News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: All in clover...  (Read 885 times)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
All in clover...
« on: September 14, 2021, 04:09:33 PM »
As many of you may know, there was a rule proposal voted on by the CLACB to change the entry point of the Four Leaf Clover; and that proposal passed. It will be in effect as of January 1 2022. I'm posting here what I wrote on the Rules Discussion board here on Stunt Hangar about this rule change because I believe it is significant enough to be read by all who fly the CL Stunt event competitively, and some of those people may not read the Rules Discussion board regularly. So, here's what I posted there...

This is great news!  y1

Not only does the new Four Leaf rule make the maneuver symmetrical (four partial loops or arcs versus one complete loop and four partials that we currently do), but it also clearly defines the intersection. The way we are currently flying that maneuver, the intersection point is set by the far left edge (for counterclockwise fliers) of the entry loop. Not really a clear definition... With the new entry the pilot (and the judges) will have a very defined entry path that also defines the intersection point. And, by the way, the maneuver just looks way better with the four same-sized and shaped loops or arcs. There never was a reason for the one odd loop; George just designed it that way in 1957. Had he designed it as we will be doing it next year - and from now on... - we wouldn't even question it. There are those who are adamantly against this change, but they can't give you a logical reason why they are against it. Try it, you'll like it!

Bob Hunt

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: All in clover...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 04:16:18 PM »
Had he designed it as we will be doing it next year - and from now on... - we wouldn't even question it. There are those who are adamantly against this change, but they can't give you a logical reason why they are against it. Try it, you'll like it!

I went from not caring very much to mildly favorable. It's hard to see why there would be strong opposition, it seems to be an almost nothing type change.

Brett

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 04:27:59 PM »
I enjoy flying the new version better.  The defined centerline climb makes for an easier reference for me.

I happened to fly it over and over and over last Saturday.   A big family decided to walk over play frisbee right on the edge of the circle just after the take off.  To stay completely away from them, I just flew the new clover in repeat without coming back over the top.  I guess it was good that they were directly upwind. Some days you just have to roll your eyes and then roll up the lines. ::)
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 04:30:39 PM »
So what, exactly, is the change?  Bob, your post said everything except how to do the new version.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 04:35:46 PM »
   I had read the other thread about it in the rules section, and finally remembered to try it the last time I went flying. I like it and I think most will also. As stated already, it gives me an established reference that I could not really get the old way even after flying for all these years.  I think most pilots will see their average clover scores go up a little bit once they get used to it. Just gonna take a bit of focus and some practice.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 04:39:55 PM »
So what, exactly, is the change?  Bob, your post said everything except how to do the new version.

Gary

Go over to the rules discussion section and read all about it. Lots of discussion there. The basic version is you enter from level flight and climb vertical through what will be the intersection to the first inside loop, and then continue on from there. Much more detailed discussion and description there.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here