News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Al Rabe and his DVD.  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Al Rabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Al Rabe and his DVD.
« on: June 01, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
Guys, I'm 82 and mostly finished with modeling beyond Stunthangar and Stuka Stunt posts and reply's.  I still have airplanes and tons of equipment but don't build or write much any more. For years, I have sold a series of DVDs on all subjects having to do with model airplanes, design, construction and competition. 

I have no interest in selling more DVDs.  If it were possible , I'd like the latest DVD, Al's Models 4, to be widely distributed at little of no cost to as many interested modelers as possible.

Is the DVD worth the effort?  Al's Models 4 contains about 190,000 words, 1640 pages of texts and photographs and 25 minutes of video.  Its mostly technical but there is some of my personality there as well. All things considered, this is would seem enough of a modeling resource to justify some effort toward it's widespread distribution to as many people as possible who might value its content.

I still have bout 40 copies of my DVDs which I would volunteer to persons with the technical skills, equipment and the desire to make available some of this huge resource.

In the meantime, I invite any persons having a copy of Al's Models 3 or 4 please feel free to make copies for friends , acquaintances, or just interested modelers . Copies made from my DVDs will copy with full resolution and audio, equal in every respect to my copy masters, excepting the pretty labels.

I would welcome any suggestions how this DVD content might be distributed.  Stunt News comes to mind but it is much too small and publishes as text which makes it incomparable with the DVD's video.  This DVD could be broken into smaller segments for posting on the web.  There is a Mustang flying video and all 15 hours of my BBQB  Bearcat building free on YouTube.  More of this would be nice if there were any way to make it all available.

In any case, I will welcome suggestions .

With the help[ of my computer guy, we made it possible for anyone to access all of the text and videos contained in the Al's Models 4  which I used to sell.  All anyone has to do now to access any or all of the 190,000 words, 1600 pages and photos and 25 minutes of video. is to simply click on this link.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkHUtj971Jgk_k-N5vVQX_as0dcVexiz4

Al
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:42:59 PM by Al Rabe »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Al Rabe and his DVD.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
This DVD could be broken into smaller segments for posting on the web.

Al,

What you said above could be a possibility.

Distribution could be the AMA, Air & Space Museum or similar.

Your DVD's can be cataloged a few different ways in a commercial website.

Same way movies are categorized for purchase.

Would take some effort, but there could also be 'previews' say, two minutes of audio describing the contents of each video. More interesting instead of just text.

Those interested could quickly make decisions based on their projects, to purchase or to download for free.

Nothing wrong with having a purchase fee or offer for free downloading.

Some thought and you may have a great thing going, both for seeding participation and interest in the hobby and the technical side for those who need guidance with building and finishing.

I believe my website has over 150 pages, not sure but close I'll bet. I pay 9.95 a month for this.

Same guy, small family business, I've used for 22 years.

You asked for suggestions, so if you're thinking along these lines, I can give you my web master's info if you like.

He talks for free,  LL~

I've always admired your work and dedication to the hobby, the idea of having your efforts and your contributions continue is a good one. A really good one.

Best of luck,

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 10:21:02 PM »
If you get up at 6 am each morning , and do a 10 kilometer jog , youll feel more inclined .  :-X

https://stunthanger.com/smf/model-library/

Sparky may have something to say on it , but ' The Library ' here has a singular entry .
Dunno about the kilo whotsits , but ' on screen ' would be usefull ;

A Interview on Video / U Tube , with ' Mr Stunt Hanger ' would be of intrest to all of us , Im Sure .

A Few Notes for ' The Lecture ' would keep it instructive as to lineage and history , keep it chronologically straight .
Videos/ movies  of Historic stuff , no matter how scratchy or disjointed , from 70s etc are pearls from the Oceans to your followers .  H^^
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:36:12 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »
Al,
   I have to take the time to say thanks for all you have done. I have always felt you were one of the most brilliant designers and fliers. You are a true master in the art of thinking and solving problems. My hat is off to you my friend. H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 09:05:18 PM »
Al,
Maybe they could be loaded to YouTube similar to the Windy CL videos. I don't know the contact  for the guy that is doing that for the Windy videos (CL Guy, maybe he is on this board) but if you contact Windy he can put you in touch with him. It would be great to preserve your technology, general CL information and advice for those that may be coming into or returning to the hobby.  Thanks AL for all you do and  have done for the CL community.

Best,   DennisT

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 09:25:59 AM »
Hi, Al,
Your CD would be a great resource if it was available in a clickable download file in an open public folder in one of the cloud services. I personally use Dropbox to archive my newsletters so any and everyone with the link can view and/or download them.

Are you familiar with Dropbox? The Basic account allows 2 Gigabytes of free file storage. I pay $9.99/mo. for 1 terabyte of space. No one would need to register for anything in order to download from it(although you do have to click away a "Log-In" prompt, and this has been known to confuse grumpy folks who don't look closely).

For the Basic free service, here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/register

How large is the total data file on your DVD? I know they can be up to 4.7 Gigs, so that would be too much for the free account. Microsoft OneDrive has up to 25 Gb for free, but I don't know if you can have a folder open to the public like D.Box. Also, I have plenty(more than I'll ever use) of free space on my paid account, so you could mail me a disk and I could host it on my D.Box account... at least till I kick the bucket and my D.Box eventually gets cancelled.

I hope that's useful information, Al. It could at least get you started right away until/if you want to explore other options. If you do get Dropbox and need help or advice, PM me and we can talk on the phone if necessary.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Kevin Muckleroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
I watched Als
"Profile Bearcat" Build videos posted by Ptaylo on U-Tube.
 Wow what an interesting Profile build that is. Hollow Fuse, Full sheeted built up wing, fuilly cowled upright engine. Lots to learn from this set. Even building a wing jig for the full wing.

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »
Guys,

I appreciate the useful ideas and will try to follow through.  Meanwhile my sprinkler guy clipped my internet lead taking me out of service since original posting.  I will get back to modelers trying to help but limiting by the amount of time I will spend on this.  I will send information to persons wanting to help.

Al

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
Charles,

I agree with your thoughts on how we might get this information out to modelers every;where.  Send me your address so that I can forward a Al's DVD disk to you and an extra copy for the person helping you with your web site.

Al

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
Rusty,

I would be delighted if it were possible to download the entire DVD to anybody wanting a copy to view or to copy for friends.  My computer says that Al's Models 4 DVD is 4.38gb.  I'll also mention this to Paul Taylor.  He has also posted many hours of my materials on YouTube including the 15 hour BBQB Bearcat build and also the Profile Bearcat..  If you don't have a copy, send me your address.

thanks, Al

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »
Dennis,

I think it was Paul Taylor who loaded mant of my videos on YouTube.  Maybe he can do more.

Thanks, Al

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
Matt,

I already offered use of my videos to Mr. Stunt Hangar. I would hope that many other locations will come up where we can distribute this information. 189,000 words, 1640 pages and photo and 25 minutes of video use up a lot of bandwidth.  Also I think it necessary that the material be transmitted as much as possible and in color with photographs.

Thanks, l
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:48:43 AM by Al Rabe »

Advertise Here
Tags: very generous 

Advertise Here