News:

• May 27, 2024, 09:14:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Storing Tips for Small Spaces?  (Read 1170 times)

Online Kafin Noe’man

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Storing Tips for Small Spaces?
« on: September 07, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »
Hi all,

As time goes by, I keep adding new planes to my collection  LL~ LL~
Currently, I’ve got Banshee, Vector, Cardinal, and Nobler.

And since I live in an apartment and space is very limited, I’d like to know how you store your planes.
Any storing tips/ideas for small spaces?

Best,
Kafin
INA 1630
I fly: P40, XEBEC, and Cardinal

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Storing Tips for Small Spaces?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 11:00:47 AM »
Hung from the leadouts.  Either cup hooks on a bar or loops from a pipe.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 04:54:40 PM »
Hi all,

As time goes by, I keep adding new planes to my collection  LL~ LL~
Currently, I’ve got Banshee, Vector, Cardinal, and Nobler.

And since I live in an apartment and space is very limited, I’d like to know how you store your planes.
Any storing tips/ideas for small spaces?

Best,
Kafin
https://www.cram-a-lot.com/sites/default/files/apartmentcompmain.png
 LL~ LL~ LL~

Seriously, I have either hung them by their tailwheels on the wall (cover the spot where the wheels hit and put a bag over the nose to catch the drippings).  You can stagger the wings to get more to the wall or hang them from the ceiling upside down by their wheels.  If you have the floor space an angled rack works nice.  You can go floor to ceiling on a 4 x 6 corner.  A lot of guys use them.  Maybe somebody has a pix they could post. 

Ken
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 05:17:35 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 10:26:25 AM »
If you have room on your ceiling, this is a convenient way to store airplanes.  Inexpensive Hang-All storage hooks work great for this purpose.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 12:08:27 PM »
Do a search here and you will find a lot of examples.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 03:24:41 PM »
Wall space can be eaten up quickly by hanging just a few models by their tailwheel struts against the wall. If you have some space out in the room a good way to store a lot of models is horizontally. You can stagger the supports as shown in the photo below to allow a lot of planes to be stored in a fairly tight area. I use wooden dowels sunk into doubled 2 x 3 plates that are lag bolted to the wall. Then I slide air conditioning insulation sleeves over the dowels to provide a soft resting place for the wings. Works perfectly.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 09:15:29 PM »
Wall space can be eaten up quickly by hanging just a few models by their tailwheel struts against the wall. If you have some space out in the room a good way to store a lot of models is horizontally. You can stagger the supports as shown in the photo below to allow a lot of planes to be stored in a fairly tight area. I use wooden dowels sunk into doubled 2 x 3 plates that are lag bolted to the wall. Then I slide air conditioning insulation sleeves over the dowels to provide a soft resting place for the wings. Works perfectly.

Later - Bob Hunt

Bob, how do you not snag up on those tailplanes all the time?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 07:19:52 AM »
LOL! Yeah that worried me for a while, Greg, but then I just adjusted to the fact that they were there and was careful not to hit them. I also have some power tools on stands (not visible in the photo) that are stored just in front of the bench that is under the racks. It would take some doing to accidentally hit them. This would not be a problem for the planes stored in the upper slots of the racks. So, if space is an issue, and you are fearful of hitting the lower placed planes, just store a couple up high. I've had this rack for several years, and no planes have been damaged in any way. Just a suggestion...

Later - Bob
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 12:50:57 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 10:05:39 AM »
I don't know, Bob.  Looks like you knocked the rudders off most of them.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 12:17:12 AM »
I've seen racks made out of insulation foam sheet: cut slots for the wing. For stunt models, you'd have to pick pretty rigid foam sheet.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 02:15:35 PM »
My old apartment before I was married had wall racks.  It's true that hanging against the wall and against the ceiling both take no floor space. Neither do wall mounted racks.  Hanging from the leadouts does require a series of cup hooks (my rig), or a pipe, or even a garment rack.

The benefit of leadout hanging is that it places no stress on the structure.  While balsa sheeted foam probably won't dent that much from where the plane rests on the rack, silkspan on open bays is more fragile, in my experience. Even with the foam or rubber pipe insulation, some denting occurs.

thanks,

Peter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here