News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attention Movie Buffs!!  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Attention Movie Buffs!!
« on: April 28, 2021, 02:09:36 PM »
   A rainy , crappy day here, so spending it in the basement working on small projects and the endless job of cleaning up and organizing stuff. Got the TV on, and Turner Classic Movies has "Test Pilot" with Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy. Some great footage of great airplanes and the special affects are even pretty good for the time period. At 7pm CDT tonight, they have "THEM!" slated. that is the one about the giant ants and even has a free flight model exhibited in it!! Hard to concentrate with these on, but it's worth it! Myrna Loy just keeled over after doing some aerobatics with Clark gable in a Ryan ST!
     Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Attention Movie Buffs!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 02:48:18 PM »
Another good one to watch for is "Dive Bomber".

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 03:16:33 PM »
 Test pilot is a great movie. Haven't seen it in years. We don't have cable so I'm missing out on a ton of good movies. A couple  others. Chain Lighting and China Clipper.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 03:27:24 PM »
I would rate "Them" as one of the better, if not the best, of the "big bug" movies of the 50s, the Sci-Fi decade.  For that era, the special effects in "Them" were pretty good.

Only those about my age would remember that movie.  I remember the first time I saw it, on TV, way back then.  Terrifying experience for a young boy. 

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 03:48:25 PM »
I would rate "Them" as one of the better, if not the best, of the "big bug" movies of the 50s, the Sci-Fi decade.  For that era, the special effects in "Them" were pretty good.

Only those about my age would remember that movie.  I remember the first time I saw it, on TV, way back then.  Terrifying experience for a young boy.

Yeah, but it had a model airplane in it!!! I think it holds up well all these years later.  In later years here, some one figured out what the model was, a Southland Smarty 1/2A free flight model. I don't know how some one figured that out but I remember reading it in Flying Models magazine in the last 15 years or so. I have a replica kit and an original. Gonna build the replica kit, and fly it h=near some ant hills if I can find some!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

PS to add;  Lots of familiar future movie and TV stars in this one. Look for a certain future pointy eared celebrity and several others who had uncredited appearances .
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:17:24 PM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 04:07:37 PM »
Some of the fire ant mounds at our field are so big at times I think of James Arness and James Whitmore showing up with flamethrowers and Thompson submachine guns.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 04:20:08 PM »
Leonard Nimoy had a bit part in "Them".  Fess Parker, the future Daniel Boone, was also in it.

Offline EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »

Yes, I used to really enjoy vintage scifi, mostly books, and Them was probably one of the better made movies of its kind. At one point they were cranking out really bad B movies almost as fast as the SCIFI Channel did bad B movies in the 80s and 90s, and almost as poor of a quality. I don't think anyone really cared, I think a lot of those old films were made mostly for Drive-in theaters where people weren't really watching the screen anyway.

Nothing worse than a bad re-make of a bad B movie to start with. There are some exceptions though... Remember Kingdom of the Spiders from the 70's? Will Shatner? I  think Spielberg's Arachnophobia was a copy (not legally proven, but, prolly so) but way better... one case where remake won out. Now as to remakes of remakes, like the remake of the remake of The Fly... that's another conversation.  n1  Taken to ridiculous extremes, there's been a zillion Frankenstein remakes, and the best in my mind is still the one by Mel Brooks.  LL~

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 05:25:56 PM »
"SOS South Pacific."

B&W, 1960 movie with seaplane action. Plane crash survivors find out they've been stranded on a desert island which is used for a nuclear test sight, and there's only five hours before the next scheduled test!

I have the DVD. It was given to me as a gift. My guess, possibly on line for free but it's worth the purchase.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »
 Movie Time. SOS  Pacific

Online Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 02:47:13 PM »
     Hey Tony,
                  Thanks for putting the video up!
            Doug

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »
     Hey Tony,
                  Thanks for putting the video up!
            Doug

Thank you. A I'm going to watch it right now.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here