News:

• April 18, 2024, 03:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMA License  (Read 1062 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AMA License
« on: November 12, 2021, 04:37:35 PM »
I am sitting here now wondering if I should renew my license or not.   I have not missed a year since 1956 when I had to sign up for the contest so I could fly my Guillows Rat Racer with McCoy Red Head .35.  Back then or at least contest required a 25 lap minimum flight to make sure was worthy.   I lost a wheel and was DQ"d.  That was okay with me as then Mom, Dad and myself could spectate.  Dad really enjoyed the combat especially when several of the guys had to put a plane together so the contestant could fly the next round.  Back then could borrow planes and you had to fly.  That was my first contest at the Stanley KS airport.  great day until some how a real plane caught fire and burned to the ground.  Volunteer fire department thought it was a model plane. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: AMA License
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 05:59:22 PM »
John,
It seems that its worth having the AMA insurance if you are going to fly at public flying fields or any contest work even for hand launch gliders. Having the AMA license gives you options for anything you want to fly now or in the future. Gives you chooses. I don't take the hard copy of the magazine just sign-up for the senior membership. I do the two year deal. Just my thoughts.

Best,    DennisT

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »
AMA Charter Clubs I support with membership, require current AMA License.
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 11:27:06 AM »
Why do we consider the AMA Membership card to be a License? At one time, long ago, ASIR, it described itself as a license. Check over your expired cards - if you still have them. The membership card allows entry to AMA sanctioned contests, and it provides coverage for certain other purposes. Local officials sometimes accept that insurance and "assurance" that we will comply with AMA's safety and other guidance in considering whether to allow our activities on public property.

IMHO granting licenses should include some form of qualifying or testing. We've never had that for AMA Licenses or merely Membership cards.

BTW, not knocking AMA over this, it's just a semantic quirk...
\BEST\LOU

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 12:30:56 PM »
Good point, may not be a license, it is an agreement though. Back of letter membership card is attached, informs, ACADEMY OF MODEL AERONAUTICS NATIONAL MODEL AIRCRAFT SAFETY CODE states, As an AMA member I agree: to 10 “I wills”. Then there is the KNOW before you FLY campaign.
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 09:08:37 AM »
Okay guys the card has been renewed for one year.  Less than 5 minuies and it is on jts way.  D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here