News:

• May 04, 2024, 08:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ever Notice?  (Read 863 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ever Notice?
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:23:34 AM »
Smell is SUCH an strong memory activator. Last week I was mowing and it was one of those sultry dry days I love. Now my lawn is really nothing more then short weeds and over the 3 acres there are different ones. Suddenly a smell hit me and immediately it was 1961 again and I remembered the anticipation of the day. Dad would always leave my brother and I directives for things that were to be done when he got home, many times it was to cut the "grass". Oh man how I hated that, we had about an acre and a half and all we had was a rotary mower. I remember smelling that smell and a little stale gasoline smell anticipating the last cut at which point I could put the mower away, grab my model and flight box and head to the school yard and fly.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:49:56 AM by Randy Ryan »
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ever Notice?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:10:06 AM »
My memory was when I would get the hay field cut for Dad.   Then it was wait until it was raked and bailed.  Once it was in the barn the field was mine so I could fly the old T-Square.   Dad loved watching that plane for some reason.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:31:49 PM »
Thats what happens at the R/C field when I fly my Fox 35's with lots of castor. They come over just to smell the exhaust and remember the old days for many of them. Nothing like a good shot of castor to get you going. LOL
Jim Kraft

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »
Exactly so Randy, I was asleep in my recliner late one night while the wife and kids were watching a rental movie. They decided to nuke some cheese popcorn, and I was back in vietnam smelling some dead viet cong bodies noone would claim, so we had set them afire because they were rotting and causing an inconvenient smell. The popcorn triggered the nightmare, and I awoke in an adrenaline rush, freaking out.  :X My wife chewed me out and told me to go to bed...on my way down the hall I shot back: "Dont ever cook that popcorn again while I'm sleeping!" ROFLMBO
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
Exactly so Randy, I was asleep in my recliner late one night while the wife and kids were watching a rental movie. They decided to nuke some cheese popcorn, and I was back in vietnam smelling some dead viet cong bodies noone would claim, so we had set them afire because they were rotting and causing an inconvenient smell. The popcorn triggered the nightmare, and I awoke in an adrenaline rush, freaking out.  :X My wife chewed me out and told me to go to bed...on my way down the hall I shot back: "Dont ever cook that popcorn again while I'm sleeping!" ROFLMBO

Interesting John, I also have strong memories jarred by the smell of the soap isle in any supermarket, it takes me back to installing telephones in a mortuary lab, I won't go into details there.

Oh yes, and Honeysuckle perfume, back seat, 60 Olds, etc etc.....
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here