News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:07:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Appearance points for Intermediate Stunt at the NATS?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Appearance points for Intermediate Stunt at the NATS?
« on: May 04, 2021, 07:37:44 AM »
Are appearance points awarded for Intermediate stunt at the NATS? BOM rule in effect?
Thanks
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Appearance points for Intermediate Stunt at the NATS?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 10:05:14 AM »
Dave having never been directly involved in running Intermediate myself I will stick my neck out.  I’m sure there is no BOM rule as it true of other ‘PAMPA’ events unless required by some local contest venues.  In Advanced there are appearance points judged, but only for BOM models.  Non- BOM can fly sans any appearance points.  I’m more gray about whether there is any appearance judging Intermediate- don’t think so but stand to be corrected.  They use the same score sheet as the other events but I think the appearance box is marked N/A.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 10:25:30 AM »
that is my understanding
rad racer

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:42:18 AM »
  I’m more gray about whether there is any appearance judging Intermediate- don’t think so but stand to be corrected.  They use the same score sheet as the other events but I think the appearance box is marked N/A.

In the published rules INT/ADV/EXP Skill class have appearance points - you get them if you built it, you get 0 if you did not. Beginner has no appearance points.  Note that the NATs Beginner and Intermediate are not official events, so deviations are possible.

Brett

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 01:30:01 PM »
When I entered Intermediate years ago, they had appearance judging and lined the models up in rows just like Advanced/Open.  I remember it well because Doug Moon and Bradley Walker were the appearance judges and I ended up on the first row.  I also received the Pilot's choice award.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 02:57:48 PM »
I too got judged for appearance when I flew Intermediate at the NATS. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 04:45:12 PM »
OK I spoke with Bob.  He wasn't sure either but Elaine pulled out score sheets from last year and yes indeed,  they did judge appearance so that should answer the question-wipe the bugs off as the judges approach.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 05:05:27 PM »
OK I spoke with Bob.  He wasn't sure either but Elaine pulled out score sheets from last year and yes indeed,  they did judge appearance so that should answer the question-wipe the bugs off as the judges approach.

Dave

At the 94 NATS, I was putting on paint with a brush in the parking lot 15 minutes before they closed the doors!  Good thing it was AeroGloss and it was 105 degrees.

Brett

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 06:14:44 PM »
Thank you Dave and Bob!
Anybody got Monokote polish they will sell?

Dave
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 08:12:01 AM »
They do not add points to your score for appearance. They do however judge best Brodak kit {sponsor). And also pilots choice but again no points awarded towards flight scores. Unless they changed it last year as I did not make it.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 11:57:10 AM »
They do not add points to your score for appearance. They do however judge best Brodak kit {sponsor). And also pilots choice but again no points awarded towards flight scores. Unless they changed it last year as I did not make it.
So after reading yours and Dave's post it is a definite maybe? LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 12:43:42 PM »

No offense intended, but when the ED says that's what they are going to do, I would presume that to be definitive. From a competitive standpoint, appearance points really have no net effect in intermediate, because the difference between the skill levels tends to be *much larger* than  20 points worth. At local events, the few intermediate battles are almost always decided by someone overruning, underrunning, leaving out a maneuver, crashing, etc. It's better than that at the NATs, but you still have a huge skill range and that almost always decides it.

It's not an official event, so they can more-or-less do what they want, but barring a stated deviation, better start polishing!

Brett

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 03:51:35 PM »
Brett No offense taken but I have flown that event the last 4 years at the NATS with the exception of last year. Bob Brookens was and may still be the intermediate ed/cd. And I know that no appearance points were given. Unless like I quoted " Unless they changed it last year as I did not make it" I have no problem with BOM or appearance points. I actually welcome it.
Rick
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 03:55:16 PM »
Brett I also know a lot of beginners and intermediate flyers would welcome the advice of the open flyers on Saturday and during the event on Sunday but that rarely happens.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »
Brett I also know a lot of beginners and intermediate flyers would welcome the advice of the open flyers on Saturday and during the event on Sunday but that rarely happens.

Look me up.  I'm full of advice, but you're better off getting it from Brett.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 04:21:14 PM »
Howard I was wanting to do that Monday when I was just blocks from your place but ran out of time. I was hoping I would catch you out practicing.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 10:35:29 PM »

I would think that would be great, unfortunately, I get there only late on Saturday, and after 3 straight days driving, I try to take it pretty easy on Sunday, not too early. So, by the time I get everything sorted out and get to the field, its mid-morning - and the contest is more-or-less over. 

Of course, there are other guys there, too, so if you are having problems, there should be plenty of people to help.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here