News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Action at TT Dallas  (Read 11786 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Action at TT Dallas
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »
Congrats guys!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »
Here are some pictures of finals day.  There were two stories today, the weather and round 3.  There was a 25 degree drop in temperature from Saturday and an increase in wind from 8-10 mph to 15-18 mph.  Fortunately, we were spared any rain.  The wind was treacherous and the flyers earned every point that the judges awarded to them.  There were some special accommodations instituted on landings due to the wind.  One was the use of "plane catchers" to prevent the planes from self destructing after they had stopped rolling.  Frank McMillan lost his plane.  Yesterday, he suffered a confrontation with the ground.  We had hoped his overnight repair work would allow him to finish the contest.  Unfortunately, some unseen (thus unrepaired) damage in the wing led to the plane's demise shortly after the beginning of his first flight on Sunday.  At the end of round 2, Chris Rud and Richard Oliver were comfortably ensconced in first and second place respectively.  Round 3 turned into a duel between Joe Gilbert and Kenny Stevens for the third position.  Joe switched from his blue piped ship to his Ringmaster at the end of round 1.  He felt that the Ringmaster would work better in the prevailing wind.  He put up a very good third flight in the tough conditions and held on to win out over Kenny.  Kenny put up a valiant effort, but came up just a little short.

The US team will sport a junior flyer in 2018.  Samantha Hines will be representing the US of A in France next year.  Congratulations Samantha.

The 2018 F2B new senior team members will be Chris Rud, Richard Oliver, and Joe Gilbert.  The first alternate is Kenny Stevens.  Very well done gentlemen!  We had an unexpected appearance by Orestes Hernandez, so I was able to get a picture of all the USA flyers.  Good luck to all in France.

Any successful event has been the result of a team of individuals, many of whom are behind the scenes.  Many thanks on a job well done go out to Frank Williams the judges and all those workers required to host one of these events.

I'll put up the awards and team member pictures in a following post.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »
Here are my remaining photo from finals day.

Joe

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:36 PM »
Chris was struggling a bit to hoist the high-point trophy over his head.  Dude, you need to hit the bench press a bit more  LL~

Big congrats to Chris, Rich, Joe, Samantha, Kenny, and everyone else who put up flights and braved the winds.  I was exhausted just watching!

It’s always a treat to fly with the good folks of Dallas; better still to hang out with the out-of-towners, some of whom I have not seen in a very long time.  Throw in the the opportunity to participate in the team trials and it was a blast of a weekend!  Safe travels to everyone driving/flying home!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:34:12 PM by Sean McEntee »

Offline B Norton

• B-NO
  • 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »
Congrats to the whole team and a special thanks to Dave for the fantastic reports .

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
OK, I talked to Howard. I didn't want to push to hard, as he must gave been feeling quite bad. I know I would have been.

My question is why didn't anyone help him out and get a new set of lines made along with a handle?
Sorry for the delay-just got back to KC.  I did not know about whatever problem Howard had.  I had no solid wire but sure could have made a new set of stranded.  I had just assumed he decided not to tempt Mother Nature as had others.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
Congrats to the whole team and a special thanks to Dave for the fantastic reports .
Pleased to be of service-but honestly hoped to be otherwise preoccupied.
AMA 20934

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2017, 07:53:36 PM »
 Congrats to all, I knew Chris' day would come at some point. An extra congrats to Samantha too, it's especially cool to see a U.S. gal make her way to the WC's. Thank for the excellent coverage here too guys.

Now, has anyone ever flown a Ringmaster in world competition?  ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
I did not know about whatever problem Howard had.  I had no solid wire but sure could have made a new set of stranded.  I had just assumed he decided not to tempt Mother Nature as had others.

What happened with Howard?

Wayne Willey

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2017, 05:05:05 AM »
Congrats to all! No Doug moon?
AMA 12366

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »
Brett,
I talked to Howard and told him that Paul and I would arrive on Thursday around noon.  I found out what he needs and will bring it with us.  I even have a somewhat similar handle to what he likes.  He is going to contact me if he he thinks of anything else.
Alan

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2017, 07:31:38 AM »
Congrats to all, I knew Chris' day would come at some point. An extra congrats to Samantha too, it's especially cool to see a U.S. gal make her way to the WC's. Thank for the excellent coverage here too guys.

Now, has anyone ever flown a Ringmaster in world competition?  ;D
Just to be clear,  this is not an S1 Ringmaster.  It's a full- flapped Stunt airplane shaped to LOOK like a Ringmaster.
AMA 20934

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2017, 08:04:40 AM »
Howard's lines.  From what I heard he had been flying Saturday night and left his box with his handle and lines at the field.  The next morning it was gone.  Our field is adjacent to a public park and many people, including many homeless, have access to our field all the time.  If anything that is perceived to have any value is found there it will be taken.  It really is sad that people can't just leave what isn't theirs alone, and it really makes me mad at the same time.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2017, 08:32:49 AM »
Congrats to all the team members and wish you the best in France.

The Tulsa gang is really proud of our own Joe Gilbert, way to go Joe...

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2017, 06:59:25 PM »
Just to be clear,  this is not an S1 Ringmaster.  It's a full- flapped Stunt airplane shaped to LOOK like a Ringmaster.

Yup, and a bigger "576" I believe, and the kicker is the guy on the handle.

Wayne Willey

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »
I was searching for something on stuka stunt and---- inside a grass seed for CL circle thread -----back in April 2004, was a comment about flying in Oklahoma vs California...Tornado (wind) vs Earthquake  back n forth banter

I do not know any of these guys except what I read on the forums

BUT I thought it interesting what De Hill said quoted below

"No. But we do know how to fly in the wind.

One of our new members(Joe Gilbert) flew a Fox .35 powered ARF Nobler at the VSC in Tucson on that windy sunday. He survived and placed 19th. Not bad for an Intermediate flyer.

De Hill"

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #166 on: November 12, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
I remember Joe flying in that wind the year I was holding my pit box and plane down in the pit area.  He stated that day was a chance to make top 20 at VSC.   He has improved through the years and is a contender no matter where he goes. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here