News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:32:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A busy day in Space - April 11, 2019  (Read 2601 times)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
A busy day in Space - April 11, 2019
« on: April 11, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »
SpaceX created a masterpiece today. They successfully launched a Falcon Heavy rocket, delivering a 6 ton satellite to orbit, and recovered all three boosters right on each ones assigned bullseye. The two side boosters landed side-by-side at the cape, and the core booster landed minutes later on a barge in the Atlantic Ocean.

I wish they'd get a camera at a distance(maybe they did), so we could see the touchdown on the boat, because the ones mounted right at the landing pad can't stand the disruption of the violent vibrations from the incoming rocket. The video from the spacecraft showed remarkable views of the launch, the climb to orbit, the separation and return of the boosters, and finally the deployment of the Lockheed Martin built Arabsat 6A communication satellite. Otherwise, there's nothing I can say that you can't see right here: https://www.spacex.com/

Quite impressive... Good job SpaceX!

Unfortunately the Israelis had a tough day when their Beresheet Lander engine failed at the last minute, after its slow 7 week circuitous route to the moon. Very disappointing for the dedicated people who had devoted so much work and brain power, just to see it almost work. I'm not sure, but this may have been one of the X-Prize projects??? I need to read up on it some more. Here's a link for more on it: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47879538
Go Humans!
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: A busy day in Space - April 11, 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 04:34:15 PM »
Absolutely beautiful ..... gittin the boosters to fly back and land is tougher than an outside 5 ft bottom .... damn .... that's a lot of nozzles!

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »
A monumental day indeed!  The Israelites will get it sorted out and will make it work next time.
I am just very thankful that in here this can be discussed without repeated interference by flat earthers yelling about how it's all fake, the earth is flat, space isn't real and gravity doesn't exist.  Makes it hard to read posts about space related topics at times.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping I wasn't a loner on this. It's not like they tell you about any of it when it's happening on regular TV. This is all extremely important, done for us by the most brilliant minds in the world. Some of them even fly toy airplanes with us.

I spend a lot of my entertainment time keeping up with current science. I wish my brain wasn't so swiss cheesy now, because I have a harder time retaining it than I used to. I'm so relieved that the Moon is now a key stepping stone to the rest of the solar system, both inner and outer. I was afraid for a while that the focus on Mars was overlooking the best staging area for learning how to live off-world.

Here's to being outward bound, expanding our resources, and hopefully gaining sorely needed wisdom as we go.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »
Again,  proof that private enterprise  can do the job much better and cheaper than any government body. H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^

60 years later, after the government paid for the development, and carefully documented exactly what was necessary in fine detail, mostly available for download, yes.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 08:04:49 PM »
A monumental day indeed!  The Israelites will get it sorted out and will make it work next time.

It was mostly just bad luck - their IMU (gyro and accelerometer package), which is the heart of the control system, failed right at the beginning of the final descent. They got it swapped to the redundant unit, but not in time.

I am just very thankful that in here this can be discussed without repeated interference by flat earthers yelling about how it's all fake, the earth is flat, space isn't real and gravity doesn't exist.  Makes it hard to read posts about space related topics at times.

Depends on where you look, certainly certain areas (particularly sci.space.... and it's spinoffs) is dominated by the biggest array of cranks and idiots you are ever likely to run across. Want to talk to Gus Grissom's kid (who is nuttier than a fruitcake about NASA somehow arranging the fire), have a lengthy discussion with a guy who thinks there is an advanced civilzation on Venus that NASA is covering up? No problem! Ever wanted to know how the entire universe is actually only one tiny section of a single plutonium atom? We know where to send you. It's like a forum full of Avaiojets.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 08:42:04 PM »

Man, that's a really expensive GoPro ad.  ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »
  Has any video surfaced of the boosters landing? The last time some one posted a video of the boosters landing back near the pad, I watched it over and over!! Really mesmerizing! Almost like it was CGI. I was a "space kid" , never missing a Mercury, Gemini, or Apollo launch, and vividly remember sitting in the dark of my Mom's bedroom watching Neil Armstrong take those first steps. I am really a pistons and props kind of guy, but still love the real space stuff!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 11:04:11 PM »
It was mostly just bad luck - their IMU (gyro and accelerometer package), which is the heart of the control system, failed right at the beginning of the final descent. They got it swapped to the redundant unit, but not in time.

Depends on where you look, certainly certain areas (particularly sci.space.... and it's spinoffs) is dominated by the biggest array of cranks and idiots you are ever likely to run across. Want to talk to Gus Grissom's kid (who is nuttier than a fruitcake about NASA somehow arranging the fire), have a lengthy discussion with a guy who thinks there is an advanced civilzation on Venus that NASA is covering up? No problem! Ever wanted to know how the entire universe is actually only one tiny section of a single plutonium atom? We know where to send you. It's like a forum full of Avaiojets.

Brett
LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 11:51:46 PM »
  Has any video surfaced of the boosters landing?

https://www.spacex.com  entire (booster) mission. My Denver colleagues built the satellite, which you can see separating at the end, and see some of the parts like the star tracker heads and the LAE engine.

Brett

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 04:35:06 AM »
  Has any video surfaced of the boosters landing? The last time some one posted a video of the boosters landing back near the pad, I watched it over and over!! Really mesmerizing! Almost like it was CGI. I was a "space kid" , never missing a Mercury, Gemini, or Apollo launch, and vividly remember sitting in the dark of my Mom's bedroom watching Neil Armstrong take those first steps. I am really a pistons and props kind of guy, but still love the real space stuff!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Hi
Here's some good video of landings

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 09:09:08 AM »
The comment about Avaiojet probably not helpful.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 10:02:44 AM »
  Has any video surfaced of the boosters landing?
The post I started this thread with has a link to the whole launch, boosters landing, and satellite deployment.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 10:32:36 AM »
best belly laugh today

"It's like a forum full of Avaiojets. "

now off to clean a monitor n key board
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 01:04:05 PM »
The comment about Avaiojet probably not helpful.

Maybe not, but it made me spit out my coffee from laughing so hard.
Now you can all see why Brett is the UNCONTESTED, “Biggest Smartass” in Stunt.
Well played Mr Buck

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »
Again,  proof that private enterprise  can do the job much better and cheaper than any government body. H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^
Greetings Ty!  While what you say might have a modicum of truth there's some folks that might disagree with you .... https://learnnavi.org/ !! :o ;D LL~ LL~

Jim

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 02:07:45 PM »
Well played Mr Buck

Thank you! As you well know, I have spent decades carefully cultivating my craft, and (unlike stunt flying) have an innate, hereditary talent for it as well.

However, reality helped out considerably here, because "sci.space..." *really is just like that. Guys with topics like planetary science, physics, aerospace engineering they are utterly obsessed with, but are so inconceivably ignorant that they don't even understand how little they understand. They usually grab on to a single very narrow "gotcha" they think they have found, and then build an entire universe of reasoning around that easily-dismissed idea. And the tendency to see persecution and dark conspiracies everywhere, trying to "undermine" them and keep their unique truth from being openly discussed.

They have the same sort of tendencies to try to dominate or shut down everyone else, and effectively drive people away from daring to respond or interact with them. They are classic Cranks, with all that entails. It's an interesting combination of psychological disorders, and I have to admit to being fascinated by them - not for their important information that they, and only they, really understand, but what combination of factors makes them so insufferable. USENET, and now the internet, have been a godsend; used to, all they could do it stand on a box ranting at passers-by on a streetcorner or write letters to scientists demanding that they deny their theories, or come out in support. Now, they can transmit this nonsense to potentially millions of people, all at one, in a few seconds, for free.

Scott Grissom, for instance, knows and has exactly zero training or education on the topic or 50's aerospace fabrication and manufacturing techniques. But once NASA allowed the families to view the cockpit remains from Apollo 1, in a few minutes he found a "smoking gun" "proving" that NASA "murdered" his dad (and by coincidence, two other people) in the form of a switch backer plate, apparently used to rework the switch panel. And can't tolerate or understand any countering information (like, for instance, the fire started in the aft compartment near the ECU housing, not from a supposed "spark" underneath the switch panel).

Anyone who doubts the assessment of any of these space nutters, go find whoever has archived the USENET group sci.space.policy, and search for "Brad Guth" (people on venus), Thomas Lee Elefritz (mindless Rutan and Musk fanboi), or larger USENET sci... groups and search for Archimedes Plutonium (universe is a plutonium atom, maybe). Go to ZetaTalk (Planet X and "pole flips"), etc.

Brett

p.s. An example: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YpWAnAp1uGaHkwiaGpmcLKr9_sDRS6OYsMVoDTwDYkc/preview  And I remind everyone that the surface of Venus is so hot that conventional solder would melt, and, the clouds are sulfuric acid. And, also, that the pressure at the surface is the same as it is at *3000 feet* deep in the ocean.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 02:27:25 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 09:38:06 PM »
Well played Mr Buck

Larry, I was wondering if I was the only one that did that when I read that line.  My wife thought I was having a seizure.

Mike

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
A busy day in Space - April 11, 2019
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »
Arguing flat earth or what’s on the other side of the moon for real— carnival stuff. Doesn’t hurt anyone. Or not much. Much worse manipulation happening. Relentless fabrications swirling. People believing these fabrications. Or choosing to say they do. It’s as if someone could shoot someone on let’s say fifth avenue in NYC in daylight in front of video cameras in front of witnesses and

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Arlan McKee

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 11:12:18 PM »

Arguing flat earth or what’s on the other side of the moon for real— carnival stuff. Doesn’t hurt anyone. Or not much. Much worse manipulation happening. Relentless fabrications swirling. People believing these fabrications. Or choosing to say they do. It’s as if someone could shoot someone on let’s say fifth avenue in NYC in daylight in front of video cameras in front of witnesses and

I'll take Trump Derangement Syndrome for $1000, Alex.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 11:27:17 PM »
I'll take Trump Derangement Syndrome for $1000, Alex.

Probably. If you look up leftist psuedo-intellectual poser in the dictionary, you probably find his picture. But you have to admit, when you have 95% of the supposedly objective press/news media pushing one ludicrous conspiracy theory after another, every day, all day long, for 2 1/2 years straight, his basic point is hard to dispute.

Brett

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 05:59:41 AM »
“We’re going to Mars.” Say it and it’s so. Foxy logic. Different in the sixties when we actually went to the moon. Yet 40 percent or so say, “Yeah we’re there. He said we’re there.”

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 09:39:44 AM »
[quote author=Brett Buck ..surface of Venus is so hot that conventional solder would melt, and, the clouds are sulfuric acid. And, also, that the pressure at the surface is the same as it is at *3000 feet* deep in the ocean.
[/quote]

What kind of solder they use instead, any idea? L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 03:49:59 PM »
Quote from: Brett Buck
..surface of Venus is so hot that conventional solder would melt, and, the clouds are sulfuric acid. And, also, that the pressure at the surface is the same as it is at *3000 feet* deep in the ocean.

You mean for actual Earth-launched Venus landers? Or mythical Venusian advanced civilizations? The former, regular old 63/37 solder - they just keep it cool long enough to do the mission, then after a few hours, it overheats and dies. The latter  - battery acid and unicorn feces.

Brett

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2019, 06:43:32 PM »
Wherever you can, you crimp instead of soldering. It is more reliable in a vibration environment, and fewer people have conniptions over tin whiskers. Like on cables. And using a real crimper, not a pair of "stunt pliers."

Inside the boxes, you cool things, at least as long as you can. If you are going to drop gear on a hot planet....well, there's only so much that a thermal mass and radiator can do. Stunt is much, much easier. I think I heard a tweet about that too. Not sure anymore....

Reminds me of the joke about the engineer who didn't make it thru the pearly gates. So he fixed up Hades with air conditioning, a beer cooler, and even built an escalator for Sisyphus....

Divot McSlow

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »
I thought last week was a good opportunity for an interesting space-science discussion. I hoped so, anyway. If you looked closely, I guess we actually had a couple of points of interest amongst the bull @#$%. Temperature and atmospheric pressure on Venus accounted for something, I suppose.

I'll probably even try again next time some noteworthy events happen.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2019, 10:27:31 PM »
  No one brought up the photo of the black hole??Or the first flight of the Strato Launcher. I would call those both significant space developments. In some ways it's a little bit like it was when I was a kid!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 03:30:35 AM »
I led off Friday night's Stunthangar Hangouts show by talking about the Black Hole photo in my introductory monologue. One of our own SH members, a Flat Earth follower, posted in the chatbox challenging me and calling me a sheeple, lol.

The chatbox is recorded and replayed beside the video if you go to The Stunthangar Youtube channel home page(or my channel) where the reruns are posted, you can see how it went.
Rusty
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:52:00 AM by RknRusty »
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 10:24:14 AM »

You mean for actual Earth-launched Venus landers? Or mythical Venusian advanced civilizations?

Brett

The Venusian, of course. I've had my share of satellite- and lander soldering in our civilization. L

Offline EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »
I led off Friday night's Stunthangar Hangouts show by talking about the Black Hole photo in my introductory monologue. One of our own SH members, a Flat Earth follower, posted in the chatbox challenging me and calling me a sheeple, lol.

The chatbox is recorded and replayed beside the video if you go to The Stunthangar Youtube channel home page(or my channel) where the reruns are posted, you can see how it went.
Rusty

I missed the chat session, but did read about it in the news. As an avid photo enthusiast, my only objection is in calling it a photo since it was taken with a radio telescope... not a traditional camera by any means.  You could argue similar things about infra red, and other means of taking images, true, but to me this is even further removed from traditional photography. Somehow calling an image perceived by a satellite array an actual photo feels misleading for some reason. For me, a "Photo" implies something that could be seen with the naked eye and thus was recorded in at least a similar optical fashion as our eyes work.
Eric

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »
Yeah, I get what you're saying, Eric. But even in the visible spectrum, satellite photos are stitched together from many multiple orbits to form some pretty amazing composites of a whole object... or planet. Google Earth is a great example of that. Only things do get lost when something in motion is happening from one orbit to the next. Once I was looking at the Google, or maybe Microsoft campus, and for a moment I saw a soccer game in progress. But after a slight change in zoom or position, it was gone and I could only ever find empty soccer fields again.

That's not quite the same thing as radio telescopic images from an array where we have to shift the signal data to bring it to life in false color so we can "pretend" to see something in a whole other spectrum. Besides they probably only use the term "photo" loosely to describe it to a worldwide audience that wouldn't know what the hell a "radiographic image..." I don't even know what it's called... is.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here