News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:42:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: American Youth State Championships "AYSC"  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Louis Rankin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
American Youth State Championships "AYSC"
« on: March 18, 2006, 11:33:35 AM »
In a post on another forum, Bob Reeves Asked:

So anyone know what "AYSC" was all about?

Tperry answered:

American Youth State Championships was a project conceived and promoted by the Hobby Industry Association of America (HIAA).  The Idea was to send one junior flyer from each state to the NATS each year.  The trip was all expense paid including air fare. The lucky winner from each state was decked out in clothing advertising the HIAA and AYSC.  This took place in the late 50s 1958 or 59 I think. Others will correct me if I am wrong.

My point:

Would a project like the AYSC be something that would be beneficial today?  We need youth to survive don't we?  Maybe not by each state, but certainly each district.  I would donate to such an organization!

Would not have to be limited to Aerobatics.  Combat, speed,  and carrier could benifit also.

Waiting for everyone's brainstorming ideas.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: American Youth State Championships "AYSC"
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »
I think the problem you're going to run into is that the youth of today aren't interested in something like this.  They'd rather sit at home and watch one of the 100+ channels on TV, or play one of the hundreds of video games, or go play soccer or some other organized sport that is pushed at school and by the parents.  Most of the parents aren't even mechanically inclined in such a way that they could fly C/L and if they had an interest the local hobby shop would steer them towards a ready to fly R/C project. 

I'd really like to see more youth involved.  I'm 28 and when I go to a contest I don't see anyone in my age bracket.  When I tell friends what I'm working on, I get blank stares or the subject gets changed... They can't relate.  They have no frame of reference.  The problem is bigger then it seems from the surface. 

I've been thinking about this a lot, and don't have any answers, only views on the problem. 

Offline old fart

• ACE
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 02:51:03 PM »
ANDY  AS MUCH I AM SORRY TO SAY ,YOU ARE RIGHT ,THERE IS NO INTERREST  TO BE FOUND HERE,AS A CLUB [GSCB] HAVE TRIED AND HAVE GOTTEN  ,NOT MUCH INTEREST FROM YOUTH  GROUPS OR THE PARANTS. ???? :( >:(
RON SMITH

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 03:13:30 PM »
To both of you, if we don't get off our duff and get out and fly, how are the youth going to find out about us?  This is where electric and arf's are going to hit the spot.  No noise, so how can they complain?  Now the complaint will be kids are having too much fun.  --DOC Holliday

PS:If you say ARF's and Electric are not welcome them go put your head back in the sand.     John E. " DOC " Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 03:40:17 PM »
Yes, I know there is a lack of youthful interest; however, if we do not devise a way to get their attention, the control line sport will fade away.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 06:26:49 PM »
I believe that the interest is derived from and including the pretty airplanes we build. I have been out to Budder park flying and I have people ask me where to buy such a plane. My reply is always you have to make them! It starts off a long conversation on how I did this or that. The youth today need intellectual stimulant,what more could be stimulating than creating something with your own hands? The problem is two fold COST and where to start? I always help on the where to start part. If a kid really is interested he will mow lawns like I did to buy the engines or wood. Unless their dad owns a hobby shop like mine did later. Heck my flying got my dad so excited in it thats when he opened the hobby shop moved out of the master bedroom and let me move in there for my work shop. Eventually moving into a entire 2 car garage. I would say thats enthusiasm!

Where  do you guys think the next aeronautical engineers are going to come from? We as a whole must plant the seed for the young to take over. Your kids, your neighbors kids or the boy scouts cub scouts or maybe just go to a school and talk to a teacher or principle. Whatever it may be if we give it to them it will be worth nothing and lost in the shuffle!

Everyone just think about it.
AMA 12366

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 11:23:46 PM »
Where  do you guys think the next aeronautical engineers are going to come from?

India. ;)

Seriously I'm open to suggestion.  Getting out and flying isn't a very good suggestion though, cause to be honest its too farkin' cold here to get out and fly until about April.  Even then most of the fields I can use are swamp till the melted snow runs off.  Shortly after that I've got organized sports and the related athletes that want to use the fields I'm intruding on. 

Money isn't the problem.  Kids today have enough money they can buy all kinds of garbage they don't need.  Parents are more then happy to give them money to persue their interests.  There are a lot of problems with C/L and getting people interested, but money isn't one of them.

It requires some skill, dedication, time.  We live in a world where people want instant gratification.  Even an ARF requires skill to get the subassemblies aligned properly, and then to get the engine to operate effectively, etc.  You'll notice the vast majority of easily obtained (ie top flite) ARF's aren't geared to beginners.  A good example is the new ARF they're releasing, another PA model, not a trainer.  C/L is not point and click, there is no instant gratification.

If a kid doesn't have someone there to encourage them and keep them interested, they aren't going to stick with this very long.  Even if you have a trainer with you at the field, and you put Jr, the curious watcher behind the handle and show em first hand how much fun it is, they probably aren't going to go out and get the stuff they need and go try it on their own.  You would have to get the parent interested enough to positively reinforce the child.  If the parent isn't interested, then what?  Are you going to call the kid on a regular basis and offer assistence?  In our current society I don't see that going over well.  Even if you put all the equipment in the hands of someone who seems interested on the surface, chances are they won't get involved.

There aren't many places a person can fly C/L.  It requires space, tolerance of noise at volume, a smooth landing surface, etc...  If you've got the luxury of a dedicated flying site, and you haven't been run off by soccer players, then you truly have it good.  Just trying to find a flying site can be an exercise in futility.  Just try calling a school, parks department, etc and inquire if they would mind if you used their land for the pursuit of your hobby.  Be sure to mention noise, safety thongs, etc... It still won't matter, its a safe bet the answer is NO. 

The engines and airplanes and most of the hardware involved, are by their very nature difficult to master.   The most user friendly and forgiving engine that is readily available and affordable still has to have the proper fuel, proper voltage at the plug, etc to start and run.  They're all prone to flooding.  If the needles aren't set properly they don't perform as they should, etc.  It's not an exact science, and its not easily learned.

By far the number one problem is competition.  There are only about 30 OTHER things a kid can do that do provide instant gratification, that are more glamorous, more popularly accepted, etc.  Take into account just organized sports, and you'll see kids getting hauled all over, and money being dumped into a temporary distraction.  Then there's TV, video games, cub scouts/boy scouts, girls, cars, skate boards, etc... Even if they do get into a hobby shop, there's model rockets, plastic models, R/C cars, R/C planes, etc etc etc In the current market place almost all of these things are more supported and competitively priced.   Just try walking into a Hobby Town USA in a distant town while you're on vacation and ask about something C/L related.  I guarentee you'll get a blank stare or maybe someone will fumble through a catalog till you see what you need on the page.  Then if you order it, it takes a month to get it. 

I don't mean to get off on a negative rant, but seriously there is a lot stacked against C/L and at this point in the game, I'm afraid we've already lost.  The average C/L enthusiast is how old?  45 or older?  And where are their kids?  Not flying.  Not building.   If the people who enjoy this stuff now weren't able to pass it on to their own offspring, how can anyone hope to pass it on to random strangers kids? 

From what I've seen, I don't expect C/L to last much longer.  The current group is aging fast and no new blood is coming in.  Unless several things change and quickly C/L will be extinct.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 11:36:41 PM »
Forgot to mention, didn't Cox have some ready to fly planes that were electric?  Even with flashy box art I can't say as though I've ever seen one attempting to fly. 

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 05:37:23 PM »
Our new club of about 10 members also have half a dozen active youth members. Yes there is a lot of things competing for there time, but you will find that when the weather is good they will call and ask if you are heading to the field, or like last weekend one of them wanted to come over and work on his knew plane. It was raining all weekend.  Any number of kids is good. You don't need 1000s of them at once. A few here and there. in 97 I was asked to be the Scout Master of a new troop. It was started with just three boys, when I had a career change and had to move in 2002 the troop was up to 40, and all I had to do for campouts and meetings was show up and observe as the boys ran evertything themselves.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »
Right now I would say the perfect trainer is the ARF Flying Clown by Brodak.  Powered with any 15 size motor and low pitch prop.  Small fuel tank to limit no more than 25 laps.  Use .012 cable 52 feet long.  Have not looked but there ought to be some low cost Easy-Just type handles out there.   Just takes some of our time.  I do not recommend the Flite Streak Trainer any more after trying to teach some half dozen youngsters and a couple of adults on it.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 11:07:12 PM »
The absolute best trainer available is the Ukie that Jim Pearson produces.  They are durable and easy to fly.  He makes a 25 and a 35 size.   The control horn has a very wide adjustment that can take you from training to learning the pattern.

I always take one with me when I fly.  You never know when someone may be interested and you will have an opportunity to convert.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here