News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster Day???  (Read 3650 times)

Offline GEOFFREY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Northwest Fireballs
Ringmaster Day???
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
Has anyone  heard if there is a Brotherhood  Ringmaster fly date or  has that wilted away . ??? %^@ R%%%%
GEOFFREY L CHRISTIANSON  AMA 824607             DELTA PARK Portland Or.

larry borden

Re: Ringmaster Day???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »
We had the Roundup in May in Houston and the Flyathon is scheduled for the first week end in October.
www.brotherhoodofthering.info

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »
Like Brother Larry said, the Fly-a-thon is the next big event on the Ringmaster calendar.  Get any Ringmaster (but especially the S-1) and fly as many flights as you can get in over the weekend!  Over 1500 last year from around the World.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »
I built an S-1 just for this event (last year I started late and had to settle for a Beginner Ringmaster).  Maybe it'll even last through summer.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »
Amen to Brothers Larry, Bill and Tim,

The Fly-A-Thon is on for October 6th and 7th with report data due by the 9th!!

1505 Flights last year and the goal this year is to have over 2000 flights!!!

I will attach Files for the flyer for 2012 Fly-A-Thon which pretty much explains it all. The rules are kind of flexible in what you call a flight. For a newcomer to control line a takeoff and landing is good enough (even if you have to scrape the plane back off ground).  ;D

We really want to celebrate control line flying and encourage new fliers. Many young RC pilots have no idea about the fun they can have by learning to fly control line. If you can get your RC club to set up a part of your field for a circle and have some Ringmasters available, you can encourage new pilots to join us. In any case get your hands on a Ringmaster and put up some flights. Don't forget to email in your report by the deadline.

I have six electric powered Ringmasters plus another on the building board. There is also a stinky S-1 IC (Fox 35 Stunt of course) Ringmaster sitting in a corner which I will resurrect for the Fly-A-Thon. You can bet I will have my share of flights.  y1

Download one of the attached files and spread the word about the 5th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon!!!

Brother John (Alias: "ElectroBro")
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
What are the rules defining 'a flight'?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
What are the rules defining 'a flight'?

The model must break ground and "fly".  ANY landing controlled or not. ;D

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
How many seconds, how many lap qualify as a flight?

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
Goeff,

We purposely did not make a set of rigid rules for what constitutes a flight. This is a fun event and if you want fly short tanks to rack up your numbers go ahead and do it. For myself I don't feel like I have made a flight unless it is a couple of minutes in the air but that is just for me. Many will want to fly a full pattern and some of your may want to get in two flights at once by flying Ringmaster combat.

There is a friendly form of combat called Pursuit Combat where one pilot flies straight and level and the other pilot tries to make cuts on his streamer. The slower plane is the drone and the faster is the pursuit plane. If streamers are attached to both planes the faster flier can fly level over the drone and let him try to cut his streamer too. This is a team event and each combat team tries to make as many cuts as possible for a team score. This event is not quite as destructive of models as a regular combat match and does not require the flying skills of a full fledged combat event.

I guess I am rambling but the bottom line is a flight is whatever you feel comfortable calling a flight.  y1
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »
Goeff,

We purposely did not make a set of rigid rules for what constitutes a flight. This is a fun event and if you want fly short tanks to rack up your numbers go ahead and do it. For myself I don't feel like I have made a flight unless it is a couple of minutes in the air but that is just for me. Many will want to fly a full pattern and some of your may want to get in two flights at once by flying Ringmaster combat.

There is a friendly form of combat called Pursuit Combat where one pilot flies straight and level and the other pilot tries to make cuts on his streamer. The slower plane is the drone and the faster is the pursuit plane. If streamers are attached to both planes the faster flier can fly level over the drone and let him try to cut his streamer too. This is a team event and each combat team tries to make as many cuts as possible for a team score. This event is not quite as destructive of models as a regular combat match and does not require the flying skills of a full fledged combat event.

I guess I am rambling but the bottom line is a flight is whatever you feel comfortable calling a flight.  y1

Hi Brother John,

Sorta like I said, taking off and then landing in some fashion.  Hopefully on the wheels in one piece! LL~ LL~ LL~

I am hoping to fly my old Ringmaster with the Veco .35 that sticks out the wrong way (like a K&B Green Head)...... I haven't flown it in about 15 years, but it checks out in good shape, pull test and all....

Still have to get one ready for Aaron, and maybe one for his 7 year old son!  (probably a Jr. for him!)

Heck, if things go well, I might have a Ringmaster 576 in the air along with a S-1 "Lite"!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:17:06 PM »
How many seconds, how many lap qualify as a flight?

AS many seconds that you can keep it in the air, or until the fuel runs out or the battery runs down.  Whichever comes first!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »
Dang :( :( :(
That's the first weekend of moose hunting up here in Quebec. I have a big bull moose just waiting for my 7mm.  :'( :'(
-Daniel

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 07:59:41 PM »
Dang :( :( :(
That's the first weekend of moose hunting up here in Quebec. I have a big bull moose just waiting for my 7mm.  :'( :'(
-Daniel

Well shoot him on Saturday and fly your Ringmaster on Sunday!!  y1  #^
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
I used my flight to practice the Old Time Stunt pattern.   Are wheels really required, as I know some that are hand launched over grass. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:42:06 PM »
Our Club hosted a fly a thon last year and had a blast. Gonna do it again this year if anyone wants to come over. And John had a blast flying that "combat" with ya a couple weeks ago.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »
I should have mine ready in two weeks..................... #^
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »
I used my flight to practice the Old Time Stunt pattern.   Are wheels really required, as I know some that are hand launched over grass. H^^

No Doc,  Wheels are optional.

For the Fly-A-Thon, if it is mostly a Ringmaster it is a Ringmaster!! There are many variations of the Ringmaster. I have a Ringmaster 150 and a short kit for a Ringmaster 526, Larry Borden (and others) have Ringmaster 1000s (1000 sq inch wing area) and Bill Gruby has a number of other variations. All count a Ringmasters for the Fly-A-Thon.  y1

If you are a purest, then fly an S-1 (the original Matt Kania Ringmaster design) but if yours is a Baby Ringmaster or a Super Ringmaster or whatever, get out and fly it/them.

It is all for fun and to promote control line model aviation!!  #^
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
Everyone,
We will have at least 4 pilots in Korea this year (me/John Paris, my son Michael, Mr. Yeongil Jang and his son Jiwon)and I will work on getting more.  Just started putting my wing together for an S-1 but there is already another S-1 and a Jr. Ringmaster flying by Mr. Jang and his son in the greater Incheon area.  I am pretty sure that there are a few guys down near Daegu that have Ringmasters as well.  Just need to link up with them and decide where we will fly on that first weekend in October.  BTW, the Ringmasters in this area were built after hearing about the international Ringmaster flying weekend.
John
John Paris

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 07:15:12 AM »
AS many seconds that you can keep it in the air, or until the fuel runs out or the battery runs down.  Whichever comes first!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

To be honest about it, in 2008, we got a Ringmaster in the, passed the handle among five pilots and called it five flights.  In the interest of honesty, you are welcoeme to amend the record.
Paul Smith

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 08:28:02 AM »
No Doc,  Wheels are optional.

For the Fly-A-Thon, if it is mostly a Ringmaster it is a Ringmaster!! There are many variations of the Ringmaster. I have a Ringmaster 150 and a short kit for a Ringmaster 526, Larry Borden (and others) have Ringmaster 1000s (1000 sq inch wing area) and Bill Gruby has a number of other variations. All count a Ringmasters for the Fly-A-Thon.  y1

If you are a purest, then fly an S-1 (the original Matt Kania Ringmaster design) but if yours is a Baby Ringmaster or a Super Ringmaster or whatever, get out and fly it/them.

It is all for fun and to promote control line model aviation!!  #^
I had thought an S1 was required.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 10:34:52 AM »
Brotherhood of the Ring Rules are auto-correcting. If you do something different from the rule, that then becomes the rule. The Brotherhood is politically correct, being also a Sisterhood.

By-laws are very specific....you have to have either built a Ringmaster, or flown one, owned one, or seen one, or perhaps dreamed of one. Or you may have read about one, or knew someone who did....

One noted flyer who publically eschewed the venerable Matt Kania design found an aged but well-executed  Ringmaster in the gutter as he drove to church, which he picked up and donated to a charitable cause. Bingo! He's in!  I cannot bring myself to conclude that's happenstance, can you?  :)

Having met this criteria, you become as one with the Brotherhood, with a little luck, you may be allowed to become a member of the "inner circle", allowed to flaunt your esteemed station in life as demonstrated by the secret handshake.

dg

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 01:43:33 PM »
or  has that wilted away . ??? %^@ R%%%%
Lots of things wilt away, but not the flight of the Phoenix ....er, um, cough sputter...I mean Ringmaster! ROFLMBO
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »
I was going to ask if I can design my own Ringmaster, like some others do, or are they special?  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »
I was going to ask if I can design my own Ringmaster, like some others do, or are they special?  S?P Steve

Steve,

Sure you can do your own Ringmaster thing but it needs to have the Ringmaster general configuration especially the tail feathers which are pretty distinctive. Below is a photo of a stagger/gull wing Ringmaster biplane designed by Larry Marx. There was never anything like this in the Ringmaster line of kits but we still recognize it as a Ringmaster variant.

Post some photos of what you come up with --- others may want to build one too.

You and all the other Stunt Hanger members need to join the Brotherhood of the Ring where you can trade all kinds of ideas about Ringmasters. Go to:

John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
I just put the first coat of color on my new one! I have a S1A ready to go...

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
Everyone,
We will have at least 4 pilots in Korea this year (me/John Paris, my son Michael, Mr. Yeongil Jang and his son Jiwon)and I will work on getting more.  Just started putting my wing together for an S-1 but there is already another S-1 and a Jr. Ringmaster flying by Mr. Jang and his son in the greater Incheon area.  I am pretty sure that there are a few guys down near Daegu that have Ringmasters as well.  Just need to link up with them and decide where we will fly on that first weekend in October.  BTW, the Ringmasters in this area were built after hearing about the international Ringmaster flying weekend.
John

Wow John,

It is great to hear that Korea will be represented in this year's Fly-A-Thon!!!  #^

Now if we could just get some more Asian countries to join us as well, that would be even greater!!!  S?P

Welcome aboard and we hope you have as much fun flying this event as we do!!!  y1
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »
Steve,

Sure you can do your own Ringmaster thing but it needs to have the Ringmaster general configuration especially the tail feathers which are pretty distinctive. Below is a photo of a stagger/gull wing Ringmaster biplane designed by Larry Marx. There was never anything like this in the Ringmaster line of kits but we still recognize it as a Ringmaster variant.

Post some photos of what you come up with --- others may want to build one too.

You and all the other Stunt Hanger members need to join the Brotherhood of the Ring where you can trade all kinds of ideas about Ringmasters. Go to:

If this was a kit I would buy it.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 07:56:56 AM »
Wow John,

It is great to hear that Korea will be represented in this year's Fly-A-Thon!!!  #^

Now if we could just get some more Asian countries to join us as well, that would be even greater!!!  S?P

Welcome aboard and we hope you have as much fun flying this event as we do!!!  y1

John,
I participated for a few years after I built my S-1 back in 2007, but I sold it a couple of years back.  Why?  Not really sure as it was a great fun fly airplane.  Guess there were just too many in the hangar.  In any case I was speaking with one of the guys here about the worldwide Ringmaster weekend after he had built his son a Jr. Ring and he asked if I had plans.  So when I was home over Christmas, I grabbed my plans and brought them back.  About a month later he had a Ringmaster for himself and a "kit" for me and said he would be ready for this year and hoped that I would be as well.  Should be a good time and I am working to get mine done and trimmed in plenty of time.
So far I have not had a chance to link up with any other flyers in China or Japan (met Kaz some time ago, but have not spoken with him for a while) so will not be much help for other countries in the region.  Will keep my eyes open as I travel around though.
John
John Paris

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »
I was told that my Bassmaster didn't qualify. The only thing ringmaster was the S1 wing.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
Well, We like to see those distinctive Ringmaster tail feathers before we feel it IS a Ringmaster.  y1 n1
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »
I just checked and between this thread and another which has the flyer files, there have been 153 downloads of the files!!!! That is great and is way more than I expected. Looks like we will have a great chance to blow away last year's record as well as to exceed this year's goal of 2000 flights.

Thanks to all that plan to participate --- be sure an have those Ringmasters ready to go that 1st weekend in October!!!

You are again demonstrating what a great bunch of people love to fly control line!!!!!
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here