News:

• May 14, 2024, 03:08:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2024 CL Aerobatics National Championships Entry Guide and Proposed Schedule  (Read 1960 times)

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
2024 CL Aerobatics National Championships Enthusiasts,

For those that may not know me, my name is John Paris and I have volunteered to help us all get through the 2024 CL Aerobatics National Championships along with Michele Lee and a host of other people.  Based on some discussions from a few weeks ago on entry requirements for the various events, I thought it might be good to set forth the requirements early so that those that may be interested in entering the events are clear on the requirements.

I have worked with a small team of PAMPA members and support people and have developed what we think should be a good brief guide for people that normally do not participate in our US National Championships to understand what is required for the various events.  It is my hope that this is being put out early enough that people can be fully prepared for all of the events that are offered during our National Championships (4-9 Aug 24) which will occur the week before the F2 World Championships (11-17 Aug 24). 

This information has been shared with Bill Lee for inclusion in his facebook page for the World Championships so that it has more chance for wider distribution.  Please feel free to share this information with those you think may be interested.

My intent here is to explain the requirements for entry and encourage all to enter.  If there are any questions or suggestions (I am sure I missed some potential cases) please feel free to contact me. 

Attached is a PDF copy of Event Entry Requirements.  A subsequent post will have the 2022-2023 Precision Aerobatics rules which may help with understanding the events and some clarification on the BOM rule. 

This is a great opportunity to share some time with people of similar interest from around the world and I would like to be as welcoming as possible to a group of informed pilots.

John

2024 CL Precision Aerobatics Event Entry Requirements:

• World Championship (WC) competitors and alternates can enter Event 322 (Open/Senior/Junior) only as they are the best of the best from their countries
        ◦ Builder of the Model (BOM) is in effect to enter regardless of competitor's country of origin
                • Questionable models will be verified by a team of non-competitors (CL Aerobatics Event Director and perhaps some judges) prior to the submission for appearance judging.  Suggest providing some proof of construction such as pictures to help with the verification
                • Verification to be done as part of the processing and any protests should be brought forth by that time
        ◦ AMA Affiliate membership is required.  Temporary Affiliate membership is provided to WC competitors
        ◦ Entry fee is forfeited if model is deemed to be non-BOM compliant
    • Anyone may enter Advanced Class (Event 325) except WC competitors and alternates
        ◦ Standard skill level criteria applies
        ◦ AMA membership required (Regular or Affiliate)
        ◦ BOM is not in effect but appearance points will be forfeited as is normal
    • Everyone is welcome to enter the unofficial events, BOM is not in effect but appearance points will be forfeited in Intermediate, Nostalgia 30 and Classic if the pilot did not build the model
        ◦ AMA membership required (Regular, Affiliate, WC Competitor)
        ◦ Beginner:  No appearance points.  Abbreviated pattern, 6:00 time limit, separate Open and Jr/Sr classes, limited to Beginner level skill class
        ◦ Intermediate:  Full pattern, 8:00 time limit, all classes combined, limited to Intermediate level skill class
        ◦ Old Time Stunt (OTS):  No appearance points.  Airplanes designed before 1 January 1953, OTS Pattern, 8:00 time limit, all classes combined
        ◦ Nostalgia 30 (N30):  Airplanes designed 30 years or more earlier at the time of the contest, full pattern, 8:00 time limit, all classes combined
        ◦ Classic:  Airplanes designed before 1 January 1970, full pattern, 8:00 time limit, all classes combined
    • Perpetual Awards
        ◦ In the case that a non US competitor wins either the Walker Trophy or the Advanced Trophy the award will be plated with the competitor's name but the award will be retained by the Event Director to be returned the following year
            ▪ Consideration can be made for perennial attending North Americans
        ◦ For unofficial events, non US based competitors that win will have the award plated with the competitor's name but the award will be retained by the Event Director to be returned the following year
            ▪ Consideration can be made for perennial attending North Americans
        ◦ PAMPA has always awarded a trophy that the competitor can retain along with the perpetual trophy, so the contestant will have something to take even if the perpetual trophy cannot go.

EDIT:  Updated BOM requirement for unofficial events (not required but will forfeit appearance points in INT, N30 and Classic if the model was not built by the pilot)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 07:03:08 PM by John Paris »
John Paris

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: 2024 CL Aerobatics National Championships Entry Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 06:59:44 PM »
Attached is the 2022-2023 Precision Aerobatics rulebook from the AMA.  Please note that the event will actually be governed by the 2024-2025 rulebook, which will be available sometime after 1 Jan 24.  There will be some minor differences which include:

The diagram for the four leaf clover will be corrected to show that the first and fourth loops are to be inside turns, not the incorrect outside turns shown in the 22-23 rule book.

In the Judges' Guide, Paragraph 14.7.2, reference to any specific turn radius is removed and replaced by terms defining the turns to be of a tight radius to be consistent with the maneuver descriptions and diagrams of Paragraph 13.

There are several other typographical errors that are being corrected.

I will update this post with the correct version when it is available.

John

11 Oct 23 EDIT:  Clarifying which edition of the rule book will be used for the 2024 event and outlining some of the differences compared to the current edition
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 04:10:12 AM by John Paris »
John Paris

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 08:31:49 PM »
2024 CL Aerobatics National Championships Enthusiasts,

For those that may not know me, my name is John Paris and I have volunteered to help us all get through the 2024 CL Aerobatics National Championships along with Michele Lee and a host of other people.  Based on some discussions from a few weeks ago on entry requirements for the various events, I thought it might be good to set forth the requirements early so that those that may be interested in entering the events are clear on the requirements.

Thank you very much John and Michelle! While I don't think anyone is likely to try to play games with the BOM any more than the US competitors, it needed to be said up front to avoid any misunderstandings (or someone trying to make a "statement").

Completely different topic and I am not sure I have a solution. In 2004, I think we had 128 discrete entries in Open/Advanced, and it pushed the tabulation and facilities to the limit and made for a very very long day for everyone. Suppose we get a similar entry this time - are we (you and Michelle and the tabulators...) prepared for that? I can see rounds going over 4:30 each, that puts flying out to maybe 7 at night (8 AM- 1 PM, 2 PM - 7 PM) once you figure in delays, breaks, attempts etc. 

At the time it was particularly an issue, as it was mostly done "by hand" with Shareen and Lila (and that year, Elaine, I think) working till the wee hours of the morning. Software presumably makes it easier and reduces the handwork, but 7 AM to maybe 8-9 PM day after day doesn't seem reasonable or sustainable.

The idea we had after 2004 was having a 5th qualifying circle on the grass and taking 25 for "Top 20" day, but that would take more judges and software modifications, and doesn't relieve the burden on the tabulators.   Some might whine about having to fly on the grass, but the pilots have to work a total of 16 minutes all day long, they can tough it out, but you don't want to run the organizers into the ground, because I assume that a lot of them are going to do it all again the next week.   

That's only one idea we had to deal with this - all via walkie-talkies driving down I-80 for 3 days! - and I am not sure that is a good solution, or even of there is one. If it's 80-100, then no changes necessary, more than 100 starts to be a problem.

Brett

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 07:47:44 AM »
Thank you very much for this early communication John.
Outside of event 322 some of the other events such as intermediate, Nostalgia and Classic are indicated as ones where the BOM is in effect. Does this mean that appearance points are not awarded but participation is permitted?

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 09:48:18 AM »
Thank you very much for this early communication John.
Outside of event 322 some of the other events such as intermediate, Nostalgia and Classic are indicated as ones where the BOM is in effect. Does this mean that appearance points are not awarded but participation is permitted?

John,
That is correct.  The three events you have mentioned include appearance points as part of the scoring system.  If the airplane is not BOM eligible, you would forfeit the appearance points but are still welcome to fly.
John
John Paris

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 04:00:49 PM »
• Questionable models will be verified by a team of non-competitors (CL Aerobatics Event Director and perhaps some judges) prior to the submission for appearance judging.  Suggest providing some proof of construction such as pictures to help with the verification

In past years I only had to sign a statement saying I built my plane. I didn’t take pictures when I built it. Guess I can’t enter in 2024.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 06:20:51 PM »
In past years I only had to sign a statement saying I built my plane. I didn’t take pictures when I built it. Guess I can’t enter in 2024.

Did this pilot build his own plane
Trying to slip it past the others for personal gain
Outside of AMA event 322 it is no issue
If you have not built your own with stick and tissue
In this case the ED will not place blame
Towards the pilot of Jive Combat Team fame

Howard,
There is still plenty of time to build another and take plenty of pictures if you wish but I do not anticipate any problems with either your new or old dog.
John
John Paris

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 07:49:28 PM »
Did this pilot build his own plane
Trying to slip it past the others for personal gain
Outside of AMA event 322 it is no issue
If you have not built your own with stick and tissue
In this case the ED will not place blame
Towards the pilot of Jive Combat Team fame

Howard,
There is still plenty of time to build another and take plenty of pictures if you wish but I do not anticipate any problems with either your new or old dog.
John
Not if you're a slow builder like me 😆
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 06:15:32 PM »
Not if you're a slow builder like me 😆

Or Howard…

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Everyone,
Attached you will find a proposed schedule in PDF format.  Monday is going to be the busy day this time around with the shortened schedule and facility availability.  Appearance judging and the pilot's meeting will be returning to Monday in the 180 Building for 2024.  Another change for this year will be that unofficial event fees will be paid at the event site.  The AMA fee for those flying only unofficial events must still be paid to the AMA either through the online registration or on-site AMA registration. 

Again for this year if you are planning on flying multiple disciplines it will be best to call Yolanda to register.  I will pass this information along as it becomes available.

Feel free to post or send along any questions or comments.

John

« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 09:06:33 AM by John Paris »
John Paris

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Updated (14 Jan 24) CL Aerobatics Schedule for 2024 US Nationals
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 09:05:45 AM »
Everyone,
Please find a change to the Nats schedule below.  After speaking with the Mark Weiss regarding the PAMPA banquet, it was decided to not hold it this year as there would not be a group to honor in a Hall of Fame inductee ceremony.  As most know, it will be a busy year in any case with the FAI F2 World Championships following a few days after the conclusion of our own Nationals. 

I hope that building and practicing is going well for all.  The AMA has published the schedule for our Nationals, please take a look and confirm that it aligns with what I have been publishing (except for the banquet):

https://www.modelaircraft.org/iac-calendar

More information can be found here as it is added:

https://nats.modelaircraft.org/tag/nats2024

It looks like online entry can begin in February.

John

John Paris

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Updated CLPA rules for 2024-2025
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2024, 09:11:00 AM »
Everyone,
Please find the updated rules for 2024-2025 for the precision aerobatics events.  Due to size, I will only post this one, but the CL General and other discipline rules can be found here:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/events/competition-resources/competition-regulations

These will be the rules that we will be using for this year's Nationals.  I will update with a link for the rules for OTS and Classic soon.

John
John Paris

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here