News:

• May 18, 2024, 04:01:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eve of a spin-up  (Read 965 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Eve of a spin-up
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 05:10:23 PM »
Bobby, you are making the old DOC think hard about this design.   You do stupendous work. H^^ H^^ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 05:31:23 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts and kind words Steve and Doc.

Doc, the reason my work seems stupendous according to my wife is that I'm just plain stupid.... %^@

I'm very much considering working this one up into a plan if I can find someone who can cut the foam appropriately. I'm retired... #^ #^ #^ #^ #^

Later - Bob

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 07:25:27 PM »
Wow Bob
What a great series of build photos.
I’m hoping the movie will be out soon. 😉🍿

I think someone has a CnC foam cutter.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 07:33:16 PM »
All in all one of the better first days I've had with a new ship in years! Got in three full patterns and lots of 1 minute, 20 second trim flights. I'm pumped!

I never cease to be amazed at your creativity, and willingness to try something new! I said this before, and you know I wouldn't just say it if I didn't mean it  - but I can't think of *anyone* who has contributed more to the advancement of stunt than you have, it's not even close!

Thanks for showing us yet another one!

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 08:29:48 PM »
I just returned from a full day at the flying field. 4 to 6 winds, overcast and the grass cut to the nubs; nirvana!

The Double Take twin flies much better than I anticipated; now I wish I'd put s finish on it... mw~ mw~

I have a couple of brand new BadAss 2310 motors, and tomorrow I'm going to retrofit the Double Take with them at Rick and Paul Walker's suggestion. They should spin the 10 x5 props a bit better than the Park 450 motors that are currently in the ship. They came down just a bit hot with the 10 x 5 props.
Be sure and post the results.  That is the combo I am putting in Endgame IV.  It is a bit larger than yours so I am using the 2320-850.  I am still a bit leery of these tiny motors!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: Today at 05:57:32 AM »
Bob,
Great prestation and photos. Can you give us a bit more info on the battery packs and major trim adjustments you made.

Best,   DennisT

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: Today at 07:02:46 AM »
   I never cease to be amazed at your creativity, and willingness to try something new! I said this before, and you know I wouldn't just say it if I didn't mean it  - but I can't think of *anyone* who has contributed more to the advancement of stunt than you have, it's not even close!

Thanks for showing us yet another one!

Brett

Wow! Thanks, Brett! That means more to me than you know...

I vividly remember the day we traded planes after a Nats (or was it a Team Trials...?). Your glow powered - and quite large - Infinity and my smallish, electric powered Genesis Extreme.
Two planes could not seem to be more different. And yet, our handle settings were virtually identical and the pitch trim we prefer was also spot on. I think we could have flown each other's planes in the contest and not really known the difference. The same thing happened when Mike Palko and I traded planes. I flew his P-51 Mustang and he flew that same Genesis Extreme. And again we could have flown each other's planes in the contest! By the way, Mike won the contest that day... I was a close second. Maybe I should have flown the "Stang." mw~

Brett has earned the respect of everyone in the Stunt community for not only his designing and flying prowess (which is considerable), but also for his ability to look at everything from a clear technical and logical perspective, and then present his findings in a manner that we can all understand. So, right back at you my friend for your creativity and service to our community.

Later - Bob

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #57 on: Today at 08:42:58 AM »

Brett has earned the respect of everyone in the Stunt community for not only his designing and flying prowess (which is considerable), but also for his ability to look at everything from a clear technical and logical perspective, and then present his findings in a manner that we can all understand. So, right back at you my friend for your creativity and service to our community.

Bob, I couldn't agree more with your compliments. I have the privilege of flying with Brett, when he can get out, for several years now. He has a unique gift for seeing what a model airplane does in the air that the majority of flyers can't or don't see. Along with the willingness to help, Brett also possesses the ability to communicate the issues and let's you know what needs to be done to fix them. And he does this in simple terms that even a second grader (like me) can understand. Thanks Brett!

Dennis

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: Today at 04:01:38 PM »
Ken:

The .02 carbon is a tissue-like material with indiscriminate weave. Good for over solid surfaces; not good over open bays. I get mine from Aerospace Composite Products in San Leandro, CA. It used to be very affordable, but - like everything else - it has gone up in price significantly. I'm looking around for a more affordable replacement

I got some of the more affordable stuff, and it won't be a nightmare the next time -- I tried putting it on the way folks tell you to do the ACP stuff, and it was a disaster.

It turns out that some of the carbon veil has sizing that's soluable in the thinners found in dope, and some doesn't.  This isn't too surprising, because epoxy isn't dope.  After a disaster of wrinkles and failed attempts at sanding them out and cursing and another layer of tissue, etc. I heard the factoid about the sizing.  Took a scrap of the stuff, dampened it with water like it was silkspan, and it went on like a dream.

So, when you're looking, if you find something, try out a sample patch with just dope, and if that doesn't work try dampening it with water or alcohol.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here