News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:49:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Tribute to George Aldrich - Designer of the "Nobler".  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
A Tribute to George Aldrich - Designer of the "Nobler".
« on: November 10, 2006, 10:37:14 PM »
Elizio Franco Jr. of Brazil - I hope I’ve spelled his name correctly – recently reported here that he plans to build a Nobler for the 2007 Nats as a tribute to George Aldrich’s genius and city.

I only knew George through limited email correspondence, but somehow felt I was “conversing” with an extremely giving man.  Others who knew him more personally in fact have affirmed both his giving nature and his humility.

But I’d like to share an email I received last March from Andy Estrada in California, an informal note with regard to fathers and sons.  Andy has kindly given me permission to do so –

“ … My son Alan took his first C/L fights on an identical looking field with a C.G. Wizard back in 1985.  He became fairly proficient in stunt and some F.F.  He lost interest about Jr. High age in favor of off road motorcycles, then girls, then college, then military, then off to war.

Alan got married a few months ago and recently moved to Japan.  In his last email to me, he wanted me to send him a couple of his C/L models.  Hopefully, it will all come full circle with another little Estrada flying a C/L model …

When Alan was a kid, we met George Aldrich at the National Free Flight Champs.  I knew George by reputation only.  I never met or spoke with him before this.  George took a liking to Alan.  He patiently worked with Alan on & off for 2 days answering questions and helping Alan trim his ¼ A “T” Bird.

A week or so after the F.F. Champs, George called from Texas and asked for Alan!  They spoke for 20 minutes or so, about what I don’t know.  A few days later a big package arrived from Texas containing all sorts of model goodies for Alan.  I figured Alan must be conning George out of this stuff, so I gave him a call.

We talked for quite a while and I found George just liked Alan and was trying to help him along and was more than happy to do so.  I ran into George a few times after that at an early VSC or F.F. meet.  He always asked about Alan and reminded me there were few things more important than sharing modeling with your son.  I’m just beginning to realize how right George was.

Take care … Andy”

Now, I ask - was Aldrich a real Champion, or what?

Dennis
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:50:38 AM by De Hill »
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: A Tribute to George Aldrich
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 11:09:35 AM »
Hi Dennis,

I always found George to be a fun loving and generous guy.  I couldn't agree more with your assessment of him!

I miss talking with him.  He was always willing to talk model airplanes, or about anything else!  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 12:20:13 PM »
Gee, Bill - he was a lot like you then?!?

Dennis
 **)
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 10:45:00 PM »
I also had some email meetings with GMA, and was very surprised at the info he gave about engine rework, without my asking. On the other hand, there were a few people in the Stunt community that truly irked him, he had no respect for, and he knew how to carry a grudge. I thought that was very sad, but on the other hand, it showed that he was a mere human, like the rest of us.  I was hoping that he'd take on an apprentice, so that his engine skills would not pass with him. Too bad that didn't happen, IMO.  :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 01:03:52 PM »
George was one of the best and a true gentleman.  But, he had his moments like when he was busy trying to figure out a problem.  Never bother anybody if they are busy.  I can just visualize it now: George setting the engines,  Bob designing the airplanes and Ed doing the flying.  In the meantime Lucky is getting all down on paper.  Later,  DOC Holliday 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 02:34:59 AM »
I have to say I also found GMA one of the most friendly and helpful folks I have ever met. He had an amazing memory. He must have interacted with hundreds of people, yet you could ring him up after 3 or 4 years and he would know you instantly, and carry on the conversation like you had been talking yesterday. I too noticed he had quite a derogatory opinion of some folks though, and didn't hang back in expressing it! It seemed almost out of character.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »
George was very opnionated about a good number of things, one that I noticed was that he believed that no one except probably himself could do a adequate hourglass.
Also, George himself admited to me that just about everything he knew about designing models was relayed to him from Bob Palmer. 

Jim Pollock

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here