News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:37:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone with access to a CNC wood router?  (Read 879 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Anyone with access to a CNC wood router?
« on: March 13, 2023, 08:32:44 PM »
I'm not going to actually need this information for months, if not a year, but -- does anyone have, or have access to, a CNC wood router?

I'm planning on my next plane to have a fully molded balsa fuselage, and I'd rather start with milled bucks than build them up myself (partially out of plain old laziness, and partially so it'll match from side to side).

It's either get them routed out of some suitable wood, or get myself a 3D printer and make a whole bunch of sections to stick together into a whole.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Anyone with access to a CNC wood router?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 02:42:02 AM »
Another thought would be to laser a bunch of stations and hot wire foam between them.  Better yet, buy or make a CNC router and strike a cutting-exchange deal with a guy with a laser.   
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 04:38:02 AM »
I'm not going to actually need this information for months, if not a year, but -- does anyone have, or have access to, a CNC wood router?

I'm planning on my next plane to have a fully molded balsa fuselage, and I'd rather start with milled bucks than build them up myself (partially out of plain old laziness, and partially so it'll match from side to side).

It's either get them routed out of some suitable wood, or get myself a 3D printer and make a whole bunch of sections to stick together into a whole.

Tim, were you in Western Australia I'd be able to help. Sadly I think the shipping prices might kill you!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 12:33:30 PM »
Tim, were you in Western Australia I'd be able to help. Sadly I think the shipping prices might kill you!

Thanks -- yes, I did ask this on a group local to me before (literally) throwing it out to the world.

It'd be fun to come pick them up, but just getting a CNC router would probably be cheaper.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 07:16:20 PM »
You can have it printed at https://craftcloud3d.com/ a 3D printing service for a reasonable price.  Here's a picture of Tom Luciano's new fuselage I had printed for him.  Six pieces.
Jim Vigani

Offline spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 06:53:00 AM »
Check facebook locally. The surface needs some help near the tail before you can get a toolpath out of it.
Greg

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 09:33:41 AM »
Check facebook locally. The surface needs some help near the tail before you can get a toolpath out of it.

I know the surface has problems and needs to be fixed.  That's the second loft I've ever done with a 3D CAD program, so I was neither surprised nor cast into dark despair when it wasn't perfect.

I did check with local-ish modelers on facebook, but I'll open up the search a bit -- that's a good thought.
AMA 64232

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 01:24:26 AM »
Another thought would be to laser a bunch of stations and hot wire foam between them.  Better yet, buy or make a CNC router and strike a cutting-exchange deal with a guy with a laser.

Or buy or make CNC foam cutter and cut those stations (tapered) from 2" blue foam and glue and sand them. It will be also useful for cutting foam wings. Guess how I know? :-P There is also set of available software for such cutters.

https://www.devcad.com/eng/devcncfoam.asp

EDIT: sorry, now I found whole thread about CNC foam cutter, I see I must read SH more often  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here