News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:45:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Academy of Model Aeronautics promotes ... Model Aeronautics?!?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Academy of Model Aeronautics promotes ... Model Aeronautics?!?
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:16:24 PM »
Am I missing something here?

AMA Expo West - an activity of AMA - includes:

Boats
   RC Cars
   Trains
… and don't forget the AMA Expo West Cup for Drone Racing.

I spent many years in public accounting and consulting.  In taking on a new client, I almost always asked the owner/manager "What makes you different from the guy down the block offering the same products or services?".  Truth is, most answered they never thought about that.

I submit that anyone running a business or organization ought to give a great deal of thought to their purpose and objectives.  And I further submit that simply growing a business or organization isn't much of a goal at all when you lose track of your purpose.

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Academy of Model Aeronautics promotes ... Model Aeronautics?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »
Am I missing something here?

AMA Expo West - an activity of AMA - includes:

Boats
   RC Cars
   Trains
… and don't forget the AMA Expo West Cup for Drone Racing.

You aren't missing anything, and I think they are pretty clear on what their goals are. They might not be the same goals you and I have.

Brett

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »
Certainly makes me glad I quit that once-great outfit after 65 years of membership.  They have truly "lost their way".

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »
Dennis
Well said.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:12:33 PM »
I have seen 3 different flyers for the Expo so far. Two different ones were attached to the magazine, and one was recently mailed to me along with a letter by the AMA. I am my club's point of contact for AMA business, so I get the club mail.

The first one leads with "R/C activities" and photos of some 3D planes. Top billing is "...RC Model and Hobby Event." Between the graphics and the text it next bills R/C cars, racing drones (significantly, not camera "platforms"), "Control Line," R/C Boats, Garden Train, Exhibit Hall & Indoor Flying. Working your way down the text, it then mentions R/C Helicopters, Paper Airplanes and some other stuff.  They have the Knight's of the Round Circle logo along with lots of other logos, which seem to all be for companies, not clubs or organizations. There may be one or two other organizations, but I didn't recognize the names.

So while I may disagree with the AMA business approach on drones, yada yada, yada, it looks like a good agenda for an expo. Go and see lots of hobby stuff that concentrates on things that fly. There aren't a lot of control line guys compared to R/C airplanes, so I don't expect to lead the bill. but we were not excluded. My understanding is that the control line area was expanded due to this change of venue. They have more space and we get some of it. The AMA marketing partner lead, Erin Dobbs, sent a package with extra flyers to help clubs promote what we do. She is asking (counting?) for help to run the Control Line activities.

So the only question in my mind is do we opt out so we can get down to doing some serious complaining about not being a major part of it, or can we get enough guys to do something at the show. Our choice....

Dave
VCB

PS--I would think the worst thing we could do for ourselves is to play along like we are interested and then not show up. I know it is hard to find enough guys to keep activities staffed for three days. I know I can't support at that level. I generally don't go to anything that has crowds. I just don't like crowds. But this may be the year I support control line at the Expo. Anybody else?

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »
I respectfully disagree, Dave.

Fifteen or twenty years ago, it might have seemed AMA staff were literally ready to pounce on a phone call or email to quickly assist members.  It was almost beyond belief in my opinion.

My most recent inquiry was by email directed to two staff members who should have been in a good position to answer a request for info.  That was perhaps 18 months ago.  When no response came within 6 to 8 weeks as I recall, I submitted the request to a higher level - president or executive director.

When the effort to grow by including other hobby activities results in greatly diminished service to the people whose needs originally justified the organization, the whole purpose is lost.

When AMA leadership decides to cover golfing and tennis too, we might all decide there has to be a better solution for us.

Dennis

I have seen 3 different flyers for the Expo so far. Two different ones were attached to the magazine, and one was recently mailed to me along with a letter by the AMA. I am my club's point of contact for AMA business, so I get the club mail.

The first one leads with "R/C activities" and photos of some 3D planes. Top billing is "...RC Model and Hobby Event." Between the graphics and the text it next bills R/C cars, racing drones (significantly, not camera "platforms"), "Control Line," R/C Boats, Garden Train, Exhibit Hall & Indoor Flying. Working your way down the text, it then mentions R/C Helicopters, Paper Airplanes and some other stuff.  They have the Knight's of the Round Circle logo along with lots of other logos, which seem to all be for companies, not clubs or organizations. There may be one or two other organizations, but I didn't recognize the names.

So while I may disagree with the AMA business approach on drones, yada yada, yada, it looks like a good agenda for an expo. Go and see lots of hobby stuff that concentrates on things that fly. There aren't a lot of control line guys compared to R/C airplanes, so I don't expect to lead the bill. but we were not excluded. My understanding is that the control line area was expanded due to this change of venue. They have more space and we get some of it. The AMA marketing partner lead, Erin Dobbs, sent a package with extra flyers to help clubs promote what we do. She is asking (counting?) for help to run the Control Line activities.

So the only question in my mind is do we opt out so we can get down to doing some serious complaining about not being a major part of it, or can we get enough guys to do something at the show. Our choice....

Dave
VCB

PS--I would think the worst thing we could do for ourselves is to play along like we are interested and then not show up. I know it is hard to find enough guys to keep activities staffed for three days. I know I can't support at that level. I generally don't go to anything that has crowds. I just don't like crowds. But this may be the year I support control line at the Expo. Anybody else?
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »
The present AMA leadership can't really do anything to assist me in my hobby activities.  I can get along very well without their help.  I maintain membership only so I can enter contests.  Otherwise, they can promote anything they want. 
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 01:12:26 PM »
The present AMA leadership can't really do anything to assist me in my hobby activities.  I can get along very well without their help.  I maintain membership only so I can enter contests.  Otherwise, they can promote anything they want.

"Can't" or "Won't"? Our guys tried to get help from the "Flying Site" division of AMA and got zero. If it's not R/C, with lots of members, we came to conclude that they don't give a rat's butt.  R%%%%  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »

Hello Must be the same world over for those of us that fly control line. Our controlling body Model Flying New Zealand (was better named as NZMAA in the past) has other interests at heart other then C/L but does provide insurance and a sort of Nationals event plus a Magazine, other then that we use special interest groups to run control line flying. After 28 years as secretary treasurer for our club and having helped in public Expo/Show events in the past all I can say is I'm over it and will not prop up 'general' MFNZ events again.

Regards Gerald

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »
In case it's escaped your attention, what we have in Muncie today is a bunch of Money Managers heading-up an over-inflated payroll dedicated to drones and imported foam ARFs.  They have NO CLUE about what real aeromodeling is about.

And what's so great about SANCTIONED contests?  Why not hold a few without their blessing?  It's not a big deal!!!

I know: I'll take some heat over this - but isn't it about time someone stood up and said "Who needs 'em?"

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
I've done it in the past. Local get together type meets.   Mostly balloon burst type meets. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
I've always had great relationships with the AMA.

Well, the 80's anyway, help with field qualifications, never claims.

They are trying to helping us in Florida.

https://contentsharing.net/actions/email_web_version.cfm?ep=p2HTLzFPkjRTG5wt8zKhyKPaSqLzhCZGa5bZU4U-dC7G26-p1NaBNiVeB1Y4sX3iXyUxyWOA24cqD9czczo63maaj6760ErfoJxTaZyK64XxTzZUppzItj-zbtSqbUS2

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here