News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:19:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A couple of finds  (Read 1597 times)

Offline RDJeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
A couple of finds
« on: July 28, 2021, 11:51:24 PM »
Hi gang!  I've been away for a few years.  Recently I acquired a couple of C/L kits. 

First is a Sig Magnum.  It seems this one is a pig in a poke, as I understand this plane had a foam wing, while there are assembled leading edge and trailing edges in the box, along with a set of ribs.  Some of the fuselage pieces are still in their printed wood sheets.  The biggest issue with this kit is there is a lot of "iron wood" in the box, the heaviest balsa I've ever seen!  I'm starting to think there's very little of the kit contained in the extra box, and it was a catch-all for wood from other builds.

Next is an Aerosmith Prowler kit, and this one appears to be complete and unmolested.  I went through the box, and everything seems to be there.  This looks like it'll be a fun little plane to build!  What are folks using for power on this one?

Thanks!

Offline Rick Campbell

• Lieutenant
Re: A couple of finds
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 03:01:49 PM »
Prowler is one of the best profile stutters out there. Was designed around a Fox .35, but a Brodak .40 would be better. Same weight, more guts.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 11:07:05 PM »
The MAGNUM is not a bad plane , with something like a G 51 or ST 60 in it . If built real light a ball race 40 or 4 will do .

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/i-love-a-great-day-of-flying-magnum-video/msg383501/#msg383501

Trying to find a picture of james Lee's mustangafied one . If you use just the Wing , stiff sheet flaps , and throw a Fuse. together youll be fine . got any controls ? ? .

Put " MAGNUM " in search , here . if you want info on em . Theres plenty of it .

Argh Ere ; https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/sig-magnum-54422/msg562046/#msg562046

Course , you could do it as a messerschmitt , P 40 Warhawk , or about anything else . Or just get creative and do a custom . Got the basics of a reasonable plane .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 11:13:28 PM »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:13:00 AM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 08:52:36 AM »
Just in case anyone is interested, I designed the Prowler mentioned in this thread at the request of Scott Smith. He wanted to kit the RD-1 design that I had produced for my son, Robby. The RD-1 is a great little plane, but I thought we should update the aesthetics a bit and incorporate a tapered wing for the kit version. The result was the Prowler, and it has become a very popular model over the years.

In case anyone is interested, I still have a number of plan sets for that model. Contact me for the details at 610-746-0106, or email me at robinhunt@rcn.com

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 10:08:29 AM »
Just to clarify....    That is Todd Lee's Mustang from the 2002 Worlds.....   It is somewhat removed from the Magnum...
Jim

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 08:22:24 PM »
Just to clarify....    That is Todd Lee's Mustang from the 2002 Worlds.....   It is somewhat removed from the Magnum...
Jim

ARGHH , but THIS ONE's NOT ! * ?

https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/events/nats/NatsNews09/2019NatsNews_CL%20Stunt.pdf page 4 .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTROL LINE PRECISION AEROBATICS (STUNT)https://www.modelaircraft.org › nats › NatsNews09
PDF
CONTROL LINE PRECISION AEROBATICS (STUNT). July 16. By Matt Neumann (mrstuka@cinergymetro.net). Monday was the official start of Control Line Precision ...
25 pages

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 01:02:25 PM »
RDJeff,
If you can organize the Magnum kit and find all of the kit parts, use them as templates for cutting out new parts from light wood and build the kit as stock except the nose of the fuselage. I'd follow the Magnum Plus (posted on the thread) nose for a stronger structure, better stabilized engine run. That was a weak point in most Magnums. The rest of it is pretty good and a very nice flying model. I'd power it with a Super Tigre G51 or V60, it needs power to fly well.
Chris...

Hi gang!  I've been away for a few years.  Recently I acquired a couple of C/L kits. 

First is a Sig Magnum.  It seems this one is a pig in a poke, as I understand this plane had a foam wing, while there are assembled leading edge and trailing edges in the box, along with a set of ribs.  Some of the fuselage pieces are still in their printed wood sheets.  The biggest issue with this kit is there is a lot of "iron wood" in the box, the heaviest balsa I've ever seen!  I'm starting to think there's very little of the kit contained in the extra box, and it was a catch-all for wood from other builds.

Next is an Aerosmith Prowler kit, and this one appears to be complete and unmolested.  I went through the box, and everything seems to be there.  This looks like it'll be a fun little plane to build!  What are folks using for power on this one?

Thanks!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here