News:

• May 06, 2024, 04:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Col. Peck's Barracuda  (Read 1081 times)

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Col. Peck's Barracuda
« on: May 03, 2024, 02:55:44 PM »
Here's a picture of my Barracuda model as far as I got with it. Unfortunately because of long term mobility problems I recently decided to hang up my C/L handle for good. I donated the Cuda to a good friend last week who is a master painter. He intends to paint it; and if all the stars align it may even be at the US Nationals this year. It's a very unusual design and as far as I know only a couple of Cudas were built.

Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Online Sina Goudarzi

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
Re: Col. Peck's Barracuda
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 03:46:42 PM »
This might help.
sina
Sina

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 06:10:01 PM »
Yes, thanks for that Sina. I do have a color picture of the original Barracuda, which had an attractive paint scheme.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 06:33:27 PM »
Here's a picture of my Barracuda model as far as I got with it. Unfortunately because of long term mobility problems I recently decided to hang up my C/L handle for good. I donated the Cuda to a good friend last week who is a master painter. He intends to paint it; and if all the stars align it may even be at the US Nationals this year. It's a very unusual design and as far as I know only a couple of Cudas were built.

Thought that picture looked familiar. I built one in 1967.  Slightly larger stab mounted in line.  Johnson 35s (I was just a kid and didn't know I was supposed to be using a Fox 35). Flew extremely well but had a short life when a clevis broke on the elevator flap connection.  I-Beams realy *spalt* better than D-Tubes.  Nothing left to rebuild.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 07:00:00 PM »
I remember seeing John Pecks original Barracuda at Wynn Pauls house around 1972. Pearly white with some bright orange trim if I recall correctly.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 08:23:09 PM »
I remember seeing John Pecks original Barracuda at Wynn Pauls house around 1972. Pearly white with some bright orange trim if I recall correctly.

Yes, that's the information and picture I received from Wynn.

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 10:33:29 AM »
This morning Wes Eakin pointed out to me that the canopy on Wynn's Miss Lexington was very similar to the Barracuda.
Thanks for the picture Dennis because that's pretty much what I recall and I feel good about that!
I was also unaware that Mr Peck was a military guy or was that a nickname?
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 10:59:33 AM »
Thought that picture looked familiar. I built one in 1967.  Slightly larger stab mounted in line.  Johnson 35s (I was just a kid and didn't know I was supposed to be using a Fox 35). Flew extremely well but had a short life when a clevis broke on the elevator flap connection.  I-Beams realy *spalt* better than D-Tubes.  Nothing left to rebuild.

Ken

Ken, I recall  seeing only one other picture of a Cuda B&W in a magazine. IIRC, it was all black (or perhaps navy blue). Was that your?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 11:43:04 AM by Dennis Saydak »

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 11:39:56 AM »
This morning Wes Eakin pointed out to me that the canopy on Wynn's Miss Lexington was very similar to the Barracuda.
Thanks for the picture Dennis because that's pretty much what I recall and I feel good about that!
I was also unaware that Mr Peck was a military guy or was that a nickname?

The article introduces him as Kentucky Colonel Peck, so I'm assuming air force?

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2024, 12:51:20 PM »
Ken, I recall  seeing only one other picture of a Cuda B&W in a magazine. IIRC, it was all black (or perhaps navy blue). Was that your?
It was Navy blue and silver IIRC but I don't think I ever competed with it.  I was flying out of central Ohio back then.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 01:52:52 PM »
Here's more pics of of Dennis' Barracuda

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2024, 01:54:25 PM »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2024, 01:58:07 PM »

Online Sina Goudarzi

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2024, 02:39:36 PM »
Miss Lexington
Sina

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 07:30:24 PM »
During some emailing last night with Wynn I mentioned this thread and this was his reply about John.

"John Peck was an engineer at IBM as far as I can remember.  I never heard he or Lew McF talk
about him being in the military.  I visited him a couple of times at his home after I really got into the
hobby (probably sometime '64-'67 maybe) and watched him do some work on a plane - very meticulous as you might expect looking at the Barracuda and some others.
        He talked me through my first full stunt pattern at the back of Bluegrass Field Airport in Lex.
when we had two circles there.  I was flying a Magician with an upright Fox 35 (he recommended
that I covert to that for ease in starting, etc.).  Later, he gave me the Barracuda so I would have something good to fly, as at that time I was conducting two swim practices a day in the summer and
going to meets often.
          I think he got into RC toward the end of the '60s.  I always got the feeling that while he was a
better builder than Lew, he could not out fly him and this bugged him."

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:54:50 AM »
This may shed some light on  the definition of "Kentucky Col". John Peck must have earned that title in some way. It would be nice to know more. https://www.kycolonelcy.us/faq

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here