News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Florida fliers - after IRMA  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Florida fliers - after IRMA
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »
Guys,
Just checking in from Jupiter, FL. All is well, lost power but should be restored today. No major damage. Hope the rest of the FL guys did OK.

Best,    DennisT

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Florida fliers - after IRMA
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:57:05 AM »
Seems fine here in Paradise....I'll go to the MCRC field tomorrow afternoon....
Glad you're good!

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:52:24 AM »
Fingers crossed, Dennis.  Hope to hear from others soon.

Ted

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
I have two sisters with families and a brother with family in the Melbourne area.  Haven't heard from them yet!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 07:28:14 PM »
We never lost power but it did get windy. I boarded up all windows because my wife told me to.

Took down the plywood today and put the patio furniture back on the patio. Just tree branches, small and large but no damage.

Never lost cable either.

Really lucky.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:13:47 PM »
I also have brother and sister in law in Melbourne... haven't heard yet.

Haven't heard from Les Mcdonald or Walter Umland.

Glad to hear that Dennis and Charles are OK.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
In-laws in Melbourne stayed and are OK  Power is back on.

Glad to hear that Walter is with you, Ty. Pray that his house is OK.

Still haven't heard about Les, and Orestes.
AMA 7544

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »
Reporting from Miami. No damage, lost power for 2 days. We now have power, Cable TV, and internet. Most of Miami has no power, a lot of trees down. I have not explored yet, I am limited on gas. Reports from the Keys are not good except Key West came thru well. Areas of Miami are in bad shape. I was extremely lucky.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
Melbourne Florida.  if u didn't get hit by one of the tornadoes should be fine .lots of wind but very little rain trees and wooden fences down all over power just starting to come back.just got my Internet back /about half of the major road traffic signals still out. all my Free Flight Buddy's here have power back on and no damage

if I had some info I could try to make contact with your relatives here in  Melbourne Palm Bay area

my email is f2cracer@aol.com send me a phone # ,address or email and I will di what I can Bob
rad racer

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 05:32:16 AM »
Eric Viglione is ok in Tampa but power is out.  Don't know about Bill Rich yet.  Pretty sure Gene Martine is ok up in Jax.
Steve

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
No problems for me. Power went off Sunday morning about 9:30 and then back on around 10PM on Tuesday.
 Irma could have been so much worse!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 06:06:47 AM »
Spoke to Gene a couple days ago. They did okay. Lost power overnight and had a couple small tree limbs come down, but other than that no damage
Matt Colan

Eric Viglione

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »
All ok here. Power is back on. Generator worked great. No cable/ internet.  Cell is spotty at best.

My house looked like a war zone, but it was just the usual tree self cleaning routine. Spent a couple days cutting and dragging stuff to the curb. Almost looks decent again.

Most of our traffic lights are out and people are supposed to stop like a 4 way but many people are ignorant and just blast through so you have to drive very defensively. Gas is still tight, but getting better.

I guess the lesson learned here is that I wouldn't want to stick around for a direct hit Cat 4 or 5... that prolly would have just wiped our county from the map. Trouble is, if you wait around to see if it is going to be a direct hit on you, it is almost too late to evacuate, get gas on the evac route, etc. And perhaps end up stranded on the intterstate in a worse place than where you started. Tough choices, but you can only do what is within your means.

This time, we did ok and are quite thankfull.

EricV

Offline mike waldron

• 21 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
Well put Eric..  I agree.

Mike

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:21:35 PM by mike waldron »

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »
Glad you guys are ok.
Surely someone was watching out for y'all.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Ed Carlaw

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »
My brother and sister-in-law are in Pembroke Pines. I haven't heard from them yet. Last I heard from the news there was no power there yet. Ed.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »
  My daughter lives about 10 miles north of Eric in Palm Harbor and they had a lot of damage . Took down all there trees in there back yard and fences on two sides of the property  The neighbors next door lost several trees also. They were having gusts to over 80 MPH. My son inlaw has a tall ham antenna tower but it survived OK
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 10:28:59 PM »
Good to hear from you folks. Any word from the Smiths?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Eric Viglione

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 06:06:37 AM »
I heard from Wayne, they have some yard cleanup and lost power like most of us, but are OK. Wayne just had neck/spine surgery a couple of weeks ago, so I hope he takes it easy or hires some of the cleanup work out.

Riding around town, you couldn't swing a small cat by its tail without hitting a downed tree. A lot of neglected tree trimming got done all at once too... but those tree's will get sick, rot, or insects if people don't go back and dress the broken branch ends with a chainsaw and seal them. I just pulled 2 trees before we even knew about the storm coming, making way to reach a sickly 3rd tree with a crane. The problem is, the crane operator skipped town to go make big bucks in Houston before they removed the 3rd tree, so we were stuck with it through the storm. Thank God it held. More storms coming from African coast... need to stir up tree guys and see if we can finish the job asap.
EricV

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »
We lost power Sunday night. Monday morning it was still too windy to venture far from the door. Lots of broken limbs, but no damage to the house, vehicles, or camper.
The generator kept our fridge cold and the fans and TV going. We never lost water, so flushing and showering were still possible.
Cell service got sketchy Monday afternoon.
Power came back on Wednesday afternoon. The peasants rejoiced!
My branches were all dragged to the curb by Tuesday, then I helped the neighbors (they're in their 80's and have no business working that hard) get their bigger stuff moved. The neighborhood kids picked up the twigs, etc.
I woke up Thursday morning sore as all get out. I'm thinking I have no business working that hard any more, but when you have an operational chainsaw you become pretty popular during these events.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 01:25:27 PM »
Checking in from Hollywood, Florida my little corner of paradise. While many already have power in my fair city, I am not one of the fortunate few.  In fact, I had power Tuesday for one and a half hours when an undergroud FPL junction blew.  Waiting for power. Can't come fast enough. Otherwise all good. We escaped the green weanie
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »
Well Marci and I are still here, which is about it for the good news. Got power and stuff back last night. The power in Marci's moms place (Century Village Boca Raton) was out till last night as well, and only got it back because residents call out News 12 to air that they still had no power. The building is 4 floors and many residents were trapped in their homes because the elevators were out. We were going to have Marci's mom moved back to her place from the Hospice care center today, but got a call at 5 am telling us that she passed away around 4:45 am. The hospice people were terrific (Trust Bridge) and had her evacuated to the top hospice care facility in Florida the night before Irma hit.

The plan to get her back home yesterday did not happen as her building still had no power and today she was already gone. On an other front, I managed to bash up the wing on my pathfinder pretty good when I accidentally smacked into it while stumbling around in the dark. I am now considering whether I should repair the damage or just trash the whole thing and start on something else. But all that is on hold till Marci and I get moms estate all squared away.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here