News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:43:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone get to see this plane fly?  (Read 815 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Anyone get to see this plane fly?
« on: August 06, 2022, 04:58:57 PM »
Found this crawling some old files.
I hear the photos of this plane does not do it justice.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Anyone get to see this plane fly?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 04:59:32 PM »
From a old stunt news.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 08:04:04 PM »
Jim flew that plane to 6th place at the 1976 Nats. It was a great flying ship!

Bob Hunt

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 09:07:27 PM »
   I am not 100 percent sure, but I believe that model may have passed through some hands here in St. Louis. Back in the mid to late 80' when I got to know Gary Hajek, there was another guy living here who worked as a contractor at McDonnell-Douglas named Lee Euberbacher. I may not have his last name spelled correctly but some of you might know who I'm talking about. It was ether Lee or Gary had bought that model, I think, at one time or another. I don't think there is anyone else here that would remember for sure. Jim might be the only one that remembers if he sold the model or not.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 09:29:08 PM »
 I was privileged to see Jim fly this plane at Buder Park in St. Louis around 1974 or so. He had come to town to fly in a contest. Absolutely stunning plane and was mesmerizing to watch in the air. I remember it well. I was also privileged to see Jim fly his Volunteer at Buder Park as well. Another stunning model. Some models you just never forget.

Blessings;
  Larry

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 10:44:34 PM »
I was privileged to see Jim fly this plane at Buder Park in St. Louis around 1974 or so. He had come to town to fly in a contest. Absolutely stunning plane and was mesmerizing to watch in the air. I remember it well. I was also privileged to see Jim fly his Volunteer at Buder Park as well. Another stunning model. Some models you just never forget.

Blessings;
  Larry
He built two more. Bob Hunt did a foam core for one I think.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 11:45:17 PM »
I'll do you one better. I have film of that plane flying at the 78 Nats on YouTube. **update. I don't have video of Jim Lynch flying, that is Frank Williams.**
 Shot by my dad when he was ED.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 09:45:00 AM by Shorts,David »

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 07:33:52 AM »
I'll do you one better. I have film of that plane flying at the 78 Nats on YouTube.
Lynch is flying just after 3:00. Shot by my dad when he was ED.

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 09:09:39 AM »
   I am not 100 percent sure, but I believe that model may have passed through some hands here in St. Louis. Back in the mid to late 80' when I got to know Gary Hajek, there was another guy living here who worked as a contractor at McDonnell-Douglas named Lee Euberbacher. I may not have his last name spelled correctly but some of you might know who I'm talking about. It was ether Lee or Gary had bought that model, I think, at one time or another. I don't think there is anyone else here that would remember for sure. Jim might be the only one that remembers if he sold the model or not.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
Dan, I knew Lee quite well when he moved to Dallas.  We flew together nearly every week for several years.  I don't remember him ever mentioning owning that plane, he was a Tallon man at the time but reading some of the posts about him, he did have a Bearcat later, but it came from Bill Rutherford.  When I re-entered the Stunt world in 2017, Lee was the first one I tried to look up.  He was already gone.  He was quite a friend and coach; he could tell you that your pattern looked like crap and make you feel good about it.

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 09:16:26 AM »
David

Jim wasn't at the 78 Nats ...... The Bearcat you filmed was mine.  That was my first Nats.  It had an ST46, shock gear, and a K$B epoxy finish.

Another interesting factoid is that Jim Casale's plane had been splattered and was put back together from a thousand pieces.  He got 4 appearance points that year.  Norm Whittle's blue Sultan was flawless, maybe just a little plain for the judges.  Ron's P40 was really nice.  He was a great builder.  David McClellan's FW190 was also a great model, very light weight.  The published plane is stilll a good model to build.  I didn't own a pair of white pants.  I was in a pair of blue shorts, the length of which now make me cringe.

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 09:44:09 AM »
David

Jim wasn't at the 78 Nats ...... The Bearcat you filmed was mine.  That was my first Nats.  It had an ST46, shock gear, and a K$B epoxy finish.

Another interesting factoid is that Jim Casale's plane had been splattered and was put back together from a thousand pieces.  He got 4 appearance points that year.  Norm Whittle's blue Sultan was flawless, maybe just a little plain for the judges.  Ron's P40 was really nice.  He was a great builder.  David McClellan's FW190 was also a great model, very light weight.  The published plane is stilll a good model to build.  I didn't own a pair of white pants.  I was in a pair of blue shorts, the length of which now make me cringe.
Thank you Frank. I'll be sure to update that in the description. I'm not sure I can update it on the video itself, but I'll see. That's a good factoid about Casale. Perhaps that is the record for lowest appearance points ever.

David

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 12:18:44 PM »

Okay, this one has Jim Lynch flying the Bearcat at 7:30. 99% certain this time. From 1975. Again, my dad did video.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here