News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:18:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 81st Anniversary of Pearl Harbor  (Read 973 times)

Offline John Gluth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
  • Knight 1992
81st Anniversary of Pearl Harbor
« on: December 06, 2022, 04:26:43 PM »
Let us always remember.
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: 81st Anniversary of Pearl Harbor
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 09:48:53 PM »

Never forget.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 12:18:40 AM »
Posted in respectful memory of all who have served the free world in defence of the freedoms and liberties that we continue to enjoy today.

Captain Robert Whitley, CD (retired)

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 06:28:02 AM »
Hopefully we'll never forget but I doubt if much is said about in schools anymore. It is now more important to put a litter box in a classroom for those who are confused.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:02:04 AM by Bill Morell »
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 07:00:15 AM »
Yes, moments of truth, Thank you!
While walking daily, witnessing the DISRESPECT of litter, reminds me of the sacrifices of Good Young Men for our Freedom.
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 07:04:54 AM »
Pages of December 7, 1941 Honolulu Star Bulletin newspaper.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 07:22:15 AM by GallopingGhostler »

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 08:08:16 AM »
Honolulu, the day after (Dec 8, 1941), Honolulu Advertiser Newspaper front page. These I had scanned and digitized at a local office supply store may be 7 years back. These were from reprints as souvenirs I bought from a store in Honolulu while a college student in the late 1970's. It was 8 pages full size, can't remember exact cost, think I paid only a buck or 2 per set back then, I bought a dozen. Over the years, would give them to friends and family as gifts. Now I am down to my last 2 sets, the paper has aged to the point where it now looks like it was printed in 1941.  %^@

My father tried to enlist but they said he was too young (17), then was drafted a year later, spent time in France on the other side of the globe in an Army Combat Engineers battalion. He never spoke much of the war. In his photo album there were a few black and white photos of him with friends, with his wire rim Teddy Roosevelt style glasses.

But, as a child, enjoyed the WW2 static and balsa kits I received from him back in the 1960's.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 09:25:36 AM »
Hopefully we'll never forget but I doubt if much is said about in schools anymore. It is now more important to put a litter box in a classroom for those who are confused.

Good one Bill!  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Jerry

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 04:03:20 PM »
As the father of a current Marine, former Air Force enlisted, and member of a family with a long military service record, I agree - never forget, and just as important - be prepared!

I also choose this day to celebrate Japan as one of the most successful democracies in the world, a great ally, and the cornerstone of our Asian alliances.  And a beautiful country!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 07:09:02 PM »
The one history question I never missed. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 07:14:45 PM »
If only the men of  Dad's generation  [Sigma Nu Girl 404th FG 9th AAF...St. Lo Belgium ] could foresee what they were  fighting for.
 so called [[[ANTI FASCISM]]]...ANTIFA...?
Unlimited ILLEGAL ALIEN INVASION...of every White Christian founded nation on Earth?
NWO AGENDA 21...?
pedophilia / sodomite  indoctrination in Public Schools..?
Orwellian HATE SPEECH / WRONGTHINK punishable by law...?
Give me a BIG fucking break.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 09:04:10 PM »
2nd page of the Dec. 7, 1941 Honolulu Star Bulletin newspaper. Thought you might enjoy the advertising of the era.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 09:26:46 PM »
If only the men of  Dad's generation  [Sigma Nu Girl 404th FG 9th AAF...St. Lo Belgium ] could foresee what they were  fighting for.
 so called [[[ANTI FASCISM]]]...ANTIFA...?
Unlimited ILLEGAL ALIEN INVASION...of every White Christian founded nation on Earth?
NWO AGENDA 21...?
pedophilia / sodomite  indoctrination in Public Schools..?
Orwellian HATE SPEECH / WRONGTHINK punishable by law...?
Give me a BIG fucking break.

No doubt, and just the tip of the iceberg.

However, I vote we keep this thread on track, respectfully honoring the members of the Greatest Generation who were lost that morning.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 10:11:38 PM »
However, I vote we keep this thread on track, respectfully honoring the members of the Greatest Generation who were lost that morning.

One thing that characterized that generation was hard work, high morality overall and ability to see the job to the finish. Undaunted by the grievous attack, utilizing tactics to make up for weaknesses and inferiority of equipment, came back with a fighting spirit to bring the war to a close.

For example, the marvels of mass production of slower but proven Liberty Ships kept the supplies moving faster than the enemy could sink them. Equipment production ramped up immediately with mostly prewar aircraft, as it would take time for research and development to provide improved equipment over the obsolescent. Aircraft tactics were developed to capitalize on the best strengths of the pre-WW2 aircraft to gain advantage. Although the tubby Grumman F4F Wildcat was slower, it could outdive the Japanese Zeros and gain an upper hand on the upswing. When this was capitalized on, they were able to down 10 Zeros to the loss of 1 Wildcat.

It was said that a liar was someone who was a coward, did not have the tenacity to stand up to the truth. Slackers at work were also looked down upon. One was expected to work hard, carry a task to its finish. They learned how to economize, it wasn't unusual to wear every day work / play clothing that had patches sewn to extend the life thereof.

We had the manufacturing capacity then to see things through to the end. Today, I see less people who are self starters, who must have someone kept on top of them to produce work. I see more and more grown kids now adults still living with their parents, and doing little to further themselves to be self sufficient.

With our manufacturing base gone exported overseas, and less than half of the young men entering adulthood not being able to meet simple military standards of fitness due to obesity, addictions to illicit recreational substances, failure to complete schooling, siring children out of wedlock and etc., has already placed us at a disadvantage.

If we were that way during WW2, we would have been a vassal state of another nation.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 01:25:14 AM »
One thing that characterized that generation was hard work, high morality overall and ability to see the job to the finish. Undaunted by the grievous attack, utilizing tactics to make up for weaknesses and inferiority of equipment, came back with a fighting spirit to bring the war to a close.

For example, the marvels of mass production of slower but proven Liberty Ships kept the supplies moving faster than the enemy could sink them. Equipment production ramped up immediately with mostly prewar aircraft, as it would take time for research and development to provide improved equipment over the obsolescent. Aircraft tactics were developed to capitalize on the best strengths of the pre-WW2 aircraft to gain advantage. Although the tubby Grumman F4F Wildcat was slower, it could outdive the Japanese Zeros and gain an upper hand on the upswing. When this was capitalized on, they were able to down 10 Zeros to the loss of 1 Wildcat.

It was said that a liar was someone who was a coward, did not have the tenacity to stand up to the truth. Slackers at work were also looked down upon. One was expected to work hard, carry a task to its finish. They learned how to economize, it wasn't unusual to wear every day work / play clothing that had patches sewn to extend the life thereof.

We had the manufacturing capacity then to see things through to the end. Today, I see less people who are self starters, who must have someone kept on top of them to produce work. I see more and more grown kids now adults still living with their parents, and doing little to further themselves to be self sufficient.

With our manufacturing base gone exported overseas, and less than half of the young men entering adulthood not being able to meet simple military standards of fitness due to obesity, addictions to illicit recreational substances, failure to complete schooling, siring children out of wedlock and etc., has already placed us at a disadvantage.

If we were that way during WW2, we would have been a vassal state of another nation.

Unfortunately, that change is so commonplace.  I'm an old geezer; when I think of my parents and many of their generation, two other traits come to mind: (1) seriously looking out for those around them, especially the vulnerable, and (2) a very healthy dose of integrity.

As a teenager, I watched my Dad buy a very nice car one Saturday morning: no contract, no paperwork, just "Pay me when you can".  I often think his photo should be in dictionaries next to the word, 'cuz he defined it.

Dennis   
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 08:59:29 AM »
Definitely a day to remember.
My future father-in-law was there.
He was a Chief Warrant Officer in the US Army Quartermaster Corps and he saw it all.
Fortunately, he was not injured.

He passed away on September 10 of this year at the age of 102.

Yes, we will always remember.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here