News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alameda CA circle repaved  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Alameda CA circle repaved
« on: November 08, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
Attention NorCal flyers: Bless their hearts, the City of Alameda has fully re-paved our flying circle after 30 years of no maintenance! Our local club the Aeronuts has been lobbying the City for about two years to repave or at least repair the circle, laid down over 30 years ago. This is a City of Alameda park, exclusively for control-line model flying, known as the Bill Osborne Model Airplane Field (check web site by that name). We would have been happy with  a seal coat to repair the cracks and holes - but the City, true to its word, put down a roadway-quality four inch thick new surface, and roll-finished it to perfection. Then they filled the inner and outer perimeter with earth and rock flush to the surface of the runway and graded it down to the grass surface. Result is a beautiful, smooth, safe flying field that anyone can bring a 20-point model to without fear of damage to the model (unlike the last 10 years). This should be good news to a lot of flyers in the Greater Bay Area who presently have no safe, convenient place other than Napa.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Alameda CA circle repaved
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »
Mike,
That is really awesome! I hope you guys really put it to a ton of use!

Was there anything that you did in particular to get this kind of support from the city? Things that other clubs might be able to take advantage of?

Dave Hull
Valley Circle Burners
SoCal

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »
Awesome!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 02:01:39 PM »
I visited there about eight years ago, and remember it as being pretty grim.  Did they just do the one circle, or did they do the small circle, too?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »
Hi Dave: We have the advantage of this being a dedicated City park. The groundwork was laid starting 30 years ago, especially by Bill Osborne (who died about 20 years ago) to get it recognized as a city park, with the maintenance obligation that goes with it. As years went by and no maintenance, the pavement deteriorated. Still pretty good, but not for top-tier models. Lot of broken props. I tracked down the city park maintenance manager, met with him at the field two years ago, and kept up a stream of respectful and encouraging communications telling the department how many flyers had drifted away but would return if the field was in better condition. I brought my Legacy to show to the manager and explained how they work. It may have helped that it is electric powered. The manager agreed it needed a full re-paving, and said it would go on the list of projects. I had almost given up hope, but then out of the blue they showed up on Monday - my birthday no less - and started work! I will now follow up with a profuse "thank you" and make sure the mayor and city manager know what a great job the manager did and how we tax-paying residents appreciate it. We have been promised our own commercial-grade mower by the city, to do our own lawn cutting when needed. The city does the mowing usually but sometimes needs a quick trim.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »
So far just the large (70 foot) circle. The small one is for 1/2A and gets virtually no use. The grimness is probably about as you remember it. But, we have a clear view of Oracle Arena a half mile away across the bay, and ironically also the stadium used by the Raiders. Come back any time, we are a lot closer than Madera to you.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »
So far just the large (70 foot) circle. The small one is for 1/2A and gets virtually no use. The grimness is probably about as you remember it. But, we have a clear view of Oracle Arena a half mile away across the bay, and ironically also the stadium used by the Raiders. Come back any time, we are a lot closer than Madera to you.

Actually, the weekend that I was there nobody was flying in the big circle, but someone was practicing for their first speed contest by flying some sort of slow combat or sport plane on short lines in the 1/2-A circle.  Something about doing 3-second laps without falling down?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 10:50:59 AM »
That is great news about your circle.   You may have to take the manager out to dinner. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 06:08:44 PM »
NICE and smooth #^
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:43:20 AM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 06:10:36 PM »
Sounds like theyve got ' The Right attitude ' , doing it right first pays in the long run , Doit right & do it once . Anyone from all over should be
pleased to be there .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
NICE and smooth #^

I didn't realize y'all were so close to the edge of the Earth. WOW!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 07:38:04 PM »
NICE and smooth #^

Wow, Larry!  What a circle!   Half of it goes up and over and the other half down an under.  I'm still trying to get my head around exactly how the pilot will stay upright standing on the side of a sheer vertical surface...but us ukie types are very innovative.  We'll come up with a way to do so!

All kidding aside.  I have for years avoided the site because of the risk to contest quality airplanes (the Trivial Pursuit and the Imitation both had landing gears torn out landing in the poorly maintained grass surfaces which made up the majority of the larger circle.  As a a result my flights since the '90s have been few and far between, mostly with profiles.

The bad news (and the good, by George) is that I've now no excuse not to get something back in the air and see if practice can make semi-perfect for an old geezer.

Many thanks to the city and the club who apparently collaborated on a successful rebirth of a site named for a good servant of area modelers and interested youths, Bill Osborne.  I'll bet he's smiling down at the improved view!

Ted

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »
Wow, Larry!  What a circle!   Half of it goes up and over and the other half down an under.  I'm still trying to get my head around exactly how the pilot will stay upright standing on the side of a sheer vertical surface.

What, you don't have magnetic boots?
AMA 64232

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 11:13:43 PM »
Another picture of the new runway. (Don't know why it is sideways; it is correct in my file and when I attached it.) There is usually a few of us there on Sunday mornings by 8:00, weather permitting. I can be there on Saturdays if anyone else wants to show up, as I live only a mile from the field. Hopefully this will draw out the guys who have been sulking in their garages for the last few years yearning for a safe place to fly. This is the place. There is a Safeway and small shopping area less than a mile away and good coffee and pastries nearby (Peets and Starbucks). Mufflers are encouraged but not required. Clean regularly-serviced porta potty. There has been electric service in the past but it needs to be repaired, apparently. Another thing I am looking into, along with restoring water supply for sprinklers. By spring we should have real grass again, city says it will help restore the infield.

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »
I have to thank Mike for his Hard work since becoming President of Alameda Aeronuts for his work in getting a new runway, his time and effort talking to the right people.  THANKS Mike
Larry

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 07:57:17 AM »
Irfanview
Mike

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »
Irfanview

MIke,

the picture (right side up or "other") appears to have a sizable "line snagger" ridge on the edge of the hard surface toward the circle center.  Is that so and is there a plan to sculpt it down to match the hard surface?

thanx

Ted

p.s. How wide is the circle donut?

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »
Hi Ted -

No line snagger, the fill is flush to surface of pavement and tapers down about 6 inches to "grass" (aka dead weeds) surface. The new runway is 4 to 6 inches above former paved surface and at least that above the infield. Error of paralax? Width is about six feet. We have no problem with Trivial Pursuit-size models rolling off edge of runway. It is plenty wide for safe operations. I bought muffins to bring to grand opening Sunday morning. Larry will probably be flying Chizler, inspired by yours.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 05:10:45 AM »
Must be nice. Congratulations.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 01:15:38 PM »
View of lines, no interference with runway edge. We got plenty of oil on the new runway today, no electric just two PA40ULs. This is Larry Wong's scratch-built Chilzler, PA40 on header muffler. This picture is to reassure Ted that his models will be safe. Hopefully picture will not be sideways.

One of our club members who talked to the paving crew while work was going on says they said (so it must be true) the 1/2A circle is also going to be repaved.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 04:02:18 PM »
MIke,

the picture (right side up or "other") appears to have a sizable "line snagger" ridge on the edge of the hard surface toward the circle center.  Is that so and is there a plan to sculpt it down to match the hard surface?

thanx

Ted

p.s. How wide is the circle donut?

Ted, I was thinking the same thing.  I guess not, the grass area just "appears" to be higher than the asphalt.  The donut appears skinny also.  Only 70 feet?

Nice job, I only wish for a place to fly at all!
Mike

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »
the CL Circles in St Louis were in bad shape about two years ago and GSLMA (Greater St Louis Modeling association) funded the full paving of our 150' x 150' square pad in 2017. We also have a 60' radius donut that had the cracks filled and then sealed in 2017. It take a lot of $$$ to repair and maintain these paved circles but it' worth the effort. GSLMA charges $30 for a park pass and all of that money funds repairs such as this, all of the money raised by the park pass go right back into the flying facility to keep it in top notch condition.

All told we have a 60' donut circle, the 150' x 150' square pad (fully paved), concrete carrier deck and the CL speed circle which is fully paved and sealed. You can sport fly off of the carrier circle and fly over the grass if you like. We fly the smaller and 1/2a models off of the square pad or the speed circle.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 07:26:06 PM »
Wow what a day at Alameda the weather was great. and we also had the pleasure of expert help from Brett Buck about 5 hr. of flying and trimming , thanks again Brett
Larry

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 08:33:11 PM »
I want to add to what Larry said, a memorable day of perfect weather, light breeze away from the sun, and a full day of impromptu coaching and fuel-system-unclogging by Brett. We are so fortunate in the Bay Area to have all this come together. Even the smoke from the fires up north has cleared, and new grass is sprouting thanks to 2 days of rain last week. Hopefully the flyers who had written off Alameda's circle as too rough will reappear. Again, a huge thanks to Brett Buck for his tireless and selfless efforts to keep our hobby vital and growing.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 11:35:54 PM »
I had a great time this morning over with Larry, Michael, and the Lands. The circle is much improved over the previous version and appears to be of much higher workmanship. It's still pretty narrow, but safe to fly on if you are careful about lining it up.

We got Michael's airplane working pretty good, and it has an outstanding run from his PA40UL, much better than I ever got with the regular PA40. We also did a little coaching, with emphasis on creating reference frames to line up the maneuvers better. That's one of those things that takes more than a few flights to master, but you have to start somewhere.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here