News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A few more vintage scans of the late TIM DUNLOP'S modifed CLPA stunt models  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
The late Tim Dunlop of Portland...in his quest for always creating so very interesting stunt model modifications'
Attached are a few of his beautiful stunters with side mounted engines.

First is his awesome classical slightly modified Thunderbirds that he had such success with and always gleaned so many well deserved appearance points.

The next shots..are of another one of his interesting T-Bird modifications..they were more to follow...before he passed this life all too soon.
Don Shultz

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Beautiful work for sure!!!   y1

Do you have any more info on the mods and WHEN the planes were built??

Thanks for sharing!   #^

"Tight lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Beautiful work for sure!!!   y1

Do you have any more info on the mods and WHEN the planes were built??

Thanks for sharing!   #^

"Tight lines!"

Wes
The beautiful modified Candy Maroon Thunderbird...with the side mounted ST-40 is one engine that I have in my shoebox of engines.
 However the Blue Modified Thunderbird with the Side mounted McCoy 40 is another T Bird with different wing tips.
 I had a chance to fly both models...and I really preferred his Maroon TBird. I feel pretty certain that the beautiful Eliptical wing on Tim's made the difference over his earlier 67 Blue model the McCoy side mounted engine and handled the windy conditions considerable better.
(Check out the close up cheek cowling on the blue model...The model was a tad tail heavy so Tim just added another  McCoy 40 engine faux' head on the opposite side, so it would appear to be a twin cylinder. Those cool vents looking brass screen vents in the photo LOOK REALLY COOL...had to be removed later since that arrangement tended to block the exhause flow which caused that McCoy to overheat. After simply removing the purty little brass screens. That McCoy really settled down and made some beautiful beautiful engine runs from that point forward.
Tim had no problems and really enjoyed side mounted engines in many of his CLPA models, plus he felt the cheek cowls added strength and much needed rigidity' to the front end. Also he felt that because of this extra strength...less vibration was also an extra "boonie-boon for a happy engine toonie toon. LL~ H^^
However..
Tim ended up taking a beautiful black with pink stripes...to the 67 Calif. nats after his main custom red nats model was reduced to splinters the night before we left for the nats. He packed up the busted parts....and we spend the afternoon before qualifications at the dorm and on the hot tarmac that same afternoon...putting all those busted pieces back together again.
Last shot is of Tim putting the finishing touches on his #one airplane that never did quite fly the same as it did before. However Tim put on a pretty good show...and with matching red money coat to cover that busted tail. You had to look purty darn close to see the damage.
Well...at least 5 feet away, perhaps? LL~ H^^
opps..
see attached photos
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:20:30 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
I was just thinking last night of some of my old CLPA friends gone too soon and natually the late Tim Dunlop of Portland is always one of the first that comes to mind.
We traveled with his son Vance to the 67-68 nats and sooo many contests  together during those early daze-days in the 60's through late 70's until his passing.
Something about competition to me...was never quite the same without our beloved brother in balsa and paint fumes...since his passing? H^^
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
It is hard to go flying when you lose some one too early in life.  I still miss flying at Shawnee Mission Park with Ken Capehart who was getting back into control line after having by pass surgery.  Ken and his brother attended a VSC together as his brother live in Las Cruces.  The smile/grin on there faces had to be seen.  They set in that hot sun all week watching people fly.  Ken got home and was preparing for the next VSC.  He had an ignition engine that he co-owned with his brother.  How many people can get one or two flips starts on an ignition engine.  But in January of the year for VSC Mrs Capehart called me the tragic news that Ken was no more.  When I attended the funeral everyone in the family thanked me for the few years I spent with Ken.  They were a great couple.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here