News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:01:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some "trimming " questions  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Some "trimming " questions
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
Brett, I got a couple of flights in yesterday in the cold. I'm now focusing on the cg. Taking a little of the nose weight out at a time. The outside loops are gorgeous. I settled on 61ft lines eyelet to eyelet. I also found an 11x5 Xoar prop worked well on my La40 giving me 5.1 5.2 lap times. I did add a 1/4 oz more tip weight. It was windy so I'm not sure of the line tension overhead ,but suspect I'll need to move the lead outs rearward a bit. Thanks for your encouragement....can't wait to get to that Strega and Ares I've got sitting there waiting for filler coats....PhillySkip

Too much tip weight isn't nearly as bad as too little, but it's still not optimum, the best leadout position changes with tip weight, and things will never be entirely right with too much tip weight.

I don't know how good you are or if you're aiming for "really safe" or "really best" -- so I'm going to leave the above statement as it is without recommendation.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56:27 PM »
Hey all,I got that P40 flying very nicely. I took out a small Higley weight I had in the spinner and the corners sharpened up without sacrificing the nice rounds I had in the loops. I also moved the lead outs aft about 3/8" from the suggested starting point and had nice line tension overhead. The La 40 engine(stock) is running beautifully with a soft break and plenty of power. I'm using the stock muffler with clunk tank on muffler pressure. 11x 5 Xoar prop. Getting thru the pattern  with a minute left over on 4 3/4oz....She's fun to fly....PhillySkip

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2017, 08:20:34 PM »
That is great news. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here