News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A promising flying site in the Los Angeles area  (Read 1566 times)

Offline aba183210

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
A promising flying site in the Los Angeles area
« on: March 27, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »
I have noted that the paved parking lot by the Rose Bowl stadium is a great candidate for electric control line only. Pasadena allows only electric planes and helos-no glow or gas allowed at all.

I took the electric Baby Clown there to test it with a Vant 650 mAh 3s battery.

Take a look at the photo.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A promising flying site in the Los Angeles area
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »
I guess electric would open a lot of opportunities.  Good looking site as long as there are no other events.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline aba183210

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:14:49 PM »
It is a great site for all kinds of electric flight. Virtually every Friday afternoon, the grass area of the park aka Lot H, becomes an RC aerodrome. Many go there to fly their electric stuff, from quadcopters to T-Rex 3D helos and flying wings that are so overpowered that the motor is just as noisy as a glow engine,

The grass area could accommodate an electric CL plane provided it has the wheels and power to take off from grass-ithe grass in Lot H is smooth and short.

And yes, as long as there are no events at the Rose Bowl or the adjacent park (i.e. walk for autism, the UCLA games, lacrosse tournaments, youth and adult soccer matches et al) the park is good for flying. At times, I have been the only one in the entire park. On the other hand, at times the park is completely taken. This is especially true in the summer months, when the soccer clubs are active and use the entire Lot H.

The paved parking lot is great as long as there are no events and it is empty.

Oh, and no AMA is required to fly there. No club dues, no formal rules. I have seen RC pilots do things that could jeopardize this site.

Yes, ECL opens many sites that are off limits to glow.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »
Excuse me for asking a stupid question but.... Why electric only...seems like the worst kind of discrimination to me... HB~> HB~>

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline aba183210

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 10:41:33 PM »
Excuse me for asking a stupid question but.... Why electric only...seems like the worst kind of discrimination to me... HB~> HB~>

Randy Cuberly

City ordinance. Besides, the area in question is surrounded by pricey homes alongside hills.

And that ordinance is one of the most benevolent ones.

Many, many cities in this county ban any kind of model planes (CL, RC, FF, gas, electric, etc).

For those who might not be familiar with Los Angeles County, there are only 3 fields where you can legally fly any "wet" RC plane: Whittier Narrows in South El Monte, the Apollo XI field in the Sepulveda Dam recreation area just south of the Van Nuys airport, and a private RC field near the Irwindale Speedway. For wet CL, Apollo and Whittier Narrows are your only options. You have one of those CL speed demons that hit 200 mph? Only Whittier Narrows has a flying area enclosed with a safety cage.

But ECL....many more options. You have an e-Baby Clown, e-Baby Flite Streak or similar? Take it to an empty parking lot or a place where electrics are allowed and you will have a wonderful time. You got an e-Nobler, e-Pathfinder, e-Olympic or similar sized plane, or even a Strega? Take them to the Rose Bowl park and have a blast.

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 07:51:18 AM »
There are at least three other "wet" RC sites near LA. Blackstar Canyon, near Irvine lake, Prado Dam near Corona, and Trabuco Canyon, north of Mission Viejo.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline aba183210

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 10:32:59 AM »
There are at least three other "wet" RC sites near LA. Blackstar Canyon, near Irvine lake, Prado Dam near Corona, and Trabuco Canyon, north of Mission Viejo.

The first is in Riverside County and the other two are in Orange County.

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 10:55:12 PM »
Sepulveda Basin is a perfectly good site for nitro CL.  Also the VCB have a secondary site at a very quiet park for electric only, no need to fight for space with the rest of the "aerodrome".

Who are you anyway "aba183210"?  You haven't signed your name, I don't recall anyone with an electric Baby Clown.

Paul W.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here