General control line discussion > Open Forum

2024 F2B World Championships: Be Part of History

<< < (4/4)

BillLee:

--- Quote from: Istvan Travnik on March 26, 2024, 06:11:03 PM ---Except mine.
Using paperless scoring system, means 4 or 6 volunteers LESS for the fluent data processing.
 Results' displaying, etc. is a bonus; when a number of spectators watching, is a great advantage.
Istvan

--- End quote ---

We considered the electronic score entry pads as used in 2018, again in 2022 and, so you have said, in 2023 in the last Eurochamps. But when we did, the  only experience that I could get voiced back to me was the same as Howard mentioned above. This was before the Eurochamps last summer as I recall, so that experience was not available.

In discussing the pad scoring, we realized a number of things.

First, and probably most important: cost. We did not have the pads, we would have had to buy them, and we simply were and are running on a very thin edge financially already.

Second, experience.  As I mentioned, our total set of information available was from the 2018 WChamps in France, and the 2022 WChamps in Poland. And neither was encouraging to us.

Third, climbing a learning curve with a totally new system with which nobody in the United States was familiar.

Fourth, we have a complete computer system for managing the entire World Champs. All the way from accepting the Preliminary Entry information, through the processing, making draws, tabulating results, creating timely and accurate results for the world to see. And that is for ALL FOUR events, not just F2B . This system, which we call MATs (Management and Tabulation System) was first written for the 2004 WChamps where it was successfully used, then again in 2016 in Australia, and now again in 2024. MATs is built around the dictate that there is ALWAYS a paper trail! Adopting F2B scoring pads would have entailed a major interface effort to make them work with MATs, not to mention violating the requirement for a paper trail. It didn't take long to decide, particularly since the long-term benefits to us, the organizers, was just not apparent.

Bottom line, we will use paper score sheets and a pencil, we will use tabulators to enter the data. Perhaps some other organizer 20 years from now when the next F2 World Championships is run in the United States will think differently, but not in 2024.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version