News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:01:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stated Model Weight Convention  (Read 548 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Stated Model Weight Convention
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »
Hello All:

Many folks posting here helpfully tell us how much their completed model weighs, usually in ounces. Whenever this happens, I'm left wondering what that figure includes. I can usually guess whether it's with or without the engine and muffler. But what about landing gear, fuel tank, fuel lines & filter, prop, spinner, kitchen sink, what-have-you?

What's the short and sweet of it?

Thanks.

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Stated Model Weight Convention
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 11:32:01 AM »
By the rule book, unless otherwise stated.  One model, no lines, ready to fly.  Tank empty for a slimer, with battery for a zapper.

If you want to say what it is without battery or wheels or whatever, say so.  It's probably best to say "with battery" if you're talking about a 'lectric.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:33:14 AM »
I personally don't post a weight until it's weighed at a contest. Then that should be the "I'm about to go fly it officially" weight.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »
Hello All:

Many folks posting here helpfully tell us how much their completed model weighs, usually in ounces. Whenever this happens, I'm left wondering what that figure includes. I can usually guess whether it's with or without the engine and muffler. But what about landing gear, fuel tank, fuel lines & filter, prop, spinner, kitchen sink, what-have-you?

What's the short and sweet of it?

Usually, it's all-up, ready to go, with the battery in for electric, but no fuel for IC.

And, technically, it's usually whatever it really weighs, minus 4 ounces, until a third party weighs it, then the scales are wrong.

Brett

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »
L

And, technically, it's usually whatever it really weighs, minus 4 ounces, until a third party weighs it, then the scales are wrong.

Brett
[/quote]

Did you learn that from David, or Ted?  😂😂😂

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:31:34 PM »

Did you learn that from David, or Ted?  😂😂😂

It's just something you pick up over the years. One of the most notable examples was at some team trials, where the usual ridiculous bragging contest went on after model processing, and some guy with a 4-stroke Mustang weighed the most of any model present - and then won.

But at the same time, everybody's airplane was coming out exactly where they though it would, mine within a  few grams, for instance. Another notable's airplane weighed in at 67 ounces, he immediately and vociferously objected, and spend the rest of the weekend stomping around in anger claiming that it really weighed 59, and the scales were wrong. Every time it seemed like he had moved on, his "buddies" needled him again, spinning him back up. Some buddies!

The best thing about it was that the "buddy" was flying a similar design, that actually did weigh 58 or 59 - but it didn't fly *nearly* as well as the heavy one!

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 04:13:50 PM »
Lots of folks seem to weigh their plane (speaking either greaser or electron) at home, locking that number into their brain, and conveniently forget that they had to add two ounces of tipweight, and five ounces of nose weight to make it fly reasonably well. No bueno...  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here