News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:13:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ACAD plans available  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Pat Johnston

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
ACAD plans available
« on: January 11, 2021, 07:03:43 PM »
I have about 250 ACAD plans which are mostly all in the Stunt genre. Also, I’m getting old (67) and in the event that something catastrophic happened, I would want the plans files to be available to whoever would like to make use of them. This also means that the acad format would need to be converted into a pdf format (a separate folder) for those wishing to make their own paper plots. Not such a big deal, that.
I guess the question is how to do this. Would a separate section on this forum be the way to do it?  Possibly called Free Plans??? What do you think?  Also, and especially what does Sparky think?
Pat Johnston
Head Design
Skunk Works

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Re: ACAD plans available
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 10:05:40 PM »
I have about 400 control line plans in pdf format and have been preparing to list them on eBay again, then here.  I probably have about 1,000 printed, folded plans ready to go.  Have a great setup with a printer too.  But I'm 80 and probably won't be around as long as you will.

My perspective is that many (but not all) of the plans are available in pdf form here and there - I'm simply offering a service of (1) cleaning up the raw files and correcting size where (often) necessary, (2) having them printed and labeled, and (3) mailing them directly to the end user.  I've purchased several of your plans, Pat - they are nothing less than works of art.  I think commercial printers who print architectural drawings, for example, can print your ACAD files as they are - I'm virtually certain my printer can.

I would guess most here who use a couple or three plans don't want to mess with having them printed - then again, I'm often wrong.

Looking forward to what others have to say.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 10:44:19 PM »
Send them to Outerzone/Aerofred/Hippocket.  They are all plan repositories.
MAAC 8177

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:31:06 AM »
Send them to Outerzone/Aerofred/Hippocket.  They are all plan repositories.

Second that. If you don't want to sell them to somebody.
Outerzone usually posts PDF files - and CAD files as supplements, if available. The more places they are stored, the better chance of long term preservation.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 07:47:45 AM »
Pat,

I have a plans page for our club, and we expect to be around for a while.  If you like we can set up and archive so the plans can made available. 

https://www.circlemasters.com/plans-page.html
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 12:01:49 PM »
I work exclusively in Autocad and I certainly could use them. I think they would better suited to be posted here because, they could get "buried" in Outerzone.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 12:16:07 PM »
I agree. Post them here for those that can use them, without them getting lost.  Years ago, you had sent me a few cad drawings you did - top-notch quality, and well laid out. You do good work.

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 12:37:24 PM »
While “relatively” few people frequent this board, the whole world frequents Outerzone/Aerofred/Hippocket. You can not “bury” a plan on these services, this is why they exist. Put the link here and save a ton of storage.

Kim

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 03:18:50 PM »
I agree. Post them here for those that can use them, without them getting lost.  Years ago, you had sent me a few cad drawings you did - top-notch quality, and well laid out. You do good work.

Yes, Pats work is top notch. Too good for the masses lol. ;D
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »
Aerofred also has a paypal "donate"  button for the uploader, so you might get some money from time to time.

If you put them on here, then someone else will end up putting them there, and they will be the one who gets the donations :)

Outerzone is the most "open" of the three, the other two require you to sign up before downloading. It is free, but is an extra step.
MAAC 8177

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
Re: ACAD plans available (PAMPA Stunt News equivelent)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 05:10:22 PM »
During one of our recent "At the bench" video chat sessions, Bob Hunt raised a suggestion that working with sparky and the PAMPA team we create a sub forum which can be formatted to allow the uploading construction articles and other newsletter like content. Properly done it can be a substitute for the discontinued Stunt News newsletter. Details would need to be worked out as to whether content would require payment or not. Bob suggested that any charges to access the content would be applied to the costs of hosting the Stunt Hangar website. Bob volunteered to administer the sub forum and donate content. All of the guys participating that video chat thought it was a wonderful Idea. It seems to me that a sub forum like this would be a great place to host the plans you would like to offer. There are a few of us out here that have AutoCad who could help in the conversion of the AutoCad files to a PDF format and of course any accompanying construction article would be great. So I ask the community what do they think of the Idea. Of course Rusty would have to be fully for the creation of the sub forum as this is his domain and as such he is the guy paying the bills. I think it could be a great additional revenue stream as well as providing a great repository for the control line community.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 10:24:10 PM »
If you want something available to a select group, put it in a special section here. If you want it available to all, and to maximize chances of preservation, also put it on one or more of the general plans sites.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 02:51:12 AM »
I've been selling plans off and on for 20 years; partly based on that, a few comments:

(1) There should be a way for Pat to receive at least some remuneration.  Trust me, there are hours and hours of work involved.

(2) The idea of an easily-accessed repository is great - but we shouldn't ask Sparky to take on more without some financial support, should we?  Dave Siegler: How much storage space does your club have available?  Would there be additional costs involved?

(3) Many of you don't want to hear or acknowledge this, but we here represent a drop in the bucket of the potential market.  Ask me how I know, LOL!  I have sold nearly a dozen plans to a buyer smack dab in an area where I lived for 3 years.  I've told him about great contests nearby, great flying sites, great people I met and know there.  Clubs.  NO INTEREST.

This is just one example.  There are many who enjoy building and possibly flying who have little or no interest in camaraderie, clubs, contests.  They purchase a lot of plans!  I have a couple of friends right in my area who like to build and purchase plans and kits from me but never come out to fly.

(4) There may be several here who are perfectly comfortable with CAD files, but some of my buyers have their hands (?) full with printed plans and very few are looking for even pdf files.  What I and others sell on eBay is largely convenience.

How about a "perfect" solution: Someone much younger than me, or a group, purchases or obtains the files from Pat and then offers for sale either (a) plan files or (b) printed plans on a site with traffic, such as eBay?  If Pat "donates" his files, a Royalty to him on each sale?  If the plan files are freely given or even sold at minimum prices, expect to see several eBay sellers offering printed plans!  :)

Just some thoughts ... I started offering several Musciano plans 20 years ago.  If I've made 2 cents an hour for the effort it would be shocking, but it's nice to see them continuing to be available, and Pat's are some of the very best we'll see anywhere.

Dennis,
hoping this makes sense, it's 4 in the morning!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 12:14:27 PM »
I second Bob Hunt's suggestion.

In any case, hanger flying with a set of plans rolled out on the family room floor in the winter months are a great source of entertainment and enjoyment while I wait for flying season to start up.

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 12:27:43 PM »
I don't know a lot about it, but what about the AMA plans service?  Could they not host your CAD drawing collection and provide royalties to you and your heirs.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 01:33:43 PM »
During one of our recent "At the bench" video chat sessions, Bob Hunt raised a suggestion that working with sparky and the PAMPA team we create a sub forum which can be formatted to allow the uploading construction articles and other newsletter like content. Properly done it can be a substitute for the discontinued Stunt News newsletter. Details would need to be worked out as to whether content would require payment or not. Bob suggested that any charges to access the content would be applied to the costs of hosting the Stunt Hangar website. Bob volunteered to administer the sub forum and donate content. All of the guys participating that video chat thought it was a wonderful Idea. It seems to me that a sub forum like this would be a great place to host the plans you would like to offer. There are a few of us out here that have AutoCad who could help in the conversion of the AutoCad files to a PDF format and of course any accompanying construction article would be great. So I ask the community what do they think of the Idea. Of course Rusty would have to be fully for the creation of the sub forum as this is his domain and as such he is the guy paying the bills. I think it could be a great additional revenue stream as well as providing a great repository for the control line community.

Sounds good to me generally, with concern for (1) not burdening forum host with additional cost, (2) hopefully some remuneration to designer, (3) thoughts on printed plans others will sell, and (4) realization there are many builders/flyers who never see the forums.

I don't think it's reasonable for anyone - including myself - to offer printed plans when the designer himself sells them, and I see a lot of Pat's designs listed on eBay.  Don't know if that's OK with him, but it is something to think out.

Anyone who offers to take on the job should have a lot to say about how it's handled!

:)
Dennis

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 05:33:31 PM »
I think what Pat has done for the stunt community by making AutoCAD plans is great. I believe that a place in Stunt Hanger is the best idea where a person wanting a plan either DWG or PDF could be downloaded and they take it to be printed at their place of choice. If they can't find a place to print the plan then a print fee and mailing could be a cost to them.

Roger Greene
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 07:34:37 PM »

Sounds good to me generally, with concern for (1) not burdening forum host with additional cost, (2) hopefully some remuneration to designer, (3) thoughts on printed plans others will sell, and (4) realization there are many builders/flyers who never see the forums.

I don't think it's reasonable for anyone - including myself - to offer printed plans when the designer himself sells them, and I see a lot of Pat's designs listed on eBay.  Don't know if that's OK with him, but it is something to think out.

Anyone who offers to take on the job should have a lot to say about how it's handled!

:) The plan would not be a financial burden to Sparky, If set up properly in concert with PAMPA participation revenue generated woould actually help cover hosting costs. Obviously if the contributor of plans or articles wishes to have some form of compensation that would have to be worked out, as well as upload size restrictions figured out. Full size plans uploaded can exceed the current limitation or a seperate google drive account set up to store the full size plans and only a reduced lower resolution set stored on this forum. These are details I am confident can be worked out. As I mentioned perhaps this can be discussed in further detail during our Friday "At the Bench" chat as we need input from Bob and Sparky.
Dennis
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 12:12:58 AM »
Are we looking for a financial solution or a preservation solution?

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 01:12:17 AM »
From Pats original post he is looking for a preservation solution.

How to organise them on the forum is beyond me but of course it could be done.

That, presumably, will cost something for somebody to do it. A nominal fee, say $3-$5 for each plan to download should easily cover the set up outlay. Maintenance, of course, is another question.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 05:40:26 AM »
How many years of preservation would you expect if they are kept here only?

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 07:44:04 AM »
It is not what I want. I have no dog in this fight.

The gentleman stated he didn't want his plans to disappear into the ether!

My suggestion was one that confirmed it would be possible to put them on the forum, if Robert wanted to. I explained there would be an associated cost in doing so which should be offset.

If Pat wants to give them to Outerzone and everybody can access them for free that is his decision.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 08:27:03 AM »
Permanent file preservation on a forum based platform is not very realistic.  If the defunct Stuka Stunt forum has taught us anything about longevity and access to uploaded historical information on a forum, it is that access to those uploaded files (and the forum itself) can disappear in an instant. 
Open source type plans sites would probably broaden world wide user access and increase interest over the long term,... well beyond the remaining life expectancy of the majority of our aging community.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:57:53 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 12:35:01 PM »
I have been looking at ways to archive CAD drawings and it isn't as easy as software.  There is no CAD versions of GIT   

There are some general CAD archive sites but they have lots of CAD items in it. 

My suggestions is to use Bob Mears (combat guy) that took over the old Barry Baxter site.  This will assure it will be around for a while
While he sells plans, I don't think he is getting rich, its a hobby for him,

http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here