News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A head's up about balsa in the immediate future  (Read 11821 times)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A head's up about balsa in the immediate future
« on: December 26, 2018, 09:52:31 AM »
As most of you know I produce, among other things, sheeted foam wings through my Robin's View Productions company. I strive to get the very best materials possible, and it is always a struggle to obtain large quantities of contest grade 4 to 6 pound/cubic foot density wood. I just spoke with my supplier and told them that I was not getting the requisite amount of such wood with my recent orders to fill my wing orders. I was told that contest grade balsa will very soon become a thing of the past. There are industries that are using huge amounts of balsa to make their products (mostly to make those huge props used on "wind farms.”) Those industries have been buying up all the wood that is available - including the light stuff... - and leaving only the dregs for those who service the modeling industry.

The situation is not as dire as you might think, if you are willing to change your thinking about how we use balsa. Back in the 1970s I produced wings under the company name Control Specialties (and before that Control Line Specialties...). We had a similar problem getting consistently light wood back then. In those days the industry that was using all the available balsa was ship building. Specifically freighters that required holds that were refrigerated. Balsa was the ideal (at that time) insulating material, and we had a bear of a time getting good light wood for many years. When they found other, better, insulating materials, the balsa supply eased up a bit and we could once again get some decent density wood. During that period I started using .045 (3/64-inch) thick balsa for sheeting, and virtually all of the wings that I produced throughout the 1970s were covered with that thickness wood. Because the wood was thinner, but of a heavier density, the actual finished weights of the wing panels were no different than they had been when using the lower density 1/16 wood. But, the denser wood did not soak up as much finish, and, because of that, the models built around those wings actually came out lighter overall. I even covered several foam core wings with very dense 1/32-inch balsa, and those models came out very light when finished. An added bonus is that the denser wood is also stronger than very soft but thicker wood.

I order wood in lots of several hundred sheets at a time, and then grade the wood when it arrives. I use wood that is 8 to 9.5 grams per sheet for the inboard panels, and wood that is 10 to 10.5 grams per sheet for the outboard panels. This is done to reduce the amount of tip weight that is required, and to make use of the wood more efficiently. The wood that grades out heavier than 10.5 grams per sheet is sold locally to modelers for rib stock for built up wings, or to the local RC guys. Even so, I have stockpiled a lot of slightly heavier density wood; more than I can use or sell.

In talking with a good friend of mine abut this problem and explaining how we used to use denser but thinner wood, he revealed to me that he had a micro sander that could be used to make .045 sheets out of my stock of unusable .062 (1/16-inch) wood. Long story short, I delivered to him about 500 sheets of that wood, and he has so far sanded about 100 sheets to .045. And, it is beautiful! A sheet of 1/16 x 3 x 36 that weighed around 11 grams came out to weigh about 8.5 grams at .045. Woo Hoo!

We have all been used to getting wood from hobby shops and/or suppliers that was cut to the popular thicknesses that have been the paradigm for years. Remember, balsa does not grow in 1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 -inch thicknesses. We can get it cut and sanded to whatever thickness we desire.

I have been using denser 1/16 wood for top and bottom shells for a long time. The denser wood takes a bit longer soaking to be moldable easily, but when fully soaked, it bends around the bucks jut as easily as the softer 3/32 that is most often used to make shells for our models. An added benefit is that the denser, stiffer wood will not cave in between the formers and give that “starved horse” look. I have also been using stiff 1/16-inch balsa for fuselage sides instead of 1/8 or 3/32-inch balsa, and have had great results.

All I am saying is that we will most likely have to adjust our paradigms to the reality of what will be available to us in balsa densities in the very near future. If we do, we can continue to produce light and strong models for years to come.

Later - Bob Hunt     

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A head's up about balsa in the immediate future
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:20:03 AM »
Thanks Bob for the info.  I have used heavier but thinner balsa ever since I played with F2C competition.   Yes the heavier wood did not soak up the epoxy or other finishing materials as much as the light wood.   Even today I have some light balsa that is shelved as it is no good for ribs and is why I use thicker wood.  I guess I'm a clutz when it comes to handling light wood. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 10:34:36 AM »
This is depressing news.
Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »
I get balsa from a lot of sources. I generally look for straight grain and consistency. I have, for years, used heavier but thinner pieces as Bob suggests. Seems to work out fairly well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 10:49:24 AM »
Hi Steve:

I fully understand how you could take this to be depressing, but if you reflect on it for a while and readjust your thinking, it could actually yield better, lighter (or at least as light...), stronger models in the future. The only thing that will be a challenge is finding enough light block wood for tips, cowls, etc.

I didn't mean to depress anyone; all I wanted to do was pass along some information that I just received and give a few thoughts on how we can all adjust to the situation when it arrives.

Later - Bob

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »
When I was flying slope gliders I would vacuum bag wings with epoxy soaked brown wrapping paper. Extremely light and remarkably strong. If needed, an under layer of light fiberglass at the root, out about a quarter of the span.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
STUPID WIND FARMS! 😠

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »

Dwayne

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
When I was flying slope gliders I would vacuum bag wings with epoxy soaked brown wrapping paper. Extremely light and remarkably strong. If needed, an under layer of light fiberglass at the root, out about a quarter of the span.

In the 70's I knew a pattern flyer,( lived in my building actually and helped me a lot), who used news paper.  y1

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
Don't worry, be happy...
...with blue (or pink) foam:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/building-techniques/the-bluefoam-model-or-how-to-build-a-stunt-plane-without-a-bit-of-balsa/

Thanks to God (and DOW or Corning Glass and CIBA-Huntsman) I could succesfully forget balsa from early '80s for a life... :)
Istvan

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »
We used to use 1/40 Obeche veneer over foam.  Light and extremely strong.  I have also been a fan of thinner stiffer wood except for blocks.  Just out of curiosity, what happens to the balsa in one of these generator blades when it breaks or one of those ships gets scrapped.  Is the wood salvaged?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 10:17:20 PM »
We used to use 1/40 Obeche veneer over foam.  Light and extremely strong.  I have also been a fan of thinner stiffer wood except for blocks.  Just out of curiosity, what happens to the balsa in one of these generator blades when it breaks or one of those ships gets scrapped.  Is the wood salvaged?

Ken

I'd guess that the ships would probably have a life of many decades, and I read that wind generators aren't even maintained, because there's not much they can do to repair them due to the sheer size and height...so they're allowed to burn to the ground.  Those in central California may not like that thought, but maybe they have fire system installed or have a fire-watch stand by that one that's trying to make smoke. I've also read that their electron output per $/lifetime isn't a good payoff, but it makes certain factions happy. HB~> Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 06:03:08 AM »
The balsa in those big wind props is cut crossgrain and is then laid up in a composite. So, even if they did take a blade apart we would not glean any good balsa from it.

I think we are overreacting here a bit. There will still be balsa around for years; we will just have to adjust our paradigms to use it in a different way. Thinner, stiffer wood can yield stronger, lighter models with but some thought and care.

Later - Bob

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »
The sheer Volume or numbers of very very big things in this world is astounding, and kind of frightening from a source of raw materiel point of view

Balsa and Mahogany ( there are many others) are a cash crop and a major source of GDP for many countries...so they slash rain forest to gain land to grow cash crops

I sometimes wonder (tongue in cheek) if the Global Warming "Sea water is rising" folks account for all the DISPLACEMENT of the GIANT ships we build

Or for that matter the displacement from any of 20 or so active volcanoes...but I digress
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »
I have nothing to add on the original topic, Bob has it right.

But, the inverse of his theory is something you need to watch out for, and had burned people many times over the years. Bob's points is that you can use heavier wood with thinner dimensions to get the same strength. Conversely, if you use lighter balsa, you generally want to *increase* the dimensions of the wood. What I see, time after time, is someone wanting to build "the world's lightest Belchfire" and replacing all the 6-7 lb wood and replacing it with 4 lb wood of the same dimensions. It's lighter, alright - so it's easier to carry to the garbage can when it falls apart. This is particularly bad when you do it with ancient 40's-50's designs like the Ringmaster, Firecat, etc, which only stay together if you have pretty stout wood due to the very poor engineering of the structure.

I haven't seen any real data on the phenomenon, but to save weight with lighter wood, the specific modulus or specific tensile strength would have to go up as the density goes down. That might be true, but I haven't seen any evidence of it. Otherwise, its just designed wrong to start with, and could be made lighter by reducing the size of the heavier wood.

What kills people on weight is overbuilding, using lots of plywood, and using lots of filler and paint. Good worksmanship alone can greatly reduce the filler, and not getting a glazed look in your eye when picking up the spray gun, will be much more effective.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 08:09:56 PM »
 Very interesting info Bob, but like you say there's no reason to overreact. Basically, thicker or thinner or whatever, it all boils down to wood selection as we build, just like it always has.  :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »
Reading Aeromodeler way back when, Europeans were completely competitive with all hardwood for their models. It can be done!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
Well I just received my latest box of unobtainium from Stunt Hangar Hobby 3.5 to 5 LB wood. Great stuff
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 03:25:12 AM by RC Storick »
AMA 12366

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 08:36:27 PM »
Reading Aeromodeler way back when, Europeans were completely competitive with all hardwood for their models. It can be done!

When? Dick Korda was winning Wakefield because his models were 1/3 the weight of the hardwood/bamboo paper models  - about 100 years ago. Pioneer  British modeler Colonel Bowden decried models built of "balsa models held together with blobs of model cement", instead of wrapping each hardwood joint with thread and hide glue.

If you think it can be done, I would like to see a demonstration - say, an all-hardwood Impact/40VF at 64 ounces with a competitive finish.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »

If you think it can be done, I would like to see a demonstration - say, an all-hardwood Impact/40VF at 64 ounces with a competitive finish.

Brett

Brett,

Check with Avaiojet, he can probably post photos of the one he did.  ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »
Brett,

Check with Avaiojet, he can probably post photos of the one he did.  ;D

Yes, expect a post very soon about how he told Colonel Bowden about it in the first place.

Or I could just buy one of them, since he is selling them (or trying to) instead of flying them as he claimed...

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »
...and not getting a glazed look in your eye when picking up the spray gun...

So that’s why it’s so heavy. I’ll change the mask filters before painting the next one.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 02:49:33 AM »
Of course technically speaking, balsa is a hardwood.

Spruce is a softwood.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 03:22:39 AM by qaz049 »

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 05:52:44 AM »
Bob thanks for sharing that information. PhillySkip

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »
Maybe we should start thinking that maybe, just maybe, that those extra 100 coats of clear to get that 20 point finish is something we really don't need so much but my guess is that we will just get bigger engines, thicker lines and design a harness to keep your shoulder attached.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 07:44:14 AM »
      I'm still finding 5-8lb/ft3 balsa at Ace Hardware stores that carry the Midwest line of balsa and spruce. I'm mostly looking for 1/16" sheets but you have to go through the entire stack to find them. Holding each piece up to the ceiling lights to see how much light shines through tells you accurately enough how dense it is. You have to brave the stares from the patrons making detours down the adjacent aisles, though.

Ara 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:48:28 PM by Ara Dedekian »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 07:56:29 AM »
Maybe we should start thinking that maybe, just maybe, that those extra 100 coats of clear to get that 20 point finish is something we really don't need so much but my guess is that we will just get bigger engines, thicker lines and design a harness to keep your shoulder attached.

Finishes have generally been getting lighter, rather than heavier, as people start to use more advanced paint systems. Still, if someone treats auto clear like dope, better get harder tires on your wheels because it's going to leave a flat spot. Done correctly, a good automotive clear adds about 3/4 oz - 1 oz. But one individual who shall remain nameless (since it WASN'T Larry..) managed to add *17 ounces*.

Brett

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »
      I'm still finding 5-8lb/ft3 balsa at Ace Hardware stores that carry the Midwest line of balsa and spruce. I'm mostly looking for 1/16" sheets   but you have to go through the entire stack to find it. Holding each piece up to the ceiling lights to see how much light shines through  tells you accurately enough how dense it is. You have to brave the stares from the patrons making detours down the adjacent isles, though.

Ara

Yes, and add to that Michaels and Hobby Lobby outlets as good places to look for that occasional piece of light balsa. I routinely go on what I call "balsa safari" looking at alternate outlets for good balsa.

Again, there is no reason to panic. I was told that the sources for light balsa are beginning to dry up do to the clear cutting of the balsa trees in Central America to supply the wind prop industry. They are not replanting to my knowledge so the distant future for light wood is grim at best. We will still get some small amounts of good wood in the near future, but, according to my supplier - who also I'm told supplies Tom Morris - there is a distinct reduction in the light wood coming in now; it won't get better in the future...

Light balsa comes from balsa trees that grow in close proximity to a water supply. As the wood grows and has a lot of water content, the wood cells are enlarged and are filled with moisture. When those trees are cut and kiln dried, the water is removed and the large cell structure yields wood with more air content versus wood that was grown far from water and has dense cell structure. Apparently most of the wood that grows near water - and is therefore more accessible -  has been cut and processed to a great degree. The wood that is now being cut is from trees that are more inland and hence more dense.

Yes, yes, yes, we will still have some light wood for a while; but make plans to change your building paradigms to use what will soon be the only available option.

One possible bright spot on all this is the fact that the wood grown in Papua New Guinea that was available for a while here may be available once again to a degree. My supplier mentioned this wood and said that it is a different species of balsa than we are used to from Central American countries. I remember getting this balsa from a supplier in Long Island, New York a few years back. It was very consistent and almost looked artificial. The pieces were all very light in color and had virtually no uneven grain or imperfections. I was told that it all grew near a river in papua New Guinea and thus had large cell structure and that meant light wood. And, indeed almost all the wood I got from my Long Island supplier was very light. Let's hope this comes to pass and we can once again get this wood.

In the interim we need to be aware that - like in all things - the party will eventually end. All good things come to an end. Fortunately there are always new good things appearing. If we look at this with that thought in mind we will be fine. If we stick our heads in the ground and refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem on the horizon... Well, you know what happens then.

Please do not shoot the messenger; I'm only passing along information that I have received from a supplier that has been in the balsa business for many, many years.

Later -- Bob     
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:21:15 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
I remember back in the 70's the Navy had a big ship building program and was using a great deal of balsa to line hulls for strength and floatation,  especially during the oil embargo when foam was very high priced.  Somewhere we got a little New Guinea wood.  It was light and nice but I seem to remember it was yellowish in color compared to Ecquador wood.  I suppose a good source for that might be found in Australia etc., but shipping and import duties might be ugly.   I just ordered a little.  I try to keep on hand enough for the next future project-whatever that ends up being. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 05:28:28 PM »
Demand feeds supply . .

As many folks know I have been supplying 3-5lb balsa to the stunt community for nearly a decade and I chose to close my doors to direct and in person contest sales due to lack of demand - NOT LACK OF SUPPLY.

Light wood is simply more costly than medium to heavy balsa and being blunt, a lot of stunt folks simply don’t want to pay what it actually costs (for whatever reason).

Light wood comes from young trees and they are both less interesting to loggers (as there is less wood on a young tree) and more expensive to harvest as cutting early reduces the profit for the logger. Young trees that fall are often sadly used as kindling for the Kilns!! As loggers often regard treating them for sale as too costly. I worked with one team to rescue this light wood to stop it being used for Kindling a couple of years back and it worked out well for everyone.

Bottom line is if you want light wood, be prepared to pay for it and patronize the suppliers like; Tom and SIG who continue to supply it and you won’t loose the supply.

Right now though I would agree with Bob with a caveat; No Demand = No Supply.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:11:51 PM by Bobs your Uncle »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 05:29:25 PM »
Balsa was also considered to insulate the second-stage hydrogen tank of the Saturn 5. Then ended up using spray-on polyurethane because the quality control of balsa was so difficult - more or less the same issues we have, no two pieces are really alike, particularly when you are trying to insulate a rocket that is 33 feet in diameter! The had process control over the insulation.

The same polyurethane insulation was used on the Shuttle external tank, and then when it got saturated from rainwater and then frozen by the hydrogen, was notorious for falling off early in the boost. That's what went through the leading edge of the Columbia, leading to the disaster on re-entry.

Interestingly, on the third stage of the Saturn V, they put the insulation on the inside instead of the outside, so it could only fall off and get sucked into the engine. But that never happened in practice, as far as anyone can tell.

Brett

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2018, 05:00:33 AM »
So I am going to offer a differing point. 

In late October I was in Marinette Wisconsin and called up the balsa USA guys to see about getting visit. 

The took me on an awesome tour.  Photos were not allowed. 

If you are ever up there, call them for a visit, it was awesome.   I hand picked some 1/2 inch planks for some future profiles that I want to build

I saw the wood milling operations, resawing and kit production area. 

I also saw their balsa storage room and asked about the"balsa shortage"  I was let to believe that wood was scarce.   

The huge room (75' x 50; , 20 foot roof. was huge and full and overflowing with blanks of wood.   the blanks are roughly 3.5" x 3.5" x 48" I think.   To make larger sheets they did a glue up in dedicated wood press and a resaw.  it was impressive.  Multi blades saws like used for slicing bread.  They have probably 30 resaw stations.     

Per Balsa USA There is NO SHORTAGE  of balsa

They can buy all the Wood they have cash for.   They are frequently asked by their supplier to take more than they want.
They buy as much as they can, but no shortage per their view.   

Contest balsa is scarce, but in their view there is no shortage of wood.  A lot of it was 8lb + grade. 

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2018, 06:56:11 AM »
Hi Dave:

Yeah, my supplier told me the same thing; they can get balsa, but just not enough light balsa!

Time will tell what the real story is concerning the future of contest grade balsa. I've been purchasing from my supplier for many years, so I'm fairly certain that they are being very candid with me about the future availability of light wood. In no way did they tell me that could not continue supplying me; they only warned me very convincingly that the percentage of very light wood that I'd be receiving in the future would be diminishing.

Again, they also told me that they might be able to work a deal to get some of that great quality wood from Papua New Guinea. Either way, light, straight grain wood will probably be at a premium; even more so than now. I pay quite a bit extra to have selected Contest Grade balsa sent to me. I order a lot of wood each year; in the thousands of sheets... I'm pretty sure my supplier does not want to lose me as a customer. I do appreciate them being honest with me about the light balsa situation.

I used to buy from Balsa USA (many years ago...), and got some good wood from them, but mostly heavy stuff with weird grain that was unusable for CL wing sheeting. I had to find ways to sell that stuff off to modelers who were not so concerned with weight (mostly to RC guys...). I also ordered wood from many other mills around the country; Sig, Lone Star, Aerocraft, Eastern Balsa, Midwest (ugh...), National Balsa, Champion Model Aircraft, Buckeye, and others. All of them were able to supply what they called Contest Grade balsa. Their concept of Contest Grade in many cases did not coincide with my definition... I want the best wood possible. (To be fair, I did get a lot of light wood from Sig back in the 1970s, but it cost a lot more than Contest Grade wood from other outlets.) My current supplier sells only wholesale to the trade; they will not sell to individual modelers. They supply a lot of major kit manufacturers (not that there are very many anymore...), hobby shops (not too many of them anymore either), and they supply boutique outfits such as my Robin's View Productions concern. I have received a higher percentage of what I consider Contest Grade wood from them than I have from any other source in recent times.

I did not intend to start a panic with my initial post. The sky is not falling yet, but when it does, watch out for heavy balsa. And, don't say I didn't alert everyone to information that I received from a reliable, extremely informed source...

Bob 

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »

I did not intend to start a panic with my initial post. The sky is not falling yet, but when it does, watch out for heavy balsa. And, don't say I didn't alert everyone to information that I received from a reliable, extremely informed source...

Bob
Perhaps the sky is not falling but this topic has shed light on the fact that (IMHO) it should be the overall weight and weight distribution that we are after,  not what we use to get there.  Weight is made up of three components.  The air-frame, the power plant and the finish.  Some of us can afford to choose the power plant to match the other two but a lot of us can't so we have to build for what we have.  I think it is time to start thinking in terms of lighter finishes to make up for what will be heavier frames.  However, Bob said something that really struck home.  The wings he produced with thinner harder wood were lighter and stronger than the ones with thicker lighter wood.  I remember some of those wings and he is right. I also remember skinning sailplane wings ( you think we pull g's, try a zoom launch) with 1/40th veneer of some very straight grained stuff that was not balsa.   Why are we not still doing that?

We have adapted to all sorts of shortages over the years.  If it happens, this one will be no different.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »
I think the issue in general is any wood now isn't as lice as old growth stuff.  Now balsa mills ship in the beam sized wood, before they shipped a whole log and it could be cut and graded.  no so much when it come pre milled in a 4x4 post. 

I think that can use more of the tree that way, and shipping costs are less. 

In the ware house at balsa usa I am sure there was some contest wood there, but they did not separate it. 

But they had an impressive operation, lots of kits in stock and lots of wood finished in the bins.  Many machines all busy and more old machines to be refitted. 

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »
   There are many good articles in the old magazines on balsa and the process of producing usable wood. The last time we went through this, there was rumors that there was some success in plantation growing of balsa. It is difficult to do because of the huge amounts of water needed ( like in a rain forest) and because of the pollination process for it to grow One reason I heard the last time this went around was that the clear cutting of the rain forests was eliminating the other plants needed to cross pollinate the balsa tree, which is really kind of a weed and as some one mentioned, is hectically a hard wood. One of the plants needed is also a plant whose flower is a key ingredient in the local people's version of moonshine! And their business was taking off, so to speak, at that time. When the flow of ARF R/C models really began to flow from China, we would examine the kits at the hobby shop and I noticed the wood looked really 'clear" with hardly any grain, like some one else mentioned here.  I had heard through the indoor crowd that the stuff being grown on plantations was really desirable for the microfilm jobs. You don't need much wood for those, and it was opposite of what  Brett mentioned, as it was pretty consistent and predictable. If you ever get your hands on any of the Air Sail brand of free flight kits out of New Zealand the wood in those looks like what I mentioned.  The last time this was discussed on the forum here, someone posted a link to several companies web sites that showed what they offered in plantation grown balsa wood. I agree with the statement that the wood you need is dependent on what you want to use it for and the stress it will have to take. Nothing has changed in this respect at all over the years. We've had it pretty good for the last 10 or 20 years as far as getting the good stuff, and I have a pretty good stock so I won't worry about it. When the tanker created shortage was going on, I worked a lot of hours at the hobby shop at that time and was the resident balsa guru. We did have some difficulty getting ANY kind of wood for a while, and I was always accused of weeding out the good stuff for myself before putting the rest out in the balsa rack.But I can honestly say I did NOT do that, not as far as anyone else knows!
   Type at you later and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2018, 02:29:52 PM »

BALSA WOOD INDUSTRY - PAPUA NEW GUINEA

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2018, 02:37:28 PM »
Most of you guys have the solution to this in your pile of un-built kits.  I happen to have a Strega kit that is essentially a box of balsa perfect for re-design into something that would fly much better.  In fact, it's such a lumber yard that I might, by careful re-design, get two planes out of it!

Balsa shortage?  What balsa shortage?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »
So I am going to offer a differing point. 

In late October I was in Marinette Wisconsin and called up the balsa USA guys to see about getting visit. 

The took me on an awesome tour.  Photos were not allowed. 

If you are ever up there, call them for a visit, it was awesome.   I hand picked some 1/2 inch planks for some future profiles that I want to build

I saw the wood milling operations, resawing and kit production area. 

I also saw their balsa storage room and asked about the"balsa shortage"  I was let to believe that wood was scarce.   

The huge room (75' x 50; , 20 foot roof. was huge and full and overflowing with blanks of wood.   the blanks are roughly 3.5" x 3.5" x 48" I think.   To make larger sheets they did a glue up in dedicated wood press and a resaw.  it was impressive.  Multi blades saws like used for slicing bread.  They have probably 30 resaw stations.     

Per Balsa USA There is NO SHORTAGE  of balsa

They can buy all the Wood they have cash for.   They are frequently asked by their supplier to take more than they want.
They buy as much as they can, but no shortage per their view.   

Contest balsa is scarce, but in their view there is no shortage of wood.  A lot of it was 8lb + grade.

An interesting side effect of the ARF industry and the general dismal state of RC craftsmanship (that I learned when I got involved with Elliot's effort)- the kit and ARF industry *doesn't want light wood*, it's "too weak". It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they get a batch, go through and sort it by density, and then *toss* the very light wood, or burn it. Elliot can clarify, but I got the impression that he got the wood, sorted it (with a little help from his friends..), culled what we wanted, then sold the rest of it to the ARFers, who were glad to have it pre-sorted to get rid of the weak stuff!

Elliot proved to me that there is no real shortage of contest wood, just a shortage of ways to get to it. He had a pretty big *box truck* full of it, probably enough to supply everyone here for life, and very little of it above 6 lbs. Distribution is another story...

Brett

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2018, 08:53:17 AM »
Brett’s account is largely correct.

None of this hunt for light wood is free, it takes time and costs money but light wood can be found. The important question though is: “do builders genuinely want light wood and are they willing to pay the price of it”?
My answer after more than a decade of sourcing and helping builders is that the vast majority of control liners don’t want to pay for it (even if they SAY they want it).

Sport flyers don’t see low density wood as a necessity and some don’t even care what their planes weigh. Thus comes the demand argument again.

Windy Urtnowski (who many of us know of) was a multi award winning Concours d'Elegance and top 5 Nat’s competitor who sourced his light wood by buying SIG “contest wood” by mail order. As his local hobby shops rarely stocked this stuff, mail order was his only way. He would buy 3 times more than he needed to build a plane and then he DISCARDED 66% OF WHAT HE BOUGHT as reject. Making the wood he used effectively 300% MORE EXPENSIVE.
- Even to me, that is very serious money invested in Balsa!
How do I know all this?  - I stood with Windy in his basement workshop one day and watched him sift through his latest balsa order into useable and not useable with his Radio flyer friend standing by to take away the rest.

High quality craftsmen like Bob Hunt, rightly still find this high cost and sourcing a big challenge as they have to include a lot of light balsa in the parts they make. BUT . . . if control line builders demand good balsa and are willing to pay for it, suppliers will re-emerge.

The real challenge is not supply, but light wood that is CHEAP ENOUGH for the majority of stunt and free flight flyers, and no, I don’t have a solution for that one - good balsa costs more, plain and simple.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:41:02 PM by Bobs your Uncle »

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »

Another source of light, inexpensive balsa is crashed C/L planes built by serious stunt flyers. Purloined from the fields trash barrel, I use the wood for crash repairs and rubber scale builds.

Ara

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2019, 05:54:13 AM »

Interestingly, on the third stage of the Saturn V, they put the insulation on the inside instead of the outside, so it could only fall off and get sucked into the engine. But that never happened in practice, as far as anyone can tell.

Brett

Interesting, how does a piece of debris get "sucked into" a rocket engine?

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2019, 05:55:43 AM »

Brett

Interesting, how does a piece of debris get "sucked into" a rocket engine?

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2019, 06:03:46 AM »
Balsa was also considered to insulate the second-stage hydrogen tank of the Saturn 5. Then ended up using spray-on polyurethane because the quality control of balsa was so difficult - more or less the same issues we have, no two pieces are really alike, particularly when you are trying to insulate a rocket that is 33 feet in diameter! The had process control over the insulation.

The same polyurethane insulation was used on the Shuttle external tank, and then when it got saturated from rainwater and then frozen by the hydrogen, was notorious for falling off early in the boost. That's what went through the leading edge of the Columbia, leading to the disaster on re-entry.

Brett

Brett, how exactly does a piece of debris get sucked into a rocket motor? Also, there was technically no third stage on a Saturn V. They went from S2 to the S4B. Oneof the few little useless facts we learned in rocket scientist school.

Chuck
AMA 76478

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »
Brett, how exactly does a piece of debris get sucked into a rocket motor? Also, there was technically no third stage on a Saturn V. They went from S2 to the S4B. Oneof the few little useless facts we learned in rocket scientist school.

When the insulation falls off the inside of the tank. The S-IVb had the insulation inside the tank.

The Saturn V most certainly did have a 3rd stage, it was the S-IVb. The third is, well, 3rd, regardless of how you name it. 

Brett

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 05:04:21 AM »
   When the insulation falls off the inside of the tank. The S-IVb had the insulation inside the tank.

The Saturn V most certainly did have a 3rd stage, it was the S-IVb. The third is, well, 3rd, regardless of how you name it. 

Brett

So your argument is that a buoyant piece of material will sink to the bottom of the tank under thrust, make it past the inducer (remember, for the TLI burn the SIVB pump had an NPSHA equal to the vapor pressure of cryogenic LOX at startup) and into the turbopump? I can't remember if there was a pogo suppressor on the SIVB's motor. Number 2, you NEVER, NEVER, EVER under any circumstance put flammable organics into a LOX tank or in contact with the LOX.

Regarding the Saturn 3rd stage - Bret, that's an inside rocket joke. Yes, technically the SIVB was the 3rd stage, but back in my rocket days we would never refer to the 3rd stage in the stack, simply the SIVB. The Saturn V 3rd stage was a unicorn. I came along after the S5's were retired but I studied under the people who designed it.  We're so off topic now we can do this PM if you want, but if you're so interested you can research "Pi Ratios" for rockets  - and also how you need to change the nozzle geometry as the back pressure changes - and then the history of the S5 "third stage".

Fun discussion, I can go on about rockets and Top Fuel Motors for days!

OK, we're way off topic and we should continue this via PM. Or over some cold ones, my treat. 

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:24:30 AM by Chuck_Smith »
AMA 76478

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 07:13:20 AM »
Brett’s account is largely correct.

None of this hunt for light wood is free, it takes time and costs money but light wood can be found. The important question though is: “do builders genuinely want light wood and are they willing to pay the price of it”?
My answer after more than a decade of sourcing and helping builders is that the vast majority of control liners don’t want to pay for it (even if they SAY they want it).

Sport flyers don’t see low density wood as a necessity and some don’t even care what their planes weigh. Thus comes the demand argument again.

Windy Urtnowski (who many of us know of) was a multi award winning Concours d'Elegance and top 5 Nat’s competitor who sourced his light wood by buying SIG “contest wood” by mail order. As his local hobby shops rarely stocked this stuff, mail order was his only way. He would buy 3 times more than he needed to build a plane and then he DISCARDED 66% OF WHAT HE BOUGHT as reject. Making the wood he used effectively 300% MORE EXPENSIVE.
- Even to me, that is very serious money invested in Balsa!
How do I know all this?  - I stood with Windy in his basement workshop one day and watched him sift through his latest balsa order into useable and not useable with his Radio flyer friend standing by to take away the rest.

High quality craftsmen like Bob Hunt, rightly still find this high cost and sourcing a big challenge as they have to include a lot of light balsa in the parts they make. BUT . . . if control line builders demand good balsa and are willing to pay for it, suppliers will re-emerge.

The real challenge is not supply, but light wood that is CHEAP ENOUGH for the majority of stunt and free flight flyers, and no, I don’t have a solution for that one - good balsa costs more, plain and simple.
Bingo.  If you want really DELICIOUS wood, you need to pay three times more, because YOU will be sorting out the best and getting rid of the rest...it has always been that way. 
Ever see what a piece of indoor grade wood cost from Indoor Model Supply back in the day?  Like ten times normal cost?  Because...they did that work.  They did not call up a supplier and get indoor quality wood...they did the sorting.
As someone who bought balsa by the container to manufacture ARFs in China...trust me, there is no shortage of wood.  There is a lot more balsa production around than there used to be, thanks to windmill manufacturing.
The balsa arf market for radio control is GONE.  Done, over.  Most of the factories have closed.  Foam took over.  The kit market is long gone.  I know, there is Brodak, BUSA and  such, but it's all a tiny shadow of what it was.
Point is...you can get all the balsa you want.  And you can get all the super light balsa you want.  But you will have to pay for buying much more than you need and sorting out what you want...if every gram counts.
BUSA does not sell to ARF manufacturers...because there ARE no ARF manufacturers here in the USA.  Only Vietnam(where most balsa ARF manufacturing has moved due to increased labor costs in China) and China.  It is simply not possible to make a competitively priced ARF here in the USA.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
Thank goodness!

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2019, 09:12:36 AM »
Does anyone else wonder why balsa is so absolutely necessary for them windmills? Because structurally they could as well be made with foam core materials.
Maybe it's got something to do with long term resistance of structure?
But anyway, raping all that tree from rainforests does not exactly match with their image as clean energy:) L

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2019, 09:27:14 AM »
Many moons ago I was a boat designer/engineer working in that industry.  It was common to use end grain balsa in fiberglass hulls for stiffness.  It lays up with the resin perfectly and doesn't require an additional process to apply as would foam.  The foam is an oil-based product which can cost more at times at least.  I'd believe that many engineers working in the windmill business came from the boat making industry and could spec balsa because of it's known usability and simple familiarity with using it.  Just an educated guess...

Dave
AMA 20934

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here