News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ADVENTURES IN SPECTRA  (Read 27610 times)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: ADVENTURES IN SPECTRA
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2022, 03:40:45 PM »
Just got my order of Fins 40G 65#.  Looks to be about the same size as PowerPro 65# but much smoother.  My big decision is which connector.  Direct to the clip, loop on the end or tied to a ring.  I think I like a double loop on the connector.

Ken

Use a Larks Head knot to attach it onto the line clip.
Aka, The "Lenny Loop"
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2022, 04:40:34 PM »
Ken,
I would use the end knot described by Mike Stinson video. This is a double surgeons knot with a "bit" as recommended by AMA. Then use the Larks head to loop onto the line clip (I use the scissor type clip). Since you have the FINS 40G 65# and the PowerPro Max 65# line it would be interesting to see which line is less drag. In my experience the FINS 40G will be thinner and less drag than the PowerPro's. Let us know.

Best,    DennisT

Online Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2022, 05:14:12 PM »

I think Wes & I were the only ones at VSC using Spectra,

What the h-ll is taking everyone so long!!??

As a Ringmaster/Buster/Twister, non competitive kind of flyer, Spectra got me flying the pattern after 70 years of flying control line. (My fleet of hand-me-down stunters are all overweight and beyond proper trim). I understand that most of you are professional engineers and scientists who bring the protocols of your professions to the discipline of C/L Aerobatics. Your input, research and improvements to the sport are breathtaking. But for the endless analysis, testing, agony over which knots, follow the leaders, crunching of numbers, and never ending discussions are getting a bit tiring. Admittedly, I'm not campaigning a front row wonder. But for us grunts, the news that Spectra was light weight, non kinking, visible, strong as or stronger than steel made me an instant convert. Plus, the Combat guys have been USING THEM FOR YEARS!

Ara

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2022, 09:08:54 AM »
I need some spare lines for this season. Looks like okie air wants $40 a set for anything over 60'. So, how are spectra holding up? I'd hate to destroy a plane trying to save a buck. How does the flex compare with 7 strand? You guys make it sound like a no brainer, any final thoughts?
Okay, follow up. The FINS sounds pretty good. What are we thinking for a 40 size plane vs a 60 size. I e. .015 and .018 equivalents.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 09:26:27 AM by Shorts,David »

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2022, 09:37:06 AM »
Dave,
I think the FINS 40G will fit your needs. Use the knots shown in the video. My way of determining what LB Test to use, I take the weight of the model in LBs, times two times 10 then get the nearest LB Test line.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2022, 09:43:44 AM »
Dave,
I think the FINS 40G will fit your needs. Use the knots shown in the video. My way of determining what LB Test to use, I take the weight of the model in LBs, times two then get the nearest LB Test line.

Best,   DennisT
So I should be getting 8lb test for my 64oz plane?  I think you quoted your formula wrong.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2022, 09:51:33 AM »
Ken,
Sorry, I forgot to add the multiply by 10, corrected post.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2022, 01:36:58 PM »
I need some spare lines for this season. Looks like okie air wants $40 a set for anything over 60'. So, how are spectra holding up? I'd hate to destroy a plane trying to save a buck. How does the flex compare with 7 strand? You guys make it sound like a no brainer, any final thoughts?
Okay, follow up. The FINS sounds pretty good. What are we thinking for a 40 size plane vs a 60 size. I e. .015 and .018 equivalents.

If you want to stay with 7 strand stainless you can buy 1000' of .015" or .018" for $40.00 here:
https://mbsmodelsupply.com/Catalog.pdf
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2022, 06:25:22 PM »

Hi Dave,
If you use a knot that can't slip,  the rulebook shown knot is just fine.  Other than that, they will be good for years.  I'm using the very first set of lines I made up years ago.  They still can handle a full 45lb F2D combat line test.

BTW, finding that out made a modest discovery.  I pull tested at the NATS where they us a calibrated pull double-checked by a couple of spring scales.  The F2D limit is about 4in.  Both sets, the imported, brass plated 4 strand and the common stainless, .018 lines, stretched EXACTLY the same length,- about 1/4 in. less than the limit.  Surprised the heck out of me!
phil Cartier

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2022, 04:24:17 PM »
If you want to stay with 7 strand stainless you can buy 1000' of .015" or .018" for $40.00 here:
https://mbsmodelsupply.com/Catalog.pdf
Hey, that's quite a bit cheaper than fins 40g. So, for a bargain, get steel wires. For weight and durability, get spectra.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2022, 04:56:37 PM »
Hey, that's quite a bit cheaper than fins 40g. So, for a bargain, get steel wires. For weight and durability, get spectra.

Which F2B world champion won with Spectra?
Which Nats Open champion won with spectra?
Which MACA # 1 in Combat did it with spectra?
Which F2D world champion did it with spectra?
At one or two sets of lines per year for Stunt; How much did you save?
Durability? A set of steel lines will last you a minimum of a year flying stunt. At the MBS price above that's between $5-$6
They are lighter. Do you think that 1/4-3/4 oz. you get to remove from your 50-65 oz. airplane will make much difference in the performance?
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2022, 05:21:34 PM »
Don,
If you don't try them you will not know if that 1/4 - 3/4oz off your ship will be a benefit. No one is trying to outlaw steel lines, use what makes you happy and keeps you flying. The Spectra lines are just a new option for Stunt, they allow using thinner lines for the same strength (based on FINS 40G lines) which gives less drag. For electric, this means  drawing less amps. For IC you would likely be able to tune for less fuel. In both cases it further reduces weight (less fuel or smaller battery pack). Cost wise and durability wise they are 1/3 the cost of current day stainless steel and according to the combat guys last several seasons. Try them you might like them.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2022, 01:06:33 AM »
Don,
If you don't try them you will not know if that 1/4 - 3/4oz off your ship will be a benefit. No one is trying to outlaw steel lines, use what makes you happy and keeps you flying. The Spectra lines are just a new option for Stunt, they allow using thinner lines for the same strength (based on FINS 40G lines) which gives less drag. For electric, this means  drawing less amps. For IC you would likely be able to tune for less fuel. In both cases it further reduces weight (less fuel or smaller battery pack). Cost wise and durability wise they are 1/3 the cost of current day stainless steel and according to the combat guys last several seasons. Try them you might like them.

Best,   DennisT

"Cost wise and durability wise they are 1/3 the cost of current day stainless steel and according to the combat guys last several seasons. Try them you might like them."
Where do you get FINS 40G in appropriate strength for less than $40/1000ft.?

What "combat guys" are you talking about? We fly in most of the major competitions and rarely, if ever, see it used in competition. As for lasting "several seasons" they're obviously not actually flying many combat matches or they're stretching the truth.

If used in combat the rules still require the diameter to be .018" for "slow" or "fast"

I have tried them. I would describe them as a labor intensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I can make a set of stainless lines from a bulk reel in under 10 minutes that are perfectly equal in length.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2022, 07:29:56 AM »
If used in combat the rules still require the diameter to be .018" for "slow" or "fast"

I have tried them. I would describe them as a labor intensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I can make a set of stainless lines from a bulk reel in under 10 minutes that are perfectly equal in length.
I am curious why the Combat rules only recognize diameter when "Spectra" is considerably stronger at the same diameter.  But, the rules are the rules and the benefit to us PA guys is not the strength, that is a given.  It is the stretch and drag.  Stretch has been tested to be the same or less and size is smaller.  I don't find them much better than the now legal smaller diameter "Ukranian" lines which I will continue to use until they are no more.

My family owned a fishing tackle company when I was in my 20's.  With practice, *a lot* of practice, you can tie knots much faster than you can wrap lines, especially if you are using heat shrink on metal,  and always forget to put it on the line before you wrap it.  It won't be long before some of our more innovative types come up with a wrapping tool for Spectra.  Maybe they have already.

Ken 
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2022, 12:45:52 PM »
I am curious why the Combat rules only recognize diameter when "Spectra" is considerably stronger at the same diameter.  But, the rules are the rules and the benefit to us PA guys is not the strength, that is a given.  It is the stretch and drag.  Stretch has been tested to be the same or less and size is smaller.  I don't find them much better than the now legal smaller diameter "Ukranian" lines which I will continue to use until they are no more.

Ken

Ken
The concern was avoiding a speed advantage for the Spectra equipped birds versus the steel.  Specing 100# Power Pro based on its size and not its strength took care of that.  In the 14(?) or so years since Spectra has been used in Combat there are now a LOT of different suppliers of Spectra line with different construction, size and strength advantages versus original Power Pro. 

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2022, 09:00:01 PM »

Alert: This is not a techno-talk reply.

I know the dissemination of technical info is the lifeblood of this forum. But, because of Spectra lines, I'm having such an adventure with a good 'ole low tech CG Buster/Fox 35 that I had to put it on here.

This was going to be the summer of flying Dave Slagle's Bippi RC biplane after struggling for two years with its Saito 30 gas engine. I'd love to tell you all about it, but, suffice it to say there's a topic on RC Groups that goes back to 2009(!!) dedicated to problems with this engine. So, problem now solved (replaced the carb), weather, home repairs, weather, grandson's broken elbow, weather etc. got in the way.

Also, (taking more of my time), we've been instructing full scale aviation students from the University of Maine on flying RC and gave a C/L demo with the Buster. To assure all went well, I used Spectra for the first time on this model and the difference in performance was astounding. I flew the Old Time Pattern with AMA 'eights' and square maneuvers thrown in with no problem.

I did tweak the stock Buster with tank plumbing, needle valve replacement, tank position, and sealed hinge line. I'm using yellow 65# test x 62'9" lines. It's so reliable and steady that it's turned this year into the summer of flying the pattern with a Carl Goldberg Buster, all because of Spectra.

Ara

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2022, 01:40:20 AM »
Hello Ara
Good to hear your positive experience with Spectra line, our favorite for 15-25 size combat and mid size stunters is 65 lb too.
I wonder if Spectra will find its way into international F2B competitions in time ?

Regards Gerald

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2022, 08:47:35 AM »
Thx for all the detailed info on Spectra lines. I fly mostly sport and a bit of stunt as I work on the 'pattern'. I really like the Spectra lines. I have flown 40 size models with 65# test lines. One extra benefit. Since the lines are lighter (compared to SS) one can normally get away w/ less wing tip weight. So, an overall lighter model which is a good thing!

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2022, 05:04:16 PM »
What lines would you recommend for a 20/21 oz model? Any brands I can buy at Walmart, or stuff I need to order? Only if it's lighter or thinner than .12*7, which I already have.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2022, 06:11:17 PM »
What lines would you recommend for a 20/21 oz model? Any brands I can buy at Walmart, or stuff I need to order? Only if it's lighter or thinner than .12*7, which I already have.

Hi David
Lessee, 20 oz = 1.25 lbs so a 10G pull test would be about 13 lbs.  I did a quick search on Walmart and found they list PowerPro - which is a pretty good go-to choice.  For me I would get the 20# line (thus 40# theoretical pull test capability) which is .009" diameter.  BTW, if you simply wanted to break even on line diameter vs .012" SS cable you could go as high as 40# line!  In any case weight is line weight is negligiblle.

WalMart lists PP 20# at $12.49 for 150 yards.  You can probably beat that price with an off-brand.  Of course, line price improves for larger spools.

If no luck at Walmart try a local tackle shop.  Of course, Amazoom is also a pretty good source.

If you cannot find original PowerPro, other brands I have had good luck with: PowerPro Slick 8, Spiderwire, FINS WindTamer, & Suffix 832

Things to look for: Spectra, Dyneema, or IZANAS fiber

Get a light color: white, yellow, bright green, blue, orange, or pink!

Colors to avoid - Dark Green line absolutely disappears in the grass or on blacktop.  Dark brown not much better....
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2022, 09:27:08 AM »
The AMA has a simple chart:

Model Weight oz       Engine       Spectra Rating lb (minimum)

24                  .09                     20
          40                  .25                     40
          64                  .40                     60
          75                  .75                     100

I use Spectra 65# test for my .40 size models. (I don't believe you can get 60# test. Just use next size up)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 11:01:12 AM by Colin McRae »

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ADVENTS IN SPECTRAURE
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2022, 08:56:36 AM »
Thanks for this information. I have been using FINS 40G Spectra line that follows your chart very closely. I use the knots as shown in the video on this thread, works great and can get the lines very close to same length, then do final trim with handle cable.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2022, 01:27:32 PM »
My planes typically come out in the 65oz+- range.  Power is 35xx electric.  Pull test is roughly 40lb.  Why would I want to use anything more than 65lb in "Spectra" for this size plane?  Even if it is a pig at 75oz the pull test is only 47lbs for 2 lines. Everybody seems to be recommending 80lb+.  Is it the stretch?  We don't seem to have a problem trusting .018 steel which is around 50lb or less.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 01:54:28 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2022, 03:17:40 PM »
Ken, 80# test Spectra is overkill for a 65 oz model. 65# is all you need if you want to follow the AMA guideline. One can always go w/ more strength, but just increases the safety factor.

I have a Vector 40 that weighs 64 oz. I fly it w/ 65# test Spectra lines.

And one other thing. There are 2 lines out to the model. So, each line sees 1/2 the load. If you do a model pull test at 40# each line is only seeing 20 lbs.  Two 65# test Spectra lines totals 130 pounds. It would take a total load of 130 lbs to snap those lines. So, a 40 lb pull test still has a 3.25 safety factor over the ultimate strength of the lines.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 05:58:43 PM by Colin McRae »

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2022, 06:38:12 PM »
While I do not disagree with any of the comments regarding breaking strain I do remember when I was a callow youth having a line failure on a Fox 36x combat special powered Flight Streak. It did about 12 very tight loops before the remaining line said "Enough" and it finally ran out of airspace about 400 yds away. I always aim for a breaking strain at least equal to the pull test for each line.

I've just completed a small fun model for a club fun event. (Mercury Viper, foam board facsimile). 12oz, Cheap Chinese outrunner, 1300mah Lipo 10A Castle ESC. Does the OTS schedule with ease and has capacity to do it all again if necessary. I use Spectra lines following Mike's tutorial. Results were great but after struggling with almost invisible 15 llb lines where do you find the dwarfs with fingers small enough (And Eyesight good enough) to tie the knot. I got there eventually but the lines are about 43 ft instead of the 45 ft I was aiming for. 

As a post script the Flight Streak was rediscovered in the attic about 15 years ago as part of a clear out. Interest rekindled it was converted to electric and re introduced me to CL. It taught me how to fly again and was passed to a new flyer about 12 months ago. It and finally met its ultimate demise a few weeks ago but everything considered it had a good life.  #^

TTFN
John
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2022, 10:51:00 AM »
Ken,
I have been using a produce call "The Knot Needle" (https://theknotkneedle.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsMGYBhAEEiwAGUXJadz0K80KGynCaLQe25ny1lTeoIG1cCJ0aE0BGTPEOC5GPFAs6K7iShoCF7kQAvD_BwE) to handle the fine line and it works great. The web site has lots of knot information and videos.

Best,   DennisT

Online Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2022, 05:22:44 PM »

Al Ferraro gave a frightening demo of breaking 80# and 100# Spectra MaxCuatro line on the 9/09/2022 Stunthangar Video hangout starting at 1:42:00. He fixed a short length between two screwdrivers and broke the lines by pulling them apart. The 100# MaxCuatro type is labeled as 25% thinner at .016".

I tried the same experiment with my green box 100# PowerPro .020" green and yellow lines. Pulling for all I was worth (the most scientific measurement I could come up with) I couldn't break them. The yellow line was bought on Amazon about 5 or six years ago.

Does the 60' of Cuatro line absorb the tension? Is Al's demo not a true test of the lines strength?

Either way I won't be using the thinner Cuatro type for flying, maybe for fishing; the stripers are running.

Ara

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2022, 05:42:53 AM »
Hello

I watched the Stunthangar video from Friday and I think something is wrong with the Max Cuatro lines Al brought off Amazon.
The line should be close to their rated breaking strain and testing your lines is the best way of finding an inferior 'copy' or faulty product.
With the different brands I have tried there are differences in stretch and strength you may not expect, hence the need to pull test and perhaps try them out on a old model first.

Regards Gerald

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2022, 09:44:52 AM »
I did the same test on some new Fins G40 65# test lines and I could break them.  Not at the knot, but in the center of the line.  I gave a set to Bob Hunt who flew them on his Genesis without any issues.  Pulled them pretty hard to pre-stretch them.  Going to make up a .015 stainless test piece and see what happens.  Based on my experience flying the Spectras in combat, they should be fine for how they will be used.  I love them in combat.  Same set of lines for 2 years.
Jim Vigani

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2022, 04:41:25 PM »
Hello
My arms and elbows in particular are really score now after giving many lines the screw driver test. My pain did reveal what I sort of I expected the 50 lb line was easy to snap 65 lb was a bit harder and 85lb Fins 40G was quite painful and my Max Cuatro 65 lb put up a good fight and the Power Pro 100 lb almost defeated my arms but gave in after half a dozen goes.
Then the steel lines and the 15" steel was easy to break after a few pulls (it broke with no effort like it had been stressed after 3 goes) Last was a 3 stranded steel of 18" and it broke after a few attempts, similar to the 100 lb Spectre and I was left with aching arms but satisfied the Spectra lines were not weak especially the 85 and 100lb types.
I used the modified surgeons knot for each length and pre-stretched them first before giving successively more effort on each attempt to break them.

Pull testing airplanes is not normally sudden like this , it is more akin to combat or a model regaining line tension suddenly where we would expect lines to break or curl . From my own experience I can see why combat models need the 20G test and in practice 50lb for 1/2A (09) diesel and 65 lb for NZ slow or 100lb for full size combat seems the minimum you can trust.

Regards Gerald 
PS been using Spectra for the last few years almost exclusively so Al's post got me worried.

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2022, 12:38:01 PM »
I made up a test piece of 7 strand stainless 0.015.  I could break them by just pulling on them, but qualitatively, it seemed to be just a bit stronger that the Fins 65# lines.  Not enough in my mind to worry about as the test was subjective.  I may run a real test with some dead weights just to see what the difference might be.
Jim Vigani

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2022, 06:58:06 PM »
Dennis A,
The Knot Needle arrived yesterday, haven't had a chance to work with it yet. What type of knot have you been using? With all the options about this it is hard to find setups that you can trust. I was thinking of doubling over the line no matter what knot just to give more surface to spread the force over.

I found some 1/64" cable thimbles from McMaster that are teardrop shaped and will see how they work. I think because of the smooth shape it should put less stress on the knot, just need to make sure there are smooth edges. What do you think?

I want to set up a hanging weight test rig to see how the various knots will hold with different amounts of weight or maybe a simple pull scale.

Best,    DennisT
Dennis, doubling the line to tie the knot is perfectly OK, unless it leaves too much slack in the knot.  So, make sure by pulltesting before flying.  Getting the knot thorougly wet before pulling.  That will help show anyslack that is slipping.
phil Cartier

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2022, 02:23:37 PM »
Hello

I watched the Stunthangar video from Friday and I think something is wrong with the Max Cuatro lines Al brought off Amazon.
The line should be close to their rated breaking strain and testing your lines is the best way of finding an inferior 'copy' or faulty product.
[....]

Regards Gerald

After performing a number of instrumented breaking tests using a digital scale, and also communicating with the product testing team at Shimano Fish (PowerPro is a Shimano brand), I can confidently state that the only way to obtain a full rated strength out of a braided Spectra line is to wrap the ends around a large spool or cylinder. This is what manufacturers use to test and rate their products.
The moment you tie a knot of *any kind* (and we've tried a few), the line breaking strength is reduced to 70% at best, and sometimes to 50-60%, depending on the quality of the knot.
This is not a cause for alarm or a reason to dump synthetic lines altogether. Simply make an appropriate correction when choosing which line to buy, and learn to tie a good knot.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2022, 04:10:39 PM »
The line breakage shown in those video tests didn't seem to occur at the knots.  It was usually several inches out from the knot.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 10:42:51 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2022, 11:03:53 AM »
The line breakage shown in those video tests didn't seem to occur at the knots.  It was usually several inches out from the knot.

Brent, that was my observation as well: most line breaks do NOT occur at the knot. Yet I'm convinced that it is the knot that weakens the line.  I don't have an explanation as to why.

Here's what happened. I purchased a spool of 65# Maxquatro PowerPro directly from Shimano (so I assume the product was authentic). I repeatedly tested them to destruction with various knots; also with and without pre-stretching.  Most failures occurred between 40-45 lbs. Disappointed, I returned the lines to Shimano. About a month later, their quality control team sent me a video of my specific spool of line being tested on their strength test machine three different times. Every test showed line exceeding the rated strength (!).
The test machine had line terminated by coiling it around large metal cylinders.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2022, 11:25:32 AM »
Any true test of line strength has to be done with flying length segments, preferably the ones you will be using.  There is a reason they use a short length around
 spool for the ratings.  It adds to the ability of the line to stretch and does not introduce a hard point.  At flying length you get more stretch but you also have more opportunities for a flaw or weak spot.  All we need is for it not to break at the load we will put on it and what better way than to simply test the lines you are going to use with the knots you are going to tie.  We also forget that every plane is equipped with a very effective shock absorber permanently attached to your shoulder.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2022, 07:06:41 PM »

Another reason to try Spectra:

I flew my Fox 35/Buster today on 65# Spectra lines attached to my trusty E-Z Just handle. It was drizzling with storm clouds looming in the distance. No shocks!

Ara

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2022, 11:26:19 PM »
Damp lines become very good conductors of static electricity. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2022, 08:53:46 AM »
Damp lines become very good conductors of static electricity. H^^

A lightning bolt has what, 450,000 Volts of electricity? :X I figure that the 6 inches of insulation provided by a rubber motorcycle tire isn't much of a dielectric n1 with that much potential in a thunderstorm, why I usually duck into a store until it passes. D>K (Except some stretches of rural New Mexico and Texas Panhandle, there is no place to duck for miles (BTDT). :o

Spectra or not, you won't see me flying during a thunderstorm!  ~^

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2023, 05:53:49 PM »
Any updates on using the Spectra lines on larger models?

Best,   DennisT

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2023, 02:21:27 AM »
Hello
Been using Spectra lines for all our models from 049's to 60 size for a few years now and must say the Max-Quatro by Power Pro have been my favorite with 65 for 15-40 size models and 80lb for bigger models serving very well. Biggest model flown on 80lb is over 2kg with OS60FP. The big difference to steel is the weight which you feel when changing direction or flying corners when the inertia is lower.
Me and my sons only fly steel when our local rules prohibit Spectra like racing .
Regards Gerald

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2023, 11:24:49 AM »
I have found sources for everything related to moving to Spectra other that the line reels!  I want to make up several sets and I can't find reels at a reasonable price.  You would think, since most all of the braded lines come on the same type reel that you could buy some in bulk?  So, what are you Spectra folks using and where do you get them.  Once upon another lifetime I had a collection of 4" line reels from worn out lines.  Lost them a couple years back.  Can you wrap Spectra around a smaller reel?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2023, 11:41:32 AM »
I have found sources for everything related to moving to Spectra other that the line reels!  I want to make up several sets and I can't find reels at a reasonable price.  You would think, since most all of the braded lines come on the same type reel that you could buy some in bulk?  So, what are you Spectra folks using and where do you get them.  Once upon another lifetime I had a collection of 4" line reels from worn out lines.  Lost them a couple years back.  Can you wrap Spectra around a smaller reel?

Ken
You can buy empty line reels from MBS       https://mbsmodelsupply.com/Catalog.pdf    Same ones that Pylon/Sig/etc. lines come on.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2023, 12:30:49 PM »
You can buy empty line reels from MBS       https://mbsmodelsupply.com/Catalog.pdf    Same ones that Pylon/Sig/etc. lines come on.
Thanks - I went there but I couldn't find any est. on shipping on their site, you have to place an order and give them you credit card before you know what the shipping is.  It used to not matter but in today's crazy world it could be easily more than the order itself!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2023, 11:42:43 PM »
Thanks - I went there but I couldn't find any est. on shipping on their site, you have to place an order and give them you credit card before you know what the shipping is.  It used to not matter but in today's crazy world it could be easily more than the order itself!

Ken
Call him (Melvin) on the number on the site. His shipping is super reasonable (USPS) and he ships promptly.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2023, 04:24:04 AM »
Can you wrap Spectra around a smaller reel?

As its intended use is with fishing reels usually having a minimum spool diameter of 3/4 - 1" - I think you'd be hard pressed to find a smaller spool for storage!

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2023, 10:13:19 AM »
Ken,
Brodak (https://brodak.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=line+reels) has both the skinny SIG style and the wide line reels (like the old Windy reels). They are a bit expensive. Seems we could build reels from a couple circle end of lite-ply with a center from either sections of cardboard tube or PVC pipe cut to 3/4" wide and glued together with a section of 1" at the center to get your finger through for winding.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2023, 11:14:03 AM »
Ken,
Brodak (https://brodak.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=line+reels) has both the skinny SIG style and the wide line reels (like the old Windy reels). They are a bit expensive. Seems we could build reels from a couple circle end of lite-ply with a center from either sections of cardboard tube or PVC pipe cut to 3/4" wide and glued together with a section of 1" at the center to get your finger through for winding.

Best,    DennisT
I gave that some thought but if you dig deep enough on line eventually you find something.  I found the empty reels that they sell the line on for $1.50 each in quantities of 5.  Shipping $5 for the lot.  I ordered 10.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2023, 11:54:07 AM »
I gave that some thought but if you dig deep enough on line eventually you find something.  I found the empty reels that they sell the line on for $1.50 each in quantities of 5.  Shipping $5 for the lot.  I ordered 10.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Ken
Hi Ken,
Would you mind sharing your source with us?

Dennis

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2023, 12:59:45 PM »
If you have a 3d printer, there's reel files on thingiverse.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here