News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advice sought on Spectra Lines remit to allow their use in New Zealand  (Read 1609 times)

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Hello
I am involved in the process of submitting a remit on the use of Spectra style lines in NZ , the remit needs to be sent in before the end of October . The remit is worded to be inclusive of any brand but rely on the pull test. I have also compiled a general guide as to selecting what type of line to use.
I know Spectra is legal for general C/L flying and combat in the U.S.A but is it legal elsewhere too?
Do the FAI rules exclude Spectra style line or are they based on a pull test?

The remit reads as follows (extra remits are needed for each separate class rules too).

Remit 1
That Rule 2.4 of the CODE OF PRACTICE FOR THE SAFE OPERATION OF CONTROL LINE MODEL AIRCRAFT as follows:
2.4 For all competition classes, lines shall be of made of steel or stainless steel. Other types of line such as Terylene, Polyester, Kevlar or monofilament Nylon (fishing line) are not permitted.
Is modified to read:
2.4 For all competition classes, lines shall be made of steel or stainless steel. Other types of line such as Terylene, Polyester, Kevlar or monofilament Nylon (fishing line) are not permitted. Lines made of braided construction "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" material e.g. Spectra or Dyneema are permitted, as allowed by individual class rules.
Remit 2
That Rule 1.3 of the NZMAA Flying Rules: Section 3: Control Line as follows:
1.3 CONTROL LINES All lines which control the flight of the model must be of steel, free of corrosion, kinks or weaknesses. No cord or string connections may be used as part of the control lines or in their attachment to the control handle.
Is modified to read:
1.3 CONTROL LINES All lines which control the flight of the model must be of steel, free of corrosion, kinks or weaknesses. No cord or string connections may be used as part of the control lines or in their attachment to the control handle. Lines made of braided construction "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" material e.g. Spectra or Dyneema are permitted, as allowed by individual class rules.

Hopefully others can assist in providing advice to get the remit passed.

My guide reads as follows:
Many Thanks Gerald

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Advice sought on Spectra Lines remit to allow their use in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »
"1.3 CONTROL LINES All lines which control the flight of the model must be of steel, free of corrosion, kinks or weaknesses. No cord or string connections may be used as part of the control lines or in their attachment to the control handle. Lines made of braided construction "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" material e.g. Spectra or Dyneema are permitted, as allowed by individual class rules."

Seems to me like this is more properly worded than our recently rejected revision. I would still be concerned with the diameter or pound test rating. It seems like some guidelines need to be in there about that, and also the legal way to terminate the lines. I'm not too trusting of knots, I'll admit it. I got the Decoy rings, but haven't gotten around to making up any test samples. I did get the Spectra (Power Pro 40 lb test, color is vermillion), and Decoy rings together in one place...my box of lines and line fixings.  :o Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
Hello Steve

Thanks for looking at the remit. I did draw up a guide relating to poundage of lines and models and will try attaching an image instead of a PDF.
There are a number of recommend knots of the modified surgeon and uni knot but this You Tube knot tying video for C/L lines makes it easy at :

The 65 lb Power Pro Maxcuatro Spectra seems the best all-rounder I have tried so far for models up to 68oz

Regards Gerald

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:15:32 PM »
"1.3 CONTROL LINES All lines which control the flight of the model must be of steel, free of corrosion, kinks or weaknesses. No cord or string connections may be used as part of the control lines or in their attachment to the control handle. Lines made of braided construction "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" material e.g. Spectra or Dyneema are permitted, as allowed by individual class rules."

Seems to me like this is more properly worded than our recently rejected revision. I would still be concerned with the diameter or pound test rating. It seems like some guidelines need to be in there about that, and also the legal way to terminate the lines. I'm not too trusting of knots, I'll admit it. I got the Decoy rings, but haven't gotten around to making up any test samples. I did get the Spectra (Power Pro 40 lb test, color is vermillion), and Decoy rings together in one place...my box of lines and line fixings.  :o Steve

The problem with it is similar to the recent rejected proposal, however - attempting to prove that it's "real" Spectra or Dyneema, and attempting to use the stated test rating of the line. As far as I can tell, there is no way to do that and the method proposed in the AMA attempt (either the first or second version) was clearly unworkable.

I would suggest, since there are apparently almost no engineering specifications of these materials outside of manufacturer's proprietary claims, that any attempt to somehow assure that only "real" UHMWPE is used is probably doomed to failure. I would instead suggest that any reference to materials for *anything* be removed, (including the "cord" discussion), and just count on the pull test to weed out the unworthy or poorly-assembled/damaged lines. No size requirements, no knot requirements, no material requirements, 10Gs and it's OK.

I am not sure why we should even care what materials are used, as long as you are testing them every time. The AMA accommodation for the Yatsenko handles (2x normal pull test, for the handle only) is completely unjustifiable from a technical standpoint, it's there to placate some bizarre issue that was a point of argument in some other event.

Brett

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 08:31:47 PM »
Thank-you Brett with your input.
I will go back and try to get the remit amended to omit specific wording of line type and change it to  focus on the pull test and not other requirements.
Hope it will pass but there is a lot of inertia or reluctance to try anything new (but only by some), whenever trying to change control line rules and worldwide I would guess.

Regards Gerald

As an aside I can remember using many other 'types' of lines in the distant past but nobody seemed concerned back then  ???
Most of the lines I've broken were steel due to old age corrosion, getting kinked and sudden shocks but pull tests have saved a few models!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »
Just how do we go about "proving" that our "braided" (twisted) cables or solids are stainless steel as called out for in the rulebook? Some appear to be copper, brass or bronze plated, so how do we know what's under that? Aren't some of the 3 & 4 strand soldered lines steel and not stainless steel? 

Answer is that we don't. Same with using Spectra/Dyneema line...the user needs to be confident of the material, based on what he/she ordered or what it said on the box/spool. No difference that I can see. If it's not any good, the pull-test will sort 'em out.  y1 Steve   

PS: My gripe about using knots is the difficulty of getting two lines remotely close to the same length. Looks like Fred's video is an improvement over what the AMA rulebook requires...hint, hint!
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here