News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:07:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 35 size Stiletto airplane  (Read 20576 times)

Offline Noel Corney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: 35 size Stiletto airplane
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2008, 11:35:29 PM »
Well I wanted to jump in on this one but couldn't find my plans. I ordered a new 660 @ 35 size from Peter White then found mine today 35 size is the 660 shape resized 595 sq in is stated w area on plan, This is m@p kit plan. I want to build this model as an electric, Guess what I fixed my arf Vector without using the new laser cut Brodak ribs I bought, These ribs sit on the plan exactly with the exception of being 1/2 '' short on the trailing edge, I think I can make this up somehow if I think about it for a while, anyhow its a way out for any one wanting an easy way out for a set of ribs. My original had a St 46 and was a great flier.

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2008, 11:46:49 PM »
Sorry for the typo it should read 585 sq in. Regards Noel.

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »
Hi Gary,
Okay I went and measured some plans and here is the results on the wing:

35-Stiletto          MP Kit Stiletto
             _________          ____________

span          54"                        54 1/4" (.250")

Root          11"                         10. 3/32" ( .093")
Chord

Tip              9"                           8 1/4"  ( .250")
chord

Panel          25"                          24 7/8"   ( .875" )
span
inboard        +                                 +

Panel          24"  = 49" total          24 1/8"   ( .125" )   = 49"                                                                          
span                         panel span
outboard

Tip max.         2 1/2" ( .50" )           2 5/8"   ( .625" )
 width

Finally, Airfoil shape is only slightly different between the 2 designs.

As you can see the 35-Stiletto has bigger dimensions and is a different wing than the kit wing.
I will leave it up to you to compute the difference in area of the panels without tips. The tip area is fairly close between both planes.  Gary my plans also say 585 sq" wing area. I measured the actual wing a few months ago and came up with 575 sq" figure so I guess I had some measuring errors on a 3 dimensional wing.

( please note*- there are some variations between mine and your measurements on the kit plans so I double )(checked my measurements. The kit plan lines are not exactly superfine and precise & may cause variation    )

Looking closely at the kit plans it clearly says plans drawn by Dick Mathis on 10/10/77 and the 35-Stiletto was flown in 1974 and published in Model Airplane News in March 1975.

When you see what is being said you realize that Dick Mathis has actually kitted a scaled down replica of Les McDonalds world champion Stiletto 660. The 660 is the actual national and international competition model not the scaled down kit which agrees with your own conclusions that the kit plane is a copy or replica..

Gary,If you want to run a pipe then Randy's PA 40 ultralight Merlin is just the ticket and he can get you hooked up with the right pipe and prop as well.  Best wishes with your project.

Hi Ty,
I have the M&P "660 replica" version -585sq" airplane with the longer and lower rudder. If the other style kit you have is also a 585 sq" wing area plane then M&P must have produced a slightly scaled down version of the
35-Stiletto which has the othe rudder shape. This also helps to make sense when it say's on my plans " version updated to the latest specifications".
I never before knew there was an earlier version of Stiletto kit from M&P to update from. You learn something all the time. Interesting...

I am looking at a set of Tom Dixon plans for the 1974 35-Stiletto so yes he does sell the plans and Randy Smith also sell the plans for this plane as well.

As for the Stiletto XL I seem to remember Tom saying this plan was based on reccomended improvements that came from Les but I don't know details. I have the 660 plans but not the XL plans so I haven't done a side by side comparsion so I have no basis to comment on any differences.

Okay guys we have clarified the wing numbers difference between the 1974 35-Stiletto and the M&P kit Stiletto's and it seems that these M&P kits were Les McDonald inspired but were Dick Mathis designed so things may be a little clearer. If anyone knows how to contact Dick Mathis then feel free to contact him and let us know what you find out.
This has been interesting so I want to thank you guy's for your input.  Good stuff guys!

PS: Hi Randy,    See I told you guys Randy knows his Stiletto history. Randy thanks for clearing up the details a little for all of us. Thanks you.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I cut out the ribs and fuse off of the print that looks like it would be Les's 35 Stiletto. I'm spacing the ribs two inches apart. The print shows to set the outboard wing in bye one inch. I'm going to make equal panels, might have to use a little more tip weight? Wing tips I'm going to make to be three inches. Going to keep the same moments. Same tail, stab section???Maybe two inches wider? I haven't decided, to lazy to do the math. Been thinking maybe shorten the flaps, maybe an inch, that way I could have trim tabs, if needed? Going to make elevator and flaps removal, so I can increase if needed? Just some dumb ideas. I've never used a engine extension (with the fox motor used to always use them.) Seemed like the extension was always alot of trouble. I have a reworked tigre 51 and a reworked tigre 46, probably use one of these babies. Any thoughts???? Appreciate your input. Going to jig up the wing and fuse this coming week. If I get her together will post some pictures to give ya a laugh, have a great day Gary
Gary Anderson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here