News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:04:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: another one bites the dust  (Read 1828 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
another one bites the dust
« on: August 06, 2006, 05:56:33 PM »

I've had a heck of a flying weekend.

On Saturday I had two midair collisions flying Bi-Slob combat. The first with John Paris. I was inverted flying low and he was upright flying low. Our planes bounced off each other on the top wings. We both remained airborne and sustained no damage.

The second midair was with Dwight Fletcher. We were in close and low I thought I was clear of his Bi-Slob but he flew it right into my path. Me Slob chewed up his out board wing. We both crashed. His upper wing flap and part of the outbard wing were toast. My Slob got by with just the rudder being knocked off. I got it all on video. Here is a picture of Dwight with his busted slob.
Frank Carlisle

Offline the original Steve Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Fly Stunt!
Re: another one bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 06:05:03 PM »
Ok Frank, where's the video?  I gotta see this!  y1
Thanks,
the original Steve Smith
AMA 2112

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 06:16:34 PM »
Today (SUNDAY) we flew at the Radio Control Club of Detroit circle.
I built a Sig Super Chipmonk in 2000, and didn't like the plane. It sat around for years. Till this past winter when I gave it to Willie McMath. Well today he brought it out and told me to fly it. I DID. The bellcrank floor gave out and I crashed it.

After years of seeing monocote and styrofoam planes bonk into the ground this crash while a terrific loss was resouningly satisfying. The finish is dope and tissue and I've never been one to do a lot of re-enforcing so when this puppy hit the ground it exploded into many pieces that showered down like confetti. The impact gave a loud crack of fractured wood joints which is much, much better than the muffled thunk of monocoted planes.

Overall it was a great weekend to fly.
Frank Carlisle

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 08:02:57 PM »
Gee Frank, only 3 pieces.  Won't take too long to stick that one back together.  Sorry to see it go.  Mechanical failures are the worst.
John Paris

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »
Sounds like a blast! **)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 06:43:18 AM »
So let me get this straight Frank, you crashed a plane that you built, owned by someone else now, and enjoyed the satisfying crunching sound of balsa being splinted slowly in mid air and hitting the ground? I dont know what to make of that.  ???  I guess when I nosed my foam wing cardinal into the dirt at 60mph, and only suffered a broken spinner, you wanted more. And when I crashed my foam wing cardinal into the ground again ,and only broke the spinner and prop, you wanted more. Too bad you wer'nt there when I stuffed the foam wing cardinal into the ground inverted and splattered the fues over 1/4 circle, it was a neat sight. too bad it flew again within 30min, you would have been disappointed  **)

If you crashed a plane you gave me, I would want my money back  ;D

It was a good weekend for it, glad you got fly again Sunday. I sanded an airplane. 8)

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 06:59:35 AM »
yes Greg--there is a great and wonderful series if sights and sounds when an all balsa stunter augers itself into the turf. Kinda reminds me of those glorious days of yesteryear when the only use for styrofoam was carry out coffee cups and peanut packing material.
The foamies and monocoted planes just don't deliver.

I outrite gave that plane to Willie no cash or trade involved. And I really am sorry it got busted, but shoot man, it happens from time to time.

Frank Carlisle

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 01:33:50 PM »
Well, at least the plane satisfied your need for a good cruching. wish I had been there to see it. I would have liked to help you jump on the remains. ;D

happy cruching

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:46:39 AM »
Frank--you have the makings of a top combat flier hiding in you!

for real excitement get some one to fly a slow combat or stunter in level flight and you can take a fast combat and from a wingover bell crank the other--then you can run out and dance in the confetti!
this hapened with 2 friends of mine i was just watching
VERRY SATISFING!!!

David

remember--only fly in the upper hemisphere!
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here