News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:18:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Animal Rescue" - Stunt Version Tom Dixon  (Read 375 times)

Offline Jim Catevenis

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
"Animal Rescue" - Stunt Version Tom Dixon
« on: April 04, 2024, 05:23:56 AM »
                                                                       “Animal Rescue” – Stunt Version

We are all familiar with appeals for “Pet Rescues.”  People put stickers on their cars saying they are a “Rescue Dog Mom.” You have seen them.

In our control line stunt section of the world there is a similar, if non-biological, need.  We need to “Rescue” useable engines for stunt and sport flying.  This matters, because exactly no one is manufacturing inexpensive, simple, plain bearing engines in the .30 to .46 size.  Fox is gone, Brodak engines are gone. OS MAX FP’s and LA’s are gone, at least in terms of getting brand new engines.

However, there are a lot of OS MAX FP and LA engines out there that were bought for use in R/C trainers or other moderate size R/C applications….And they do show up at swap meets and estate sales.  Most of them are in pretty good shape, but long “frozen up” due to congealed, solidified oil from fuel left in the engines for years. 

OS MAX LA’s, and especially FP’s, make excellent stunt engines with removal of the R/C Carb, and installation of a needle valve assembly and proper size venturi.  I also believe a simple cylinder timing change is needed too, but lots of people run them completely internally “stock.”

So, what I am asking, and encouraging people to do, is “Rescue” these engines when you see them, whether you need them or not. No one “needs” a rescue animal, but people do so because it serves a higher good.  In our case the higher good is to make engines available to new and re-tread control line modelers who don’t need a $500.00 pipe engine and do not want electric systems.

If you can clean up and re-hab these engines, please do so.  If you don’t want to do that work, please send them to me.  I can get them going for a fair price, or buy them from you, if you would rather.  In any case we need to “Rescue” these engines for the continuity of the sport.

If you have any questions about any of the above, or have engines that need to “Rescued,” please feel free to call me.

Tom Dixon
315 Santa Anita Ave
Woodstock GA   30189
(770) 592-3279

As info for those concerned about my placing this in the Open Forum section. Tom Dixon wrote this as an idea to make engines available to fliers who are starting out or re-entering the sport again. This is being done by Tom as a service and not a sales operation.

Jim Catevenis
JCAT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: "Animal Rescue" - Stunt Version Tom Dixon
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 10:46:32 AM »
So far I have given away planes with engines to people that they must fly them or if they don't want to give them to some one who will fly them.  So far only one person has sent video of flying plane he was given.  Every one of these planes just need some fuel to loosen them up and fly.  Maybe need to clean filter or change plug.   One person thought he should disassemble the plane engine combo and when he put it back together he had problems which turned out to be bad fuel.   I have had planes hang on the hook for a couple of years and when I took them to fly all it took was a little fuel to loosen up qnd slightly rich run to get them back to flying condition.  I still have some that have not been flown and need some tender loving to get them ready for flight. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here