News:

• April 17, 2024, 06:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home pull tester and cable swaging.  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Home pull tester and cable swaging.
« on: September 20, 2008, 11:24:44 AM »
While building a replacement for my outdoor work bench/test stand support, I added HOME PULL TESTER as a 3rd function.

The key element is a ball bearing grooved trolley supported by a couple of angle iron clips.  I needed a steel cable, similar to a control handle cable, to complete the system.
As mentioned here and elsewhere, swaging is the best way to terminate cable, but the tool is kinda spendy.

I bought the cable at Tony's (Home Depot), for 20 cents a foot.  The swage kit was $1.24.  They allowed me to do the swaging myself in the store without buying the tool.   U.S. Boat also condones this practice, but they didn't have any 1/16" cable.

I used 1/16" cable because it's virtually identical to what comes on the better ready-made handles.  The rated working load is 124 pounds.

While I'm testing my lines and planes, I will also be testing the cable and swaging process before I apply it handles.

So in use, if I want to test just a plane, I can clip the leadouts to the cable and lift the weight.  I'm making lines, I hook up a handle and the lines and lift the weight.  Currently, I have 20# and 33# weights, which covers anything I intend to build.
Paul Smith

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Home pull tester and cable swaging.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »
I make up my own lines from bulk cable.  I drive a small nail into my patio bench (it is 80" long) and after cutting to length and wrapping the ends, slip the ferrules over the nail. I pull each wire individually to what I estimate about 50 lbs.  Since I use the "AMA wrap", they always pass the pull test.

Floyd in OR
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Home pull tester and cable swaging.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
That was my old process.  I'm trying to upgrade.  At least up to 19th century technology. 

A lot of contests pull test by feel.  This system is intended to be used on existing lines and airplanes to guard against failure due to fatigue. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:35:18 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here