News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:02:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any body else watching the Artemis launch tonight  (Read 912 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Any body else watching the Artemis launch tonight
« on: November 15, 2022, 11:40:58 PM »
   As the title says! One advantage of not having to get up in the morning is being able to stay up and watch stuff like this that I missed before retiring!!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Any body else watching the Artemis launch tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 12:41:16 AM »
   As the title says! One advantage of not having to get up in the morning is being able to stay up and watch stuff like this that I missed before retiring!!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

It's late evening here, I am watching it. Coverage is not to Paul Haney standards, but OK. *Lots* of tangential and off-topic "features" to kill time for the short-attention-span generation. Less schtick, more information, please!

Musk was commenting in the live-comments section earlier, making a putz of himself again. Circ burn soon, TLI in a few hours.

Before someone asks, I had *nearly nothing* to do with Orion, with only a few consulting phone calls a very long time ago on the SM thruster control, which is a surprisingly challenging problem with the ESA-supplied SM, and the old shuttle OMS-engine and gimbal system. I guess we are going to see here in a few minutes.

Brett

p.s. Circ burn over, successful, and you can see one of the complicating factors in downlink video!  Look at MET about 53 minutes, they have 20-30 seconds of live video from the end of a solar array, and that thing is moving pretty darn good, at least a few inches at about 1/2 Hz. Flex properties are typically drivers for control design. This is with the second stage engine on, so it's a lot of load.

p.p.s. went back and timed 5 cycles of SA flex, so about 0.46 Hz. I guarantee you some of my colleagues, somewhere,  are doing the same thing from telemetry right now.

p.p.p.s. I am seeing a shot from the MCC, they appear to use InControl ground system software, same as the one we have, although we run a more flexible display system on top of it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:16:18 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 10:17:17 AM »
   I thought I had missed it. Been digitizing some videos in the basement and lost track of time. Normally don't stay up that late any more. Sat down at the computer to check email before going  to bed around midnight, and realized it was scheduled for launch at 12:04 or something like that. Scrambled to find something on line and found a NASA link. Definitely not what it was like with Jules Bergmann !! Saw that they were in a hold, heard a little radio chatter, then they resumed countdown at T-10:00. I watched the launch, and followed it until SRB separation, then until MECO. Yawning too much at that point to keep up with it!  The feed I was watching had no live camera after SRB SEP, like I'm kind of used to seeing, and what they did have was really distant. If I'm remembering Shuttle launches, we could see something right up until MECO on camera. I never got a chance to see a live Saturn V or Shuttle launch, and Artemis looks to be on par with those, so I hope I get a chance to go and see one in person.

I thought I heard the commentator mention that the main engines were left over Shuttle engines, and Brett, you allude to that also. I watched them gimble the nozzles just before ignition and noticed the boots or covers they have around them where they pivot. What is the purpose of that? I don't recall seeing those on the Shuttle or the Saturn engines?  Simply just to help keep debris out? That would be my first guess.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 11:21:32 AM »

I thought I heard the commentator mention that the main engines were left over Shuttle engines, and Brett, you allude to that also. I watched them gimble the nozzles just before ignition and noticed the boots or covers they have around them where they pivot. What is the purpose of that? I don't recall seeing those on the Shuttle or the Saturn engines?  Simply just to help keep debris out? That would be my first guess.

The main engines in the core stage are previously-flown shuttle engines. Also, the service module (SM) engine is a previously-flown shuttle OMS engine (the ones in the pods near the rudder) and the associated gimbal assembly. The engine is OK although really large for such a dinky vehicle, and was originally based on the Apollo SM engine intended to lift the entire Apollo CSM off the surface of the moon. The gimbal control was fine for the gigantic shuttle but the deadbands and minimum motion is much larger than you would want for the  Orion CM with the tiny little ESA ATV service module. You can work around it, obviously.

The bellows around the engine are there to keep out debris and to protect the moving parts of the engine and wiring from radiant heat from the engine. There is something like it on the Saturn 1B, I would have to go dig around for a flight-prepped Saturn V and see. Most of the pictures you see the Saturn V on the ground, it is missing the engine skirt and the insulation that they wrapped all around it after final checkout.

Brett

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 01:45:51 PM »
AMA 13001

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 06:31:32 AM »

The bellows around the engine are there to keep out debris and to protect the moving parts of the engine and wiring from radiant heat from the engine. There is something like it on the Saturn 1B, I would have to go dig around for a flight-prepped Saturn V and see. Most of the pictures you see the Saturn V on the ground, it is missing the engine skirt and the insulation that they wrapped all around it after final checkout.

Brett
I don't know if there is a way to see if there is a bellows on a flight configured Saturn V.  The insulation batting on the engine looks like it continues right up into the heat shielding, so any sealing or bellows is behind the shield.
Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here