News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ladies & gentlemen, and now for something completely different...  (Read 1531 times)

Offline PaulGibeault

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
At the suggestion of several, I uploaded my SR-71 video to You Tube. I guess it wasn't that hard after all. Here's the link for those interested. ENJOY!

Cheers, Paul

The world's fastest stealth SR-71 Blackbird spy plane. This was my first attempt at this event & experimental in flight actuated rocket boost motor. It placed 1st in the 1/2A Scale Event at the NW Regional Model Airplane Championships in Roseburg, Oregon USA on their Memorial Day week end. — at Roseburg Regional Airport. Video by Chris Cox of Delta B.C. Launching assistance by Ken Burdick & Tim Wescott.

By the way, this was NOT a Jetex or Estes rocket motor. It is a high power AEROTECH COMPOSITE MOTOR size E15-PW 61388.  IC engines were Gibeault tuned Cox .049's burning Sig 35% nitromethane fuel.

Cheers,  Paul
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:00:04 PM by PaulGibeault »

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
Re: Ladies & gentlemen, and now for something completely different...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »
That was fantastic!   Definitely a first!  Paul, Did you ever get the PM I sent you?

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 02:09:22 PM »
... IC engines were Gibeault tuned Cox .049's burning Sig 35% nitromethane fuel...

And they started right up, and they screamed, and they were shiny.  Those aspects in themselves should have been enough to disqualify you from the event.  You really need to pay attention to what the other competitors are flying!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 04:00:26 PM »
Being a firsthand witness of this event it was no less than awesome. The plane flew plenty fast with the hopped up .049s, then when the Jet kicked in the fun started. The good news is Paul had this plane trimmed really well and it flew fine when the Jet kicked in . Kudos for his first ever Scale Entry. This is one of the reasons 1/2 A Scale is so much fun. It is good to see someone with some innovation also. This for sure made the scale event even more fun . Walter Hicks Thanks Paul for the Memories :)

And  a side note as the Scale Judge for the Northwest Regionals, the really fast .049 added to the flight realism of the SR -71 so they were appropriate and got him more points!!!

Dwayne

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »
That was awesome!!  y1 #^ n~ H^^

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 06:08:02 PM »
Thank you all for your very fine comments.  Gary, I just messaged you.

Kudo's to Walter Hicks for being so patient when he walked me through my first ever contest Scale entry.
Walter showed be where I gained points & also where they were deducted. He gave me excellent comments on scale documentation.
Inasmuch as I classify my SR-71 as a "stand way-off" scale model, it was a lot of FUN  and I learned new things about an event that
I normally never fly in. The model turned out to be A LOT more work than I had anticipated, but I'm very pleased with the outcome.
To my surprise Walter ran a great low key event and made it really fun for me. I now have a new appreciation
of the event. The other competitors were great & very helpful too. All around, a fabulous group & a wonderful experience.

Cheers,

Paul

P.S. Below was my "YEE-HAW!" moment.  Photo courtesy of Chris Cox.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 07:05:24 PM »
1/2A scale is indeed a lot of fun.  It surely has the highest fun factor to time involved of any of the CL scale events.  I think that those who participated in the Tucson Multi-Engine 1/2A Profile Scale events will attest to that.  Also, the St. Louis club has had several contests for 1/2A scale that have been well supported.

I do not want to rain on this party, but was wondering if there was some special allowance to allow the rocket motor on the model SR-71.  If this was a sanctioned AMA scale contest, then the AMA Control Line Scale rule book will apply.  Paragraph 4.6 Pyrotechnics  "Scale operations involving pyrotechnics (including, but not limited to rockets, explosive bombs dropped from models, smoke bombs, all explosive gases and any ground mounted device launching a projectile) are not permitted in Scale competition."

I think it is not a good rule.  I can understand the need to have various restrictions on "rocket" type propulsion for CL models, but there is a wide array of rocket powered airplanes that would be interesting subjects (and practical and safe) if rocket motors were allowed in CL Scale.  Several of the X-Series of test aircraft and the Messerschmitt Me 163 would be on that list.

Keith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »
1/2A scale is indeed a lot of fun.  It surely has the highest fun factor to time involved of any of the CL scale events.  I think that those who participated in the Tucson Multi-Engine 1/2A Profile Scale events will attest to that.  Also, the St. Louis club has had several contests for 1/2A scale that have been well supported.

I do not want to rain on this party, but was wondering if there was some special allowance to allow the rocket motor on the model SR-71.  If this was a sanctioned AMA scale contest, then the AMA Control Line Scale rule book will apply.  Paragraph 4.6 Pyrotechnics  "Scale operations involving pyrotechnics (including, but not limited to rockets, explosive bombs dropped from models, smoke bombs, all explosive gases and any ground mounted device launching a projectile) are not permitted in Scale competition."

I think it is not a good rule.  I can understand the need to have various restrictions on "rocket" type propulsion for CL models, but there is a wide array of rocket powered airplanes that would be interesting subjects (and practical and safe) if rocket motors were allowed in CL Scale.  Several of the X-Series of test aircraft and the Messerschmitt Me 163 would be on that list.

Keith

With all due respect, I interpret the quoted rule to apply to droppable stores. The precedent for rocket motor assist was set at the 2017 C/L Scale NATS. James Smith entered and flew a Me -163 with a rocket motor in Fun Scale.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 11:30:20 PM »
Now that’s an example of the merits of decades flying speed.
You will notice that not only did Paul not screw himself into the ground keeping up with his plane but that he was still standing and not collapsing in a dizzy spell afterward.

Congratulations old chum!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 11:48:26 PM »
Now that’s an example of the merits of decades flying speed.
You will notice that not only did Paul not screw himself into the ground keeping up with his plane but that he was still standing and not collapsing in a dizzy spell afterward.

Congratulations old chum!

Indeed, I was present for this one (and based on many, many Model Rocket and LPR launches), standing up and facing that way, you know, just in case.

Of course, this was just an "E" engine. They make similar "glider" engines (relatively low thrust and long burn) up to a G, which is 4X as much impulse, which might start pushing even Paul's limits in a similar model. It only goes for 9 seconds, but that would be plenty long enough, I expect...

Brett

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 01:01:43 AM »

Keith

Keith I believe the rule section you quoted is maybe a little vague and open to interpretation:

Scale operations involving pyrotechnics (including, but not limited to
rockets, <<< Projectiles that leave the model >>>
explosive bombs dropped from models, <<< Potentially a grenade >>>
smoke bombs, <<< Also potentially a grenade >>>
all explosive gases <<< Propane?  Acetylene?  Potentially a flamethrower >>>
and any ground mounted device launching a projectile << A WHAT???  Who had THIS idea??? >>>
are not permitted in Scale competition.

The AMA General Safety Code, which governs all aspects of model aircraft and sort of supersedes the additional rules contained in the CL rules, specifically ALLOWS rocket MOTORS.  As long as they do not explode, or leave the aircraft as a projectile, they are A-OK...

Quote: Rocket motors (using solid propellant) up to a G-series size may be used provided they remain attached to the model during flight. Model rockets maybe flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code but may not be launched from model aircraft.

Page 5, Paragraph 7:
https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf

Paul Gibeault is within the rules and his rocket-assisted flight is legal.  AND TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!

Paul W.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 11:11:38 AM »
Paul G. is great at this.  I remember a 1/2A Team Racer that had every thing enclosed.    D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 03:33:02 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Robert Whitley, Bob Haywood & All,

Not to worry, with Orin Humphries 40 year old Blackbird A-12 now crashed at this meet, both of our models are now done flying. You won't be seeing them again.

It can be argued the merits of legality of rocket motors on C/L models. Yes, the NW Regionals is indeed a AAA sanctioned contest. It has been for well over 30 years.  Yes, an AMA Nats precedent has been set. I absolve all officials
of any liability as I never beforehand told them of what I was going to do. It would be unrealistic to fault any official, when the first 2 flights had no rocket power, because it
plain didn't work.  That was reserved for the last & final flight which turned out to be a real cracker!   Carry on the legal discussion without me. It was a "bucket list" item that I reserved for retirement.  I came, I saw, I conquered (the technical challenge), and I will move on... in safety.  I was asked to do a twin Dynajet model for next time... I'll let the very talented Dan Banjock do that one.... ;D

Cheers

p.s. I can well see why 1/2A Scale is so much fun.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:57:32 PM by PaulGibeault »

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 03:41:03 PM »
Paul G. is great at this.  I remember a 1/2A Team Racer that had every thing enclosed.    D>K

THAT was a funny one flying an all enclosed mouse racer that looked like a killer mini team racer. The FUNNIEST PART that came out of that was the CD the late Vic Garner, refused to process the model until I opened up the cowl to prove to him I had a reed valve engine in the model (he didn't believe me).  Nobody knew (other than me) that as far as a mouse racer, as cool as it looked, it was hopelessly UNCOMPETITIVE! I did win the Nats with the very talented Aaron Ascher as my pilot flying my Streaker model, but the mini T/R model was just to rattle Vic, which it did! Mission accomplished... ;D ;D ;D

Cheers, Paul

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 03:45:56 PM »
I had only two words when that jet kicked in - HOLY COW!
Wonderful modeling accomplishment and a great example of what modeling is all about.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here