News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:00:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rats Drat Dang Darn!!!!!!!  (Read 3106 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Rats Drat Dang Darn!!!!!!!
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »
OK how many times do I have to tell myself, when flying inverted UP IS DOWN AND DOWN IS UP!!!!!!  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>   HB~>   HB~>  HB~>   HB~>   HB~>  HB~>  HB~>   HB~>   HB~>   HB~>   HB~>   HB~>   HB~>   HB~>   HB~>   HB~>   HB~>   HB~>  HB~>

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rats Drat Dang Darn!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »
Never.  One of the pattern guys who used to write a column for Flying Models always described maneuvers in terms of "canopy" and "wheels".  "Up" is where you want to go.  "Toward the canopy" or "toward the wheels" is how you get there, and should be obvious given the situation.

My inverted flying (both RC and control line) got much, much easier after I started thinking this way.  I still do, although now I think "inside" and "outside".  Take your pick, just don't think "up" or "down" when you're thinking control directions.

I had to retrain myself -- tilt your wrist back, and think "canopy" to yourself.  Then tilt it forward and think "wheels".  Do that a lot.  Then get a plane that you don't much care about and do it out in the field (this is why I started thinking in terms of "inside" and "outside" -- "I'm gonna do an inside loop" is much more natural than "I'm gonna do a canopy-ward loop").
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
         Tim , I think thats some pretty good advice. I've been telling one of the guys to just give it down if you think your in trouble and let it fly around until its upright. It always results in the picture shown above. Maybe, this will allow his mind to think a bit differently. It just makes good sense. Ken

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »
Never talk to yourself when flying, its distracting and causes crashes.

I usually wait until I land to talk to my self. That may be considered crazy but not distracting.

Mainly I just don't listen to what I have to say. Wife taught me that. n~

Divad
David
David Roland

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »

I usually wait until I land to talk to my self. That may be considered crazy but not distracting.

Mainly I just don't listen to what I have to say. Wife taught me that. n~

Divad
David

HMMM, My wife taught me to never listen to myself while I'm talking, so I talk to myself while I fly, but I ignore myself at the same time.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »
Boy would Yogi have fun with this one  LL~ LL~ LL~
Leester
ama 830538

Dwayne

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »
This is some good stuff...lol  LL~  It's amazing what you can do when motivated.!!  y1 y1 It's just sheeted on one side and not glued in place should have the bellcrank in before I go to bed.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 06:46:30 PM »
Most excellent!!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
Great Job  #^ #^ y1 y1
Leester
ama 830538

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
Great Job  #^ #^ y1 y1
Yes that was a great job of crashing! :##
Look like the perfect angle was used in combination with proper speed.

Dwayne, I bet I can crash better than you! y1
Only on Sundays though.

So far repair looks good, in no time at all you will be able to do it again. Well that's how I do it.

David
David Roland

Dwayne

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 08:19:21 PM »
Thanks David yes it took a great deal of skill to crash just enough to break the wing and elevator and nothing else heck I did'nt even break the spinner!...lol  LL~ LL~
This has to be with out a doubt the fastest repair I've ever done all need to do is paint the elevator the center section and it's ready for $koat.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:22:19 AM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »
Ha!
You should see how good I am with Shoestrings and Busters! :X

I am getting real good a quick repairs....almost daily improvements. HB~>

Is that a Mongoose wing?
David Roland

Offline Jerry Leuty

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 08:49:44 PM »
  Unless the crash is sort of minor, which yours was not, I normally get the good stuff out and trash the rest. I don't usually rebuild to many planes these days. I have about 10 or so to fly and more to build. But I do admire those who do rebuild their crashed projects. I have crashed a couple of full bodied  stunt planes this summer and I have an Oriental that needs the F-1 bulkhead reinstalled after my flying handle broke in two pieces causing an inside loop crash. Perhaps I will get that done in the next week or so. I love this sport. I really do believe that you can have too many planes just laying around. I have given a couple away too. Before you get too excited and offer to take some more planes off my hands let explain. Mike Gibson out in Abilene, Texas helps young boys in trouble find a positive direction for their lives through modeling. He can use all the spare planes that he can get. Most of the Dallas club members have 30 or more planes lying around. I like flying stunt. Therefore if one is going to be any good at it they need to get one type of model and build and fly that for awhile. Right now for me that would be the Oriental. I am working on a full fuselage version. That will give me 2 profile and 2 full fuselage planes that fly somewhat a like. Now to get in some stick time while the weather is great in north Texas these days.

OBTW, if you live in the Dallas area or can drive there withing a couple of hours, come on out to the flying site this weekend for our fall stunt clinic and Sunday contest. I will be judging stunt on Sunday. Don't forget to fly your Ring Master this weekend and let Dee Rice know how many flights you and your buddies put up.

Jerry

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 12:20:37 AM »
   The best way to relate to the controls when learning to fly inverted, is to think of Top Control  and Bottom Control, not down and up. No matter what the orientation of the model, top and bottom are the same. The handle is the same also, it has a bottom and a top. The rest is strictly practice, and holding your hand in a manor that is comfortable for you. It helps to have an "expendable" model to learn on, and do your flying in that mythical field of tall grass to cushion your mistakes. With proper help, devote an entire day or evening to the ndeavor and you'll have it mastered.
  Good luck and have fun.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 03:23:44 AM »
This is some good stuff...lol  LL~  It's amazing what you can do when motivated.!!  y1 y1 It's just sheeted on one side and not glued in place should have the bellcrank in before I go to bed.
Nice light wing. Looks like maybe I need to quit saying "up is down; down is up" when flying inverted. Trouble is, I been saying that for about 30 years LL~ I agree with the tall grass...just don't pick the side of a hill. H^^
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Dwayne

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 06:40:26 AM »

Is that a Mongoose wing?
[/quote]

No it's a Bi-Slob wing good thing it has two...lol y1 n~

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 07:25:29 AM »
Is that a Mongoose wing?

No it's a Bi-Slob wing good thing it has two...lol

A Monoslob.  As any wife or girlfriend will tell you, one slob is enough. 
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Getting back to the original subject.
 Plan what you want to do in your flight ahead of the flight and avoid making the flight a "happening". If you know what you are going to do, its less likely you will make the wrong move as you are anticipating what will occur.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
Getting back to the original subject.
Plan what you want to do in your flight ahead of the flight and avoid making the flight a "happening". If you know what you are going to do, its less likely you will make the wrong move as you are anticipating what will occur.
I find that I can't visualize an entire flight before hand (I expect that when I get more familiar with it I can).  But I can, during my two "judging laps" tell myself what I'm going to do next.  This makes sure that the important parts of the flight are planned, not surprises.

I do plan ahead, but that has backfired -- I have a plane hanging on the wall, waiting for pilot proficiency and some finish repairs, that was a victim of the plan to "do the beginner's pattern come hell or high water".  It died in an outside loop, the projected bottom point of which was somewhere underground.  (Consequently I now seem to be unable to do a loop that ends less than 15 feet above the ground -- I chicken out right after the top of the loop.  I'm working on that.)
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »
Been there done that.
Most recent was Shoestring on 2nd outside Square, Down leg, Dang thing slap out ran me by about 3 feet.

My Dad would crash flying inverted every time, because he thought about it.
In combat match he could fly inverted, because he did not think about it.

For the up down thing to become instinct a 1/2a combat plane with a TeeDee and just fly like a mad man.
usually 5 or 6 attempts to move the planet before something need a little glue.
I speak of old style 1/2a and know nothin about new stuff.

Dacron lines work just fine unless its a hot engine/airplane and then you get to learn how to fly with rubber band lines.
Smooth is the trick.

Go ahead and drill and tap the glow head to use a glow plug. The compression will then probably be real high.
Add plug washers/head gasket until it starts easy and hold a good needle.
Glow plugs are lots cheaper than Glow heads.

Good Cheep fun for the back yard.
Think I have template and sketch for low cost good flying one I drew up for my boys.
If anyone want will dig it out and post.

David

David Roland

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »
The answer to the whole thing and part of it has been mentioned.   GET A "BI-SLOB" AND START FLYING.   LL~ LL~ LL~ My Brother-in-law flew my Bi-Slob several times with no problems.  I had the needle set so it wouldn't hover and he had a blast with it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Dwayne

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 07:08:07 AM »
Thanks everyone, the funny thing is I've read all this stuff many times before and I hadn't parked a plane inverted in weeks so what happens to us when we think we finaly have it our brain goes south...lol  n~ n~ LL~ LL~  anyway it's ready to go again wish me luck...lol  n~ n~
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:52:40 PM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 08:16:17 AM »
I haven' figured that one out yet.  I have lost so many planes or crashed because of a communication break between the old grey matter and the wrist/hand.  Some get put back together or I pass them on to someone who wants to repair them.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 09:58:41 PM »
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! reminds of my first attempt. Mine was a sterling Yak-9 I had probably already destoyed the ringmaster and the mustang, its theYak I seem to remember. I did a few loops and figure eights and said to myself" ok here Igo" I flipped it over got about half a lap it started getting to close to terra so I yanked up!   Yak balsa toothpicks! Well dad and I fixed it. We talked about ways to do this(fly inverted) and we agreed I would flatten out the top of an inside ioop as far as I could and still recover. That didn't really work, because i always had to recover under and again there was all those balsa toothpicks to deal with HB~>   :! our next idea was to stretch out a figure eight< in those days the inside loop was on the left. welll the first few i stretched to about  1/2 a lap then i made a complete lap, then 2 and so on. I leaned over that weekend and never yanked the wrong way again that I recall. You can do  this I know because I was a 5th grader at that time  LL~   all kiddin aside I hope this helps. Of course the best way is to have some one  who can fly inverted hold his hand over yours to assist you. I really did learn by myself by crashin a lot HB~> get help its cheaper and less frustrating. I'd voluteer if I were closer. You could learn in a weekend like I did, try it!       jim

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 08:03:28 AM »
Jim, has it ben that long ago?  I remember when I started doing outside loops.  Was already past the inverted portion.  But, the younger we are the faster we learn it seems.  As I was telling some youngsters yesterday when I was getting ready to load up.  Once you learn it doesn't seem so hard.  I let each one hold the handle on my Ringmaster and work the controls.  Would have flown but the neede valve left the plane on third flight. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here