News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:16:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Allow me to introduce myself  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Windwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Allow me to introduce myself
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:42:14 PM »
Hey guys.
I'd like to take this oportunity to introduce myself. My name is Nick Gans and I live in Beaumont, Texas. I'm 63 years old and I've been in love with model airplanes for as long as I can remember. I bought my first C/L model from Don Still in 1957. I still have the Fox 15 that powered that model. My son learned to fly C/L with that engine and now it powers my grandson's Sig Acromaster. My newest model is a Ringmaster circa 2003 that my oldest grandson flies when he's not pitching for his Little League baseball team. I visit Don quite often and we relive the "yesteryears" all the time.

Starting back in the early 70s, I flew stunt for many years in the local contest circuits until vertigo took away my ability to walk in a circle. In 1981 I built a 720 sq. in. stunt model I call Windwalker using a foam wing supplied by Bob Hunt and powered by an O.S. Max 45 built by George himself. I still have that model today. Although it has a mild case of "hanger rash", it still flies very well.

Well, enough about me. I've lurked on this site for a while and I must say, it's a nice place. I've been away from the competition side of the hobby for a long time and I'm amazed at the number of people "from my time" who are still heavily involved in the hobby of C/L flying.

Nick Gans
aka Windwalker

Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
Re: Allow me to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 11:21:42 PM »
Welcome to the site. As you have no doubt already figured out this is a great  site with great people. There is a vast store of knowledge and they are willing to share it. I have a friend who also has a problem with maintaining his balance while flying. He has his own flying site and he installed a post at the center of the circle. He holds on to it when flying. The post is not heavy enough to really support him, but he says it does steady him. Possibly a portable post might help you.

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:00:37 PM »
Great idea Keith.. I actually never thought about something like that.. My Windwalker is 25 years old and on the chubby side. It really pulls hard on the lines in the square corners. Line tension like you wouldn't believe.  I'd need a sturdy post but I bet it would work..

Thanks for the welcome AND the advice..

Nick
aka Windwalker
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
There is a guy who flies with the Lansing Flying Aces who has a nifty chair set up so that he can fly. I assume he has an issue with vertigo. I saw him use it during a fun fly event and it worked great. I think they have drawings for it on their club website.
http://www.flyingaces.us/

Leroy

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 01:12:50 PM »
Welcome to the site. As you have no doubt already figured out this is a great  site with great people. There is a vast store of knowledge and they are willing to share it. I have a friend who also has a problem with maintaining his balance while flying. He has his own flying site and he installed a post at the center of the circle. He holds on to it when flying. The post is not heavy enough to really support him, but he says it does steady him. Possibly a portable post might help you.
--------------------------------:)------------------------------------------------------
I just bought a "like new swivel-chair with wheeeeeeels" from Boeings Surplus store for $6.00!!!
Hey Leo Mel...if you are lurking, do you remember when Tim Dunlop's son Vance...saw an old desk chair with wheels attached at the Portland Oregon's Delta Park flying site and took it out to the center of the circle, sat down...while I fired up his old Fox 35 and he flew almost the full pattern before he fell over backwards out of that chair..doing the overhead 8 and only because of a kids fast reflexes...HE SAVED THAT LITTLE STUNT MODEL by doing an improto tuck n' roll...
If I remember correctly that pretty little model that Vance flew...was designed by Lew McFarland that Vance built and took to the 68 nats in Olatha. **)
See the kind of OL'STUNT-GRUNT COOTS that dwell on this board.
Hey...why not stick a photo of you and Don under the scanner and pay it forward to us..
(Shultz, the don afta one.)
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 12:53:26 AM »
Nick;

Wher did you go, you posted this introduction and now your gone????????

Welcome aboard anyway.

Bill Gruby
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 07:29:15 PM »
Sorry guys... I didn't mean to run out on you.. School's out all this week for the holidays and the grandkids have been staying with us.. Riding bikes, baseball lessons, electric trains and slot cars all take presidence over posting on the internet.. You grandfatherly types know exactly what I mean...  #^

Nick  aka
Windwalker
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 06:54:28 AM »
Nick;

I know exactly what you mean, Had all seven grandkids for two days.

Welcome back.

Bill Gruby
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 02:20:04 PM »
HI Nick,

Welcome!  Sorry ity took so long for me to post to your thread.  Been crazy around here since last Friday

Happy to see you here, and jump right in!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here