News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:12:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable Handle  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Adjustable Handle
« on: December 17, 2021, 01:02:10 PM »
The subject of adjustable handles has recently appeared on another thread in the classified section.

Here is an example of one where the up and down trim is adjustable prior to flight.  In flight, the line spacing can be adjusted as well as the position of the lines relative to the center of the handle can be adjusted.  Good for initial flights.  A bit bulky for extended use, but good for transferring settings for a custom handle, tailored to a specific airplane.

As far as I know, this is no longer being made.

Keith

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Adjustable Handle
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 06:00:44 PM »
Looks like a version of the handles that Burt Brokaw was making with that adjustment mechanism back in the '90's.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 07:05:46 PM »
Looks like a version of the handles that Burt Brokaw was making with that adjustment mechanism back in the '90's.

I do not think Burt made these.  He had a contact, I think somewhere in the Northwest that made them. 

Keith

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »
 I mentioned  this handle in the "handle  for sale" section
  Big Jim sent this to  Bill Rich to copy but Bill's hand was to big for it so he had some much larger versions made but they were to heavy so they did not get much use. I traded Bill a motor for it and here it is after all these years.
 I always liked this handle as it fit my hand perfect. I used hard point handles but this one still works good. It is adjustable in flight by the thumb screw on one side.
Ed
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 07:09:53 PM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 04:31:41 PM »
Bottom line - Does anybody out there have one of these adjustable handle things that they are willing to part with/sell?  I get so little flight time now and I hate it when I have time for three flights, and I am still adjusting the handle when I have to go.

I want one to trim the plane then use it as a template for a permanent for that plane.

Barring that, is there a set of "plans" to make one?  Pictures here are worth 900 words, I need 1000! LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »
I send you handles and you just burn them up.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 05:16:32 PM »
I send you handles and you just burn them up.
No, those were Vortex Generators and had they been taller they would have diverted the fire and saved my shop.  Or not.... LL~

Ken
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:45:36 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 05:45:02 AM »
Almost every handle I've seen has way too much overhang and is way too heavy. The Easy Just handle has it right except for the cable and non adjustable..
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 07:23:55 AM »
My handle pictured above in not very large as my hand just fits in it. It is the close to a small hot rock. The new feather weight handles never felt correct in my hand. I  changed the cable one with one I got from Windy. It does not wear out the cable, but it has been used for classic size models all the time I have had it since around 1985
 Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 07:32:43 AM »
My handle pictured above in not very large as my hand just fits in it. It is the close to a small hot rock. The new feather weight handles never felt correct in my hand. I  changed the cable one with one I got from Windy. It does not wear out the cable, but it has been used for classic size models all the time I have had it since around 1985
 Ed
Probably too small.  "Back in the Day" I used the small Hot Rock for combat and the large one for Stunt.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 08:13:35 AM »

Barring that, is there a set of "plans" to make one?  Pictures here are worth 900 words, I need 1000!

Ken,

I can send you a page plan out of an April 1983 magazine, not sure which, of the "Paul-Robbert Superhandle" (!).  It's like the one Eddie pictures above but with another pair of knurled knobs in place of the springs to eliminate the play in the adjustment screws.  It's 1M.  If you want it, send me your email address by PM.
AMA 10663

Offline Alexey Gorbunov

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 11:35:59 AM »
Some of my work

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 01:43:55 PM »
i have one of those u can have for shipping cost
rad racer

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 03:13:39 PM »
i have one of those u can have for shipping cost
Sent you a PM

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 04:10:48 PM »
I mentioned  this handle in the "handle  for sale" section
  Big Jim sent this to  Bill Rich to copy but Bill's hand was to big for it so he had some much larger versions made but they were to heavy so they did not get much use. I traded Bill a motor for it and here it is after all these years.
 I always liked this handle as it fit my hand perfect. I used hard point handles but this one still works good. It is adjustable in flight by the thumb screw on one side.
Ed

That is the second version of the Baron handle, with the injection-molded grip. The originals had a hand-cut nylon grip.  I used those for a long time, but the hard-point type gives better control feel.

I am sure you know this, but for others, any sort of cable handle like this, you need to push the cable back through the hole and inspect it before every flying session, because the cable is notorious for breaking with fatigue - usually where it makes the turn from the clamp to the slider, but sometimes where it comes out of the slider. Heavy cable tends to be much more prone to failure in the curve, thinner cable breaks at the exit of the slider.

Brett

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 07:46:23 PM »
   That is the second version of the Baron handle, with the injection-molded grip. The originals had a hand-cut nylon grip.  I used those for a long time, but the hard-point type gives better control feel.

I am sure you know this, but for others, any sort of cable handle like this, you need to push the cable back through the hole and inspect it before every flying session, because the cable is notorious for breaking with fatigue - usually where it makes the turn from the clamp to the slider, but sometimes where it comes out of the slider. Heavy cable tends to be much more prone to failure in the curve, thinner cable breaks at the exit of the slider.

Brett

When it comes to cable for handles, there's cable, then there's cable and then there is cable!! In making my own adjustable handles over the years, I have tried all sorts of different cable, and found that it does vary quite a bit. I have settled pretty much on bicycle control cables, and even those can vary quite a bit in how flexible they are. I like cable that is 1/16" in diameter and as flexible as possible and no coating of any kind. Since I have been using this type of cable I have never seen any of mine start to loose strands like some other "control cable" types that I have used. When I see that I change it out. In the past year or so, I saw Mark Hughes loose a model to handle cable breaking. It was some stuff he acquired from some one else, but it was that small diameter cable with a green plastic coating that Windy used to sell, I think. It was being used on Mark's old red Macchi that he had taken off the wall out of necessity and we worked on trimming it out and fixed the flaws that caused him to hang it up 20 years ago. On it's last flight, Mark pulled inverted on the reverse wing over and the down line broke, then almost immediately, the up line got loaded and it broke. The result was spectacular but depressing! Both cables had broken right at the slider. The cable had been fraying but couldn't be seen because it was contained by the green coating. Needless to say that the rest of the cable like that he had went away, and so did any that I had in my stash. Having it in the open like it is on these types of handles makes it really easy to take a quick check on them. hard point handles eliminate that, but I'm still experimenting with those  to see how I like them. I have a handle and lines for every operable model I own, so doing a whole sale change over could get time consuming and expensive! But I am converting a lot of them over the straight up configuration instead of the bias type like I have been using since forever. As I have been getting using them and liking the straight up handle, every time I get another older model off the wall to fly it, I am finding I have to completely retrim  the airplane and the change that handle to straight up style. I have figured out how to take the old biased handles and re work them into straight up style, so those won't go to waste.  After After almost 30 years of flying stunt I think I may be finally getting a handle on handles!
   Type at  you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 03:22:15 PM »
I shot this video several years ago, I have since added more handles to my collection!

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 03:46:23 PM »
Dan is right you want to inspect you lines and handles. I have larger cable that I use on the handles. Whenever I get a used handle I will remove the old cable, clean it up and put a new cable on it before I fly with it.

I also pull test the handle after I am done to at least 100 lbs before I use it

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline M. Scott

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 05:17:00 PM »
I still make the Big D handles..... working on  a new batch for VSC. Let me know if
I need to bring extras.
Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here