News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A very not boring move  (Read 1134 times)

Offline KenP51

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • K Pitts
A very not boring move
« on: April 22, 2022, 12:24:04 PM »
Moved to The Camdenton, Mo area. We left the 7 this month pulling a 27 ft Travel Trailer. It was loaded with most of our kitchen supplies and other immediate needs. I had a shelve in the truck camper, more supplies in the bottom, my airplanes on top of the shelf. A small house dog and a young cat in the back seat. We had a friend in another vehicle also bring stuff.
I got a bad tank of diesel fuel in Arizona just before a long grade. Struggled up down in 2nd gear thinking hard about 1rst. Low turbo pressure, but al gauges dead on normal and no check engine lights. Made it over the top got more fuel and the truck ran great What a relieve.

Then Sunday morning in one moment I became and arsonist, a terrorist and very famous in Mclean Tx.
A tire came off the trailer hub and all. It bounced across the freeway and struck a big in in the driver side door. Then proceed to start a fir on both side of the freeway and the middle. That’s the terrorist part as it obviously scared the poor truck half to death. And the arsonist part, starting the grass fire.

I felt a big lurch when the tire cam off, and a car pulled up beside me waving to my trailer. I pulled off as far as I could get. Got out and saw the passenger side rear tire (dual axle trailer) missing and the axle bent, brake wires and parts dangling. Went back to the truck to tell my wife we had real problems. Then I looked back and saw smoke. A short while later I see a fire truck west bound followed by a police car. Great can’t get any worse can it? Oh wait, yeah it can. After the fire is put out the police car and fire truck pull in behind me. A deputy gets out and checks on us. We are fine. Then the firemen return my tire to me, and said here’s your tire back to me.

The deputy and fire men were more amused than anything else. Said it happens all the time. No fines or anything.
Then a big rig pulls in behind the parade
He shows me his truck side and said his ear still hurt, sounded like a bomb going off.

After a full exchange of info everybody else take off. We finally got a wrecker out from McLean. I am saying to myself that ain’t big enough for this job. But he makes sure nothing will be dragging and has us follow him into town at about 30mph. It was only about 5 miles to town.

Get into town and am shown were to park and drop the trailer. Others from the shop come out and say your that guy that started that fire.

So I started a fire, scared a poor trucker half to death and was well known in McLean, Tx.

We continued on our trip and arrive at our new home the 12.

A trip I never want to repeat. But hey at least it was not boring.  You know what? I like BORING TRIPS.

Ken
But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A very not boring move
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 01:25:08 PM »
Hey glad you made it with all the excitements.  Now in Missouri measurement you are not too far from James Mills.  At least I think he is still in Osage MO. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »
Should have used a Dubro wheel collar on there.

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 04:44:35 PM »
That would be one heck of a wheel collar

The tire is still very securely bolted to the hub. Anybody need an extra large wheel hub?

Ken

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 06:08:08 AM »
RV stands for RUNIED VACATION!    y1  LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 09:18:37 AM »
   So you moved into the Lake of the Ozarks region? You are not very far away from Buder Park then, and like Doc says, James Mills lives in the area just south of Springfield.

Big trailers need LOTS of attention, especially if they have been sitting for quite a while. The place I was working at last before retirement had two large tandem axle cargo trailers that they used to use for displays and trade shows and such. These were heavy duty trailers and just carrying their own weight was a big load.. I worked there for 4 years and never saw them move. Towards the end the owner decided that she was going to load them up with a bunch of her belongings and take them to her property in South Dakota. The other maintenance guy and myself were instructed to go through the wheels and bearings and such and set the pressures in the tires. We went to that building to assess the situation. The only machinery I had to work on at this place was sewing machines! And we didn't have any sort of facilities to properly take the hubs apart , clean all the petrified grease out of the bearings, and service the electric brake systems, which I really didn't know much about in the first place. The trailers had been sitting in one spot so long that there were dents in the pavement under the tires! I had not seen these things move in the 4 years I worked there and who knows how long before that since they had moved. We didn't have any kind of air compressor that was big enough to set the pressures that the tire required for the load. The tires were new enough that they still had the stickers on them, but were already cracking from dry rot! I pulled one wheel from the biggest trailer, took a look at that rusted mess and called the guy that was the immediate supervisor, and showed him what I found. I told him I wasn't going to work on these at all. They need far more attention than I could give them with just a tube of grease and a few rags! We called a local trailer shop and got a quote of $150 per axle plus parts and that sounded like a pretty good deal and really cheap insurance for when they got out in those deserted areas up in the Dakotas and hundreds of miles from no where! The owner (whom I never did get to meet face to face) supposedly got irate and chewed everyone out but me and I don't know why I was spared. I don't know what they ended up doing in the end. We had the Covid lay off that March of 2020 and when I got called back to work the following June, I was the only one to get called back. We finished prepping one building she owned to put it on the market, did some other work on the remaining building also, but no production ever started back up. The following Christmas of 2020, they announced they were shutting down in March of 2021, so when the calendar flipped over to January 2021, I announced my retirement. The big trailer was parked behind the building all locked up and tires bulging, and I never did hear if they made the attempt tp pull it north the South Dakota, but my conscience was clear in that I warned them of the tragic possibilities of towing it and absolved myself of any responsibility! 
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 03:39:59 PM »
At least I'll have one new axle with it's new brakes and bearings.

I Will have to go thru the front axle stuff once I get it home.

Also the bushings for the eaqualizer. I don't know if that is the the correct name. The small link that ties the 2 springs to geather.  Bet they are worm also.

Will have to find a place to park it once we get it here. Can't pull it to the house. Very narrow, rough and steep road with no exit.

The top of the hill where our road starts has a good spot as soon as it is cleared.

Ken

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 05:48:21 PM »
I live in in Springfield (about 1 1/2 hours away).  Reach out if you make it down to fly (we have a paved circle).

James
AMA 491167

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 05:57:26 PM »
I will make it that way at some point. Likely next year. Got to get set up here this year. Some tasty critters. 
 I've been offered an old house trailer single wide 40 foot that has been gutted. Would make a good workshop and storage.

Just got to go get it and then manage to get it onto the property. Beyond my ability.

Ken

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 09:37:21 PM »
Congrats on arriving safely, Ken. Seems to be a pretty area you are moving to.

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 05:12:16 PM »
I will make it that way at some point. Likely next year. Got to get set up here this year. Some tasty critters. 
 I've been offered an old house trailer single wide 40 foot that has been gutted. Would make a good workshop and storage.

Just got to go get it and then manage to get it onto the property. Beyond my ability.

Ken

Sounds good, let me know when you make it this way.

James
AMA 491167

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 07:06:34 AM »
Thanks
It is very pretty here

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 01:27:40 PM »
As long as no metal's dragging you can just drive really slow and you're fine for short distances.  You need that many wheels so you can go freeway speeds without the tires overheating.

I had that happen to me when the shop that serviced our trailer wheels assigned the job to the boss's teenage son.  He listened carefully to all the instructions, then forgot them, then put the spindles on with dry bearings and lots of grease packed into the spindles between the bearings.

Boise Idaho, back in the early 1980's when the lanes on I-84 were about two feet wide, and I was in the left lane when I discovered it.  I think I was 18 or 19.

On a Sunday, so someone (someone very nice) had to open up their shop just to get me back on the road.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 03:09:31 PM »
Tim Wescott that is essentially what did. Drove about 6 miles at 30-35 mph.

We are on the road tomorrow to go get the trailer. Will stop around Oklahoma City overnight each way.

Ken

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here