toting old geezer. . . . facebook is insanity!

Ara

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:43 PM »
You know the cell phones are almost as bad.   When my daughter can get on her phone and type in my number and see where in town I'm at.   I don't have any apps on my phone except the directory of people I call or message,  the weather app and solitaire. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2019, 06:45:27 AM »
There's plenty of information about Forums on line.

There's all kinds of Forums, thousands of them.

The bottom line is a Forum is just people. People ARE the Forum.

The quality of the individual and the way these individuals present themselves AND relate to others in the Forum, sets the quality of the Forum.

Like the movie, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

People aren't perfect.

Go on line and research Forums.

Answers are there.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2019, 08:05:38 PM »
I also wonder: I'm on the computers quite a bit-like everyone else but could it be we are doing more 'modeling' on the keyboard these days than at the building table?  Maybe that's why a whole lot less seems to be getting done? 

Dave

I've been thinking about that the last couple of days.  I spend more time on Stunt Hangar, CEF, the RCG CL section, and Outerzone than I do at the work table.  It's so easy to just sit down and page through posts when I get home from work.  I've got to just clear off some room and just get back to building one of the 20 projects I've got in the pipeline, and leave the computer turned off.

Mark

Offline Deric Herrmann

• Ensign
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2019, 06:14:46 AM »
Speaking from the viewpoint of someone getting back into the hobby / sport from being absent for 25 years I may be able to offer an outside opinion regarding facebook / Youtube / Stunthanger.

First, I believe facebook is a social tool, not much else. If you want to post pictures, tell folks when you're flying next, or just want to show off pictures of your plane so your relatives can see, it's great. Relatives are not going to get onto Stunthanger to see your rigs and it's a nice place to post those things. Maybe gain some interest from a younger person that sees Uncle Joe's plane and would like to build something like that. Advice on facebook? Eh... Might be better places.

Youtube? I watch tons of it. But I also have a complete and real grasp of reality that just because someone does something on there doesn't mean it will work for me or tun out as well as it did for them. It just may be there 1021st plane build.

Stuntahnger falls into the category of me finding people, networking and finding real solutions to problems I have building or flying. I take all that i see on facebook and Youtube and ask a few people on Stunthanger if this info is true and does it actually work as described. Just because it's on the web doesn't mean it's true. I like talking to people and networking, building long term relationships to find long term solutions to the things I'm coming up against. What worked for me 25 yrs ago doesn't work now and I'm having to learn a ton of things. I love it and have found some true gems of humanity.

The real question we need to ask is not which area is getting more air time. What we need to ask is how do we get a younger generation interested in a wonderful hobby that will teach them some great skills that they can use in everyday life? Fortunately / Unfortunately, Youtube and facebook are those avenues to do this. But we also need good quality folks in their area that would like to mentor people on building and flying techniques that they will need.

Stunthanger is that mentoring machine that is so desperately needed in our hobby.

Dwayne

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2019, 07:21:21 AM »
AMEN to that!

facebook is like any other tool, if used right it's awesome. I'm that guy, I've found 3 guy's I knew when I was a kid back in the 60's, I use it to keep in touch with friends and family   who have moved, C/L  rc pages, motorsports but mostly for our local music scene and where the jam sessions are. If someone starts posting things I don't like I simply unfolow or block them, very easy to do.   y1

Tom Vieira

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2019, 08:22:57 AM »
Speaking from the viewpoint of someone getting back into the hobby / sport from being absent for 25 years I may be able to offer an outside opinion regarding facebook / Youtube / Stunthanger.

First, I believe facebook is a social tool, not much else. If you want to post pictures, tell folks when you're flying next, or just want to show off pictures of your plane so your relatives can see, it's great. Relatives are not going to get onto Stunthanger to see your rigs and it's a nice place to post those things. Maybe gain some interest from a younger person that sees Uncle Joe's plane and would like to build something like that. Advice on facebook? Eh... Might be better places.

Youtube? I watch tons of it. But I also have a complete and real grasp of reality that just because someone does something on there doesn't mean it will work for me or tun out as well as it did for them. It just may be there 1021st plane build.

Stuntahnger falls into the category of me finding people, networking and finding real solutions to problems I have building or flying. I take all that i see on facebook and Youtube and ask a few people on Stunthanger if this info is true and does it actually work as described. Just because it's on the web doesn't mean it's true. I like talking to people and networking, building long term relationships to find long term solutions to the things I'm coming up against. What worked for me 25 yrs ago doesn't work now and I'm having to learn a ton of things. I love it and have found some true gems of humanity.

The real question we need to ask is not which area is getting more air time. What we need to ask is how do we get a younger generation interested in a wonderful hobby that will teach them some great skills that they can use in everyday life? Fortunately / Unfortunately, Youtube and facebook are those avenues to do this. But we also need good quality folks in their area that would like to mentor people on building and flying techniques that they will need.

Stunthanger is that mentoring machine that is so desperately needed in our hobby.

Good points, Deric!  hope to see you out at Lunkin field or the Buzzard's home turf!

John Gluth

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2019, 08:51:00 AM »
" What we need to ask is how do we get a younger generation interested in a wonderful hobby that will teach them some great skills that they can use in everyday life? Fortunately / Unfortunately, Youtube and facebook are those avenues to do this. But we also need good quality folks in their area that would like to mentor people on building and flying techniques that they will need.

Stunthanger is that mentoring machine that is so desperately needed in our hobby. "
Yes, Thank you Deric. Since the early 1960s, interest and building skills were cultivated as quoted, from friends and family. For that I’m grateful. Whoever you are that know me, THANK YOU! Many on this forum have shared and received mentoring, currently and LONG before Internet forum and social sites.
In this digital age, I’m proud of those who take time to cultivate mechanical skills in a youngster person-to-person.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here